PDA

View Full Version : Now what with Toontown and Tomorrowland?

Pages : [1] 2

Nightwing
08-19-2015, 01:50 PM
Since we now know where SWL will go. I have a question. Should say two question but same problem.

Both Toontown and Tomorrowland need something. But from the sound of thing for that last few months and from last weekend. Both sound like they are staying. But what will become of both? It does make sense to uses that corner that not really used for the new land. This give them more park area for visitors than converting one place to another. And they are not "Down" a land while it would be converted so to speak.

Could Toontown get a revival when Duck Tales comes back next year? Since Tomorroland movie did not jump at the box office could they still use ideas from the film to revive the area? Star Tours could be "moved" to the new land with updated ride equipment. May be this is the where you fly and battle as in the descriptions from D23?

olegc
08-20-2015, 11:28 AM
to me - nothing will be done to TLAND or Toontown in the next few years - maybe 10. you may see plussing going on, such as Seasons of the Force overlays and changes to offerings in the INnoventions building - but I think these two areas are loss-leaders (or at least just losses) right now and the sole focus over the next 5 to 6 years will be to put SW Land on the map. One of Iger's final acts as CEO - to launch those lands and see them open. So I would assume nothing else gets in the way (except maybe some form of My Magic+ coming to town). How many times did we wonder if Hollywoodland would get much needed updates now that Carsland was being built, and such a hit afterwards. Now that SW Land was announced - folks say "holly-who?". All the budget dollars will go to SW Land except for break-fix, some entertainment or event-based items, and maintenance/refurbishment in my opinion. I still hold belief that Star Tours will not move. I am on the unpopular side of that discussion but if you wait until SW Land is built out to move it, and then start Marvel, you have an almost 15 year window and by then who knows..

bumblebeeonarose
08-20-2015, 12:46 PM
I still hold belief that Star Tours will not move.

I agree. It's not that it's not possible, it's just unlikely. But, hey, we could be wrong.

goalieump413
08-20-2015, 05:06 PM
Even if Star Tours does end up getting moved, it'll end up being the old man in the family. Maybe it would be better to keep it out of SWL. Besides, I'd bet that most of the money Disney spends at DL (who knows about WDW) on SWL will go to a whole new experience, not necessarily forklifting ST over to SWL right away. If they did move ST, it would have to be up and running from day one, or Disney risks construction walls on opening day. Not likely...

Nightwing
08-20-2015, 11:10 PM
Star Tours would probably be move as in its SW theme would be moved. While updates and re-theme the current one.

sjhanksaz
08-21-2015, 07:39 AM
Toon Town

Needs the following (more than a fresh coat of paint)

Fix up all the stuff that does not work. When the area opened it was really cool. All kinds of little hidden things that made noise or that you could interact with. Quite a few of them are gone or don't work anymore.

Last time I went through Mickey's house I was surprised at how beat up it was......

Add SHADE - trees or something. That area is like a furnace. I swear on any given day it feels 15 degrees warmer in that place.

experiment626
08-21-2015, 03:03 PM
It's possible that "Star Tours" will not move but also not be Star Tours, any longer. To me it would be very odd to have a Star Wars Land across the park from a Star Wars attraction.

It is a simulator, they could likely easily change it out for another theme.

JPPT1974
08-21-2015, 03:12 PM
Nobody likes change it seems. But at times, change can be good!

sjhanksaz
08-21-2015, 05:18 PM
It's possible that "Star Tours" will not move but also not be Star Tours, any longer. To me it would be very odd to have a Star Wars Land across the park from a Star Wars attraction.

How about while you are on the ride it goes into a tunnel and you end up in SWL

bumblebeeonarose
08-22-2015, 06:58 AM
Fix up all the stuff that does not work. When the area opened it was really cool. All kinds of little hidden things that made noise or that you could interact with. Quite a few of them are gone or don't work anymore.
Add SHADE - trees or something. That area is like a furnace. I swear on any given day it feels 15 degrees warmer in that place.

It's sad that Disney can't have "nice" things because people sue them. A slide, a ball pit, a bounce house? That sounds like a blast for the 5 and under group. All gone the way of Yesterland. Other parks have play structures. It's pretty ridiculous that they can't even have the slide at Chip and Dale's treehouse. The "slide" near Goofy's house is a joke. It isn't slippery at all.

