PDA

View Full Version : Biggest tourist mistakes while visiting DLR?

Pages : [1] 2

JosieGirl71
11-13-2003, 10:21 AM
I saw this thread on the WDW board and thought it would be a great thread to start on here.

What are the biggest mistakes tourists make while visiting Disneyland? What other helpful hints for visitors?

Gemini Cricket
11-13-2003, 10:28 AM
People don't drink enough water
Lots of guests stress out by trying to do everything in one day, do Disneyland in 2 days and take one day to do DCA, if at all...
People need to wear suncreen even when the day is overcast
(Something iSm told me) You shouldn't wear jeans on the wet rides, they'll never dry...

tod
11-13-2003, 10:47 AM
Wearing new shoes. Or fashionable shoes. Or any shoes that aren't comfortable as all get-out.
Rushing through Main Street without enjoying the ambience, without looking at the second-story windows (Try to find the Chinese restaurant), or taking a peek at the Main Street Cinema or the candy makers at work.
Going to DCA.
Rushing at all. Disneyland is like a Las Vegas buffet: There's more than you can eat in one visit. So know what you want to see, and be ready to improvise: Nobody makes it a point to see Snow White's Grotto, but it captivates everybody who sees it.
Not understanding Fastpass. Read up.
Looking for thrills instead of simple pleasures.
Not knowing the history. The little in-jokes are very rewarding if you get them, like the images of the House Of The Future throughout Tomorrowland and the Hidden Mickeys.

That's a start, at least.

--T
:fez:

MotorBoat Cruiser
11-13-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
(Something iSm told me) You shouldn't wear jeans on the wet rides, they'll never dry...

I can attest to this. I rode the grizzly rapids early in the day when it was overcast. I was one of the lucky riders to get absolutely drenched. My jeans were still wet when we left that evening.

An obvious fix would be to buy one of those neat $6 ponchos that they sell next door. They worked well enough that the last time I was there, we rode 3 times in a row and were saved from a soaking. Obviously, a soaking can be quite refreshing on a hot day, but a november evening? Get the poncho. :)

experiment626
11-13-2003, 10:56 AM
Not doing any research before going!

miss_sonja
11-13-2003, 10:57 AM
--assuming you'll never get to come back

I used to live in California and my family would go to Disneyland about once a year or so. Now I'm in Seattle, and it just seems so far away (especially with two kids).

But...I try remember that we *will* come back. Makes it more fun in a way, because there's something to look forward to for the next visit.

lilbitopxedust
11-13-2003, 11:08 AM
(the first item is more applicable at this time of year than the summer season, but I've heard people complaining about this, so...)

- Contrary to popular opinion, it can and DOES get cold in Southern California, especially in the evenings. Bring at least a light sweatshirt for nighttime use. In the winter, a heavier sweatshirt or even a PolarFleece jacket will be suitable.

- FastPasses do not really "expire" until the end of the day they were issued. If you were supposed to come back to Pirates between 2:30 and 3:30 and didn't make it, it's ok. You can still come back at 3:45, or 4:30, or even 10:30 that night, and the FastPass is still good. So calm down. All is not lost.

- Travel light. The CMs at the bag check table will appreciate this, as will you when you have to drag that backpack around all day long. This is doubly applicable if you have a diaper bag. It's not necessary to bring your 2-month-old's entire layette...an extra change of clothes, an extra blanket, and enough bottles and diapers/wipes to last the day should suffice.

- Take a two or three-hour long break in the middle of the day or the early evening to relax back at the hotel. If the kids are crying and whining about how tired they are, don't push them. Disneyland can be overwhelming. Let them take it in at a reasonable pace.

- and...oh, yeah...if you leave the park and plan to come back the same day, keep your ticket and get a handstamp (at the exit)!

Bill Catherall
11-13-2003, 11:53 AM
- Assuming you have to do everything as a group.

Don't be afraid to split up and meet back later. Cell phones make this really easy and convenient. Two-way radios are okay, but not as reliable.

My favorite thing to do is to take just one of the kids, by myself, on something of their choice. Maybe something new and different that they haven't done before. During that time we'll also take our time to "smell the flowers." I'll rotate through the kids during the day making sure each one of them gets to spend equal alone time with me. It's very magical and relaxing for me, and hopefully builds equally fond memories for them. We still get to spend plenty of time together with the rest of the group.

Nephythys
11-13-2003, 01:02 PM
IMO- trying to do too much. I am guilty of this myself. I glut myself on Disneyland for hours and hours and then wear out too soon and then it is not as fun.

Also IMO, NOT going to DCA is a mistake. There are charming, fun, delightful things to do there as well.

NOT seeing Fantasmic! A co-worker of mine went to DLR in October and chose ELP over Fantasmic because a CM told them it was scary and hard to see. URGH!! They had one chance to see it and they missed it.I LOVE ELP, but if you only can see one, Fantasmic is IT! I loaned him my dvd of my home video of the show and he was sorry to have missed it.

