PDA

View Full Version : Chef's Table/Counter @ Napa Rose

itsinthemagic
11-12-2003, 04:59 PM
I will be in DL in April and for a special treat, my fiancé and I decided that we wanted to eat at Napa Rose. However, after seeing Great Hotels w/ Samantha Brown this morning, we're hoping to now get the Chef's Table/Counter. Does anyone know how to make reservations for this? How far in advance will they let you book? Will they let us in or do we have to be VIPs? :D

AVP
11-13-2003, 08:37 AM
What's interesting about the counter is that it's often the last table taken. "We have a 45-minute wait for dinner, or you can sit at the counter." "Um... we'll wait."

Tony and I have twice made same-day counter reservations - and one of those was Thanksgiving. "Sorry, we're totally sold out - unless you want to sit at the counter."

You don't need to be a VIP, but I would call as soon as your dates are firm.

AVP

cstephens
11-13-2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by itsinthemagic
I will be in DL in April and for a special treat, my fiancé and I decided that we wanted to eat at Napa Rose. However, after seeing Great Hotels w/ Samantha Brown this morning, we're hoping to now get the Chef's Table/Counter. Does anyone know how to make reservations for this? How far in advance will they let you book? Will they let us in or do we have to be VIPs? :D

As an additional note, there are three separate counter areas - one in front of the entree-making part of the kitchen, one in front of the salad-making part of the kitchen (both of those counters are higher-up so I think you're sitting on barstools) and one that is directly in front of the dessert-making part of the kitchen (regular seating there). I don't know whether they'd let you specify which counter you want to sit at in your reservation, but something to keep in mind in case you have a preference and want to ask.

disneymeimei
11-14-2003, 06:08 AM
How about a couple more questions:
1. How many counter seats are available?
2. What is the price range for "counter" service? Do you know if the wine is optional?
3. Just how noisy is it sitting that close to the kitchen.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

On a side note, our family really enjoys Samantha Brown. She is a real delight!!

On our way to the magic in fifteen days!!

cstephens
11-14-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by disneymeimei
How about a couple more questions:
1. How many counter seats are available?
2. What is the price range for "counter" service? Do you know if the wine is optional?
3. Just how noisy is it sitting that close to the kitchen.

1. I don't know exactly, but from a guess, I'd say there's a total of 10 or 12?

2. The available menu is the same for the counter as it is for table service, and presumably, you'd be able to order wine there just as you could at a table.

3. Not having been at the counter yet, I can't say for sure, but I wouldn't think it would be that bad. It's an open kitchen anyway (here's a picture (http://www.colddeadfish.net/images/Napa/kitchen.jpg) to give you an idea of what it looks like), so it's not like it can be that noisy because everyone would be able to hear it. Sitting at a table, I've never noticed that the kitchen was being loud. However, someone else who's actually been at the counter could give you a real answer though.

Have a good time!

Demigod121
11-14-2003, 10:15 AM
I SO want to go to the Napa Rose...can anyone tell me if the food is any good? Has anyone done the 4-course 4-wine thingy that I read about? How was it?

-Demigod

cyberRoo
11-14-2003, 10:18 AM
I haven't eaten at the Napa Rose, but we did request counter seats when we ate at California Grill in October, and based on the other responses here, I suspect that it's a similar experience.

We loved sitting at the counter, but we're the types who enjoy watching the action in the kitchen, we weren't looking for a big romantic evening. Frankly, it's pretty difficult to be "romantic" sitting on bar stools and not facing each other! But we had a great time talking to the pastry chef, who slipped us a few samples, and watching all of the food come out of the kitchen. We didn't feel like it was especially noisy at the counter.

If you're looking for a very traditional, elegant, nice restaurant experience, I think you'd be disappointed in the counter. If you're into food and whatnot, and interesting in a different restaurant experience, I highly recommend it. In fact, we're probably more likely to try Napa Rose now that I know that they have a counter!

(keeping in mind that this is all based on a completely different disney restaurant!)

cstephens
11-14-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Demigod121
I SO want to go to the Napa Rose...can anyone tell me if the food is any good? Has anyone done the 4-course 4-wine thingy that I read about? How was it?

-Demigod

Yes, the food is quite good, though it's also fairly eclectic so won't be to everyone's tastes. We've had the prix fixe a couple of times and enjoyed it each time, but there are other times when we've seen the prix fixe menu offerings and it didn't appeal to us, so it's kind of hit and miss as far as whether or not you'd like that particular week's offerings. I've never had a bad meal there, though. And the wine's been pretty good from what I've been told.

In case you're interested, here's the current dining room menu (http://www.colddeadfish.net/naparose/napamenu.html), here's the current lounge menu (http://www.colddeadfish.net/naparose/napaloungemenu.html), and on this page (http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlrdining.html), you'll find links to a couple of dinner reviews. There are links to reviews of Sunday brunch there as well, but unfortunately, that's no longer offered.

Oh, and another website has some recent info about Napa Rose posted at this location (http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID10018320.asp?Headline=1&Date=11/14/2003&Section=).

prudence
11-14-2003, 10:58 AM
We did the 4 course menu in June and my husbnad and I split the 4 wines. (The waiter very nicely poured us each a half glass of each wine.) I'd never had wine matched to courses before and that was a real treat. The menu was amazing. I ate things I wouldn't normally eat and they were wonderful. Pacing was wonderful. Just enough time to breathe between courses. About the time we'd start to wonder what the next course would be -- it would suddenly appear. It was expensive, and we weren't planning on doing it again when were there in a month, but we probably will anyway.

itsinthemagic
11-15-2003, 03:38 PM
Everyone, thank you so much for all the information! Unfortunately, I won't be able to order the wine course (one month shy of my 21st birthday), which is really sad for me, since I'm Canadian and used to being able to order wine with my dinner (Canadian liquor laws are different).

Oh well... I guess we'll just have to have a bottle sent up to our room (since he is over 21)... since it's our honeymoon, we'd better make that champagne!