I wish they'd plant more trees there too. It is hotter than the rest of the park with so much asphalt every where. We usually go in the morning when the crowds are a little lighter and the temperature is more mild. We had a nice visit in Toon Town this May. They had Donald out for visits, which was not a character we'd seen there before. He was a blast. He was outside Roger Rabbit's ride though. He should have been by his house like Goofy meets near his house. They ought to have Roger Rabbit meeting outside his ride. Maybe now that the ranch is closing they'll have Roger Rabbit occasionally do meets near his ride in the spring since they can't have the spring time round-up any more.

Nightwing
08-22-2015, 07:19 AM
It's sad that Disney can't have "nice" things because people sue them. A slide, a ball pit, a bounce house? That sounds like a blast for the 5 and under group. All gone the way of Yesterland. Other parks have play structures. It's pretty ridiculous that they can't even have the slide at Chip and Dale's treehouse. The "slide" near Goofy's house is a joke. It isn't slippery at all.

I wish they'd plant more trees there too. It is hotter than the rest of the park with so much asphalt every where. We usually go in the morning when the crowds are a little lighter and the temperature is more mild. We had a nice visit in Toon Town this May. They had Donald out for visits, which was not a character we'd seen there before. He was a blast. He was outside Roger Rabbit's ride though. He should have been by his house like Goofy meets near his house. They ought to have Roger Rabbit meeting outside his ride. Maybe now that the ranch is closing they'll have Roger Rabbit occasionally do meets near his ride in the spring since they can't have the spring time round-up any more.

Was there for the hidden Mickey's in the mid afternoon last month! Man outside was hot and in Mickey's house trying to find the hidden one felt way hotter! >_<

Nightwing
08-22-2015, 07:22 AM

Agree! Think in Flordia one of the motion rides like this is a shrink journey. AKA like the old Journey through Innerspace style.

Disneylandfan85
08-23-2015, 10:58 AM
Both Toontown and Tomorrowland need something.

[...]

Could Toontown get a revival when Duck Tales comes back next year?

I know Toontown needs help, but I doubt Duck Tales is the way to go. My idea is to scrap everything between Mickey's House and the entrance. That means that Chip 'n' Dale's Treehouse, Gadget's Go Coaster, Donald's Boat and Goofy's Playhouse are all gone! In their places are a couple of new rides!

First, going in the place once occupied by Donald's Boat, Chip 'n' Dale's Treehouse and Gadget's Go Coaster, is a brand-new family coaster. In the past, most coasters have had a Goofy theme (i.e., the Great Goofini's Barnstormer, Goofy's Sky School), but not this time. No, this time, the family coaster's theme is now on Donald Duck, and the coaster track is based on the one used for the Slinky Dog coaster being added to the new Toy Story land at the Studios! This ride will be set in a brand-new house of Donald's, which will take over the property once occupied by Donald's old boat, Gadget's Go Coaster and Chip 'n' Dale's Treehouse. The new house, where the queue is, will be a mashup of a boat and a house, and look something like this (the concept is based on the abandoned concept of Mickeyville, but done in the Donald color scheme of blue, white and yellow):
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_OO7WbmARD08/SQoROaB6dkI/AAAAAAAAJGE/g1T_YpXT_ow/s400/Donald'sDock90.jpg

The theme will be one of Donald opening up some kind of an airboat school/service thing. It will fly over a new lake. The ride will be called Donald's Air Academy (as a response to Goofy's Sky School at the California Adventure). The queue will be in Donald's new boat-house/house-boat/house and boat, as stated earlier. It will feature several interactive elements. One is a rope based on the one you can pull in the queue of the Indiana Jones ride (a sign nearby tells you not to do it). You pull on that and a British-sounding man yells at you for doing so. You can pull on this rope in this queue and hear Donald yelling at you for doing so. Also in the queue is this big map on the wall, looking like this one in WDW's long-gone Toontown Fair (in fact, maybe Disneyland can claim ownership of the real deal here now that Toontown Fair is gone (just revise the direction "To Toontown Fair" to "To Mickey's Toontown"):
http://land.allears.net/blogs/photoblog/Donald_Ducks_Boat_in_the_Magic_Kingdom.jpg

Another interactive element in the queue is another rope, supposedly attached to the boat's steam whistle. But when you pull on it, not only does the whistle on the boat emit a boat whistle-like sound, but instead of steam, the whistle sprays out a blast of water onto passersby outside the boat and just walking around. It could provide a nice refreshing treat on a hot day. When the weather gets colder out, it can be reduced or even turned off altogether.

