PDA

View Full Version : D'land Retro Slideshow example

Mort
11-13-2003, 02:52 PM
Hey Padders -

Delurking one last time to again mention Charles Phoenix's upcoming D'land retro slideshow at the REDCAT theater in Walt Disney Concert Hall in downtown LA. (The reason for this second posting is the REDCAT's website doesn't accurately list the content of this performance.)

If you ever wondered, or can't remember, what Disneyland look liked in its early years, or if your idea of an entertaining evening is to listen to humorous comments about images like this . . .

http://www.hemophiliaemergencycare.com/diz/Fant61.jpg

. . . then be sure to attend this one-time only event on Thursday, Nov. 20. at 10 pm. Cost is $10. The REDCAT boxoffice can be reached at (213) 237-2800.

For more information on Charels Phoenix and his retro slideshows, go to God Bless Americana (http://www.godblessamericana.com) .

I've now posted twice in one month. So don't expect to hear from me again until after D'land's 50th.

- Mort

[Moderator's note: Inline image dimensions and file size exceed allowable limits. Converted to a hyperlink. Please click on the URL to view the photo. -- Lani]

AVP
11-13-2003, 04:55 PM
I've seen God Bless Americana, and loved it. (And I'm not just saying that because it turns out I'm very very distantly related to Charles by marriage)

FUNNY stuff - definitely worth the drive.

AVP

MrTomMorrow
11-13-2003, 05:17 PM
Wow, you know you're getting nitpicky about Disneyland when you look at that vintage photo, see the fence behind the woman, and think to yourself, "Gee, that chain-link fence is so un-Disney."

(However, it does look as if theming has been added at the top of the fence.)

TheatreTech
11-13-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by MrTomMorrow
"Gee, that chain-link fence is so un-Disney."
The fence was the first thing that I noticed. (Even before a few certain details in the background :cough:which never should have left.) :rolleyes:

Morrigoon
11-20-2003, 08:20 PM
Last minute.. anyone wanna go?

TerryTiger
11-20-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Mort
Hey Padders -

If you ever wondered, or can't remember, what Disneyland look liked in its early years, or if your idea of an entertaining evening is to listen to humorous comments about images like this . . .

http://www.hemophiliaemergencycare.com/diz/Fant61.jpg

[/SIZE]

OMG!

I believe that woman in the front right of that pic is my dear long-departed Aunt Elsie from Rochester NY! She and my uncle often visited us here in SoCal in the 50's and 60's. Where did that image come from???

merlinjones
11-21-2003, 12:39 AM
I went to this presentation tonight and was blown away by the magnificent Kodachrome images!

The place was packed and those 50's and 60's shots of Tomorrowland created a sensation, with audible gasps, oohs and ahhs greeting the House of the Future exterior and interior, Flying Saucers, Phantom Boats, Rocket Jets, Moonliner, Skyway, original Monorail, etc. If only Disneyland management could hear these responses... it's not just the usual geeks that adore this space-age era of design.

truly transcendant evening.