Missing out on rides because they have small kids. Many people I know who have gone do not know or think to split up and have one person watch the kids while the other goes on the ride. So they miss out on some of the greatest attractions available. Or they think it is too scary for their kids (obviously all kids are different but this is a parents misconception, not the kids) and don't try something. That's a real shame!

hbquikcomjamesl
11-13-2003, 01:09 PM
You shouldn't wear jeans on the wet rides, they'll never dry... Personally, I only ride those on rainy days, anyway. And my clothing of choice for such rides? A waterproof jacket and a sou'wester. (My rain-parka was an as-is, that was missing its detachable hood, but I was able to find a sou'wester that almost matches it, at an online ship chandlery.

Then again, I'm also the same fellow who always wears argyle socks with sandals, and considers the combination to be a fashion statement (one that says, "you bet your sweet equus asinius I'm wearing socks!)

mousey_girl
11-13-2003, 02:34 PM
Don't overplan. Give yourself some breathing room. Don't try to do everyting at a set time. Take some time just to sit and people watch. Go through the entire que at HMH and enjoy the different things done for the holidays. Watch the water birds. Talk to the ducks and swans. They are extremly soothing to watch and help you to relax.

Don't be afraid to act like a giddy child when you see a character or something new. That is what DL is for.

Don't over-read about the bad stuff. It will taint your entire view. Take some time to wander around DCA. Form your OWN opinions about everything. Forget the bad and just enjoy that you are there.

If there is a restaraunt that you just HAVE to eat at, try to make your reservations in advance. The number is on the Disneyland website. You can make reservations up to 30 days out.

If there is a show you just HAVE to see or a ride you just HAVE to ride, do it as early in the day as possible. That way you don't stress yourself out as the day wears on and you haven't done it yet.

Use the rental lockers. They are wonderful tools.

Dress in layers. This will save you if the weather changes.

Don't be afraid to ask a CM if you need help. Answering questions is part of their job. I have never encountered an unhelpful or unfriendly CM. Always thank them, no matter what they did for you. If you see them being mistreated by a guest in front of you, go out of your way to give them a big, understanding smile. You can help to turn their day around.

Remeber, above all, you are there to have the time of your life. If something doesn't go as planned be flexible and do something else. If you go in expecting to have a bad time you will not be disappointed. If you go in with the reverse expectation you will not be disappointed.

iwannabeanimagineer
11-13-2003, 03:33 PM
I always thought the biggest tourist mistake at DLR was taking a tired grumpy child into the Emporium on Main Street 10 minutes after all the rides close so they can pitch a fit in the huge crowd, knocking down and breaking several expensive ceramic figurines for which Dad gets to pay.

Oh and paying OVER $90 for my family to have a mediocre breakfast with Pooh, Piglet and Eeyore.

Oh and one more: Going on Superstar Limo out of curiosity. Glad I can't make that mistake again!

Pat-n-Eil
11-13-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by tod
Going to DCA.

I find this an interesting perspective from someone so adept and hooked on the Millionaire game - which is in DCA.

I think you just want it all for yourself! :)

sleepyjeff
11-13-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by lilbitopxedust

- FastPasses do not really "expire" until the end of the day they were issued. If you were supposed to come back to Pirates between 2:30 and 3:30 and didn't make it, it's ok. You can still come back at 3:45, or 4:30, or even 10:30 that night, and the FastPass is still good. So calm down. All is not lost.

Now this is a gem of information I did not know:) I really could have used this info last June. Oh well, only 337 days before my next visit.:)

iwannabeanimagineer
11-13-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by lilbitopxedust
Ya, well, I'm hoping my 4 It's a Small World fastpasses from 2001 will fetch a big price on e-bay.;)

zapppop
11-13-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by tod
Going to DCA.

That's #1 on my 'do not' list!

My advice to tourist is to have a flexible schedule or no schedule at all. When I visited Euro Disney in 2002, I just did whatever I wanted, whenever I felt like it, and as a result, had a wonderful time. There were a few rides and shows I wanted to see, but I took my time getting to each one, and enjoyed everything comfortably. So I say, if you're planning to stay at the Disneyland Resort for 3 days or more, just take your time and relax; and if you're staying for 2 days or just 1, make a flexible plan or short list of things you would like to do. Keep in mind, rides can breakdown on any given day, so if one of them goes 101, check back later and move on to something else. Most of the time, rides comes back up in an hour or two.

Along the lines of ride breakdowns, tourists forget about ride refurbishments. Many times I hear people complain that they came all the way from (wherever) and they're favorite ride is closed today. Ride refurbs are listed on Disneyland's official website and you can call the resort as well. Please check the refurb schedule so you'll know what rides will be closed during your visit.

Please check the entertainment schedule in advance as well. I've seen people sit along the river in Frontierland thinking Fantasmic will be performed when it's on hiatus. You can imagine how annoying that would be.

Disneyland's daily operating hours vary. Find out what they are for the days you're visiting. I remember standing in City Hall listening to a woman complaining that she didn't know Disneyland was closing at 6PM today and she had to leave tomorrow for Hawaii. The poor CM asked her what she wanted him to do to appease her, and she said " I don't know! You're Disney! You tell me! " :rolleyes: Find out what the operating hours are for the days you're visiting.

Just because Disneyland is in Southern California, that does not mean the weather will be sunny and warm every day. These past two Sundays it was warm in the daytime, but once the sun went down, it got pretty darn cold (well, for So.Cal. anyway). Bring clothes for cool weather, as well as warm.

Those are some of my tips for tourists.

tod
11-13-2003, 04:07 PM
After I said "Going to DCA" as a possible tourist faux pas, Pat&Eil said:

Originally posted by Pat&Eil
I find this an interesting perspective from someone so adept and hooked on the Millionaire game - which is in DCA.

I think you just want it all for yourself! :)

My belief is that DCA has a couple of gold nuggets concealed among several tons of gravel. (Worse, this is very subjective: One guest's gold is another guest's gravel.) If one has time, and a year of prepaid admission, one can find them at an unhurried pace and enjoy them at one's leisure.

If, however, one is a tourist, with limited exploration time, one would be better served at Disneyland, (to continue the metaphor) where there is more gold, and it's more evenly distributed.

--T

Freerider127
11-13-2003, 04:12 PM
You will have more fun if your not rushing and planning out every single move of the day just enjoy yourself being a DL and you will have more fun.

sleepyjeff
11-13-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by tod

If, however, one is a tourist, with limited exploration time, one would be better served at Disneyland, (to continue the metaphor) where there is more gold, and it's more evenly distributed.

--T

Your wright. DCA is maid up of two much gravel. Its' much better at Disneyland ware won can get closer too the magic. Theirs so much to do at Disneyland. You can fly away with Peter Pan. Sail away with Pirates. Its' just a great place to be. I cant' wait to go back their someday. Until than, I guess I will just torture a copy editor.:)

newhdplayer
11-13-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by JosieGirl71
I saw this thread on the WDW board and thought it would be a great thread to start on here.

What are the biggest mistakes tourists make while visiting Disneyland? What other helpful hints for visitors?

Reading too much MP whining about the state of the park and being influenced negatively, all before even setting foot onto the property.

Pat-n-Eil
11-14-2003, 07:15 AM
I've been going to Disneyland at least once per year since 1996. I agree with many of the observations in this thread - and so I find myself guilty of some of these good bits of advice.

The #1 tourist thing I still do is rush through Main Street.. I know I should stop and enjoy the ambience - and believe me, I do like main street. But I usualy end up flying to Splash Mountain to get a FastPass while my family stops to get a muffin or cinnamon roll and coffee/cocoa. Then when I get back, I usually have a nibble of their leftovers and then we continue on..

Of course, this will be the first time that I won't want to run to Space Mountain after getting my Splash Mountain FastPass - and of course with Thunder Mountain out of commission, we may have to focus on some of the other aspects of Dland..

I have promised myself to take in the Tiki Room (for the first time ever!) after reading this forum.. and maybe some of the Fantasyland attractions - which I've never really given much time to.. but I'll have to convince my kids of that :)

(and as unpopular as it is, we will be spending major hours at DCA - we're staying at the Grand Californian).

Ok.. just a week and a half to go...

iwannabeanimagineer
11-14-2003, 07:39 AM
I have promised myself to take in the Tiki Room (for the first time ever!) after reading this forum...
My advice: keep your expectations low and get there early enough to see all the Tikis in the Tiki Garden perform...or wait until the next show so you don't miss them. Oh, and have some pineapple sherbet while you wait.

...and maybe some of the Fantasyland attractions - which I've never really given much time to.. but I'll have to convince my kids of that :)
I love everything in Fantasyland except Small World and Snow White, so I heartily endorse your plan. And the long queue for Peter Pan is still worth it.

...(and as unpopular as it is, we will be spending major hours at DCA - we're staying at the Grand Californian).
I heartily endorse this plan as well. It's a great park, in my opinion, despite other Padders opinions to the contrary.

Have fun!

(Just 38 days to go until our next visit...see you there, Bill!)

tod
11-14-2003, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by sleepyjeff
Your wright. DCA is maid up of two much gravel. Its' much better at Disneyland ware won can get closer too the magic. Theirs so much to do at Disneyland. You can fly away with Peter Pan. Sail away with Pirates. Its' just a great place to be. I cant' wait to go back their someday. Until than, I guess I will just torture a copy editor.:)

Happy place, happy place, going to a happy place, la la la

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

--T
happy

Bill Catherall
11-14-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by iwannabeanimagineer
(Just 38 days to go until our next visit...see you there, Bill!) And just maybe I'll make some Dole Whip that puts that Tiki stuff to shame. ;)

iwannabeanimagineer
11-14-2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Bill Catherall
And just maybe I'll make some Dole Whip that puts that Tiki stuff to shame. ;)
Cool! And I'll make Monte Cristos and Mint Juleps.