Anyway, onto the roller coaster itself: the roller coaster train looks like a cross between an airboat and the Spruce Goose. It will look like a boat, but have its wings on the bow, a propeller on the front and a tail with an airboat propeller on the back. Along the bottom of the boat-plane would be a huge rubber raft-like thing (at least that's how it's supposed to look), making it also look something like a hovercraft. It could be something like how in "Plane Crazy", Mickey made up his plane from a car. As if named after the Spruce Goose, the plane in the new ride will be called the Drake (as in "Von Drake", suggesting that Ludwig Von Drake built this after Donald designed it) D-34 Swooper, or commonly called the Deciduous Duck (since the Spruce Goose was largely made of wood). Thus, the makeshift flying boat/seaplane/airboat craft would be called the Deciduous Duck. Also, the craft will be painted in the Donald color scheme: blue, yellow and white. Just as you head out the back door of Donald's home, you pass by plans for the new plane, created by Von Drake

Okay, now that we got the description of the roller coaster train out of the way, let's move on to the ride's path. The roller coaster will fly up and over the new Toon lake, dodging characters try to take aim at you with water, such as spitting frogs perched on the rocks (they're actually the same ones previously used in Gadget's Go Coaster) or Donald's nephews, Huey, Dewey and Louie, all scattered about the lake and firing water cannons and squirt guns at you. There's also Goofy in a boat, trying to fish. He's caught a bite, but the fish in question is dragging his line along and spinning his boat around. This boat accidentally kicks up water in your path. The idea is that Donald, as part of his service, is having you take out his new Deciduous Duck aircraft for a test flight, but it seems that there are more than a few bugs to work out (hence the roller coaster part).

Similar to the Great Goofini coaster at WDW, Donald's Air Academy may or may not have Fastpass. Like Gadget's Go Coaster before it, it will also be sponsored by Sparkle paper towels. It will also have a Single Rider option.

Oh, and one more thing: to give you an idea of the entrance to the ride, here's a video I found from a Donald-themed special event at Tokyo Disneyland (look at 0:20; it's a don't-blink-or-you'll-miss-it moment, I know, but it gives you an idea):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIKlg688YOw

Next time, I will do the second idea of mine for improving Mickey's Toontown. Until then, what did you think of my idea for the new family coaster?

ButchyBoy
08-23-2015, 08:05 PM
I'm very surprised no one at Disney has asked Joss Wedon to help create a 17-minute Avengers 4D Attraction. Short of that happening (if ever), I say bring the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor to the Magic "Eye" Theatre :)

danyoung
08-24-2015, 11:24 AM
Agree! Think in Flordia one of the motion rides like this is a shrink journey. AKA like the old Journey through Innerspace style.

That was called Body Wars, and is sadly no longer working.

Nightwing
08-24-2015, 09:58 PM
That was called Body Wars, and is sadly no longer working.

Though so... But not sure... Tnks!

Nikara
08-25-2015, 07:32 PM
I'm very surprised no one at Disney has asked Joss Wedon to help create a 17-minute Avengers 4D Attraction. Short of that happening (if ever), I say bring the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor to the Magic "Eye" Theatre :)

Joss Whedon has directed his last Avengers movie, so I doubt that he is interested (he was super burned out at the end of Ultron). However, I think the idea that something Marvel theme could replace Star Tours is very believable. They use some pretty futuristic technology in those movies, and I could see them using one of their characters to help update Tomorrowland (once Star Wars land is complete, not before)

Disneylandfan85
08-26-2015, 11:57 AM
What did you think of my idea for the new family coaster in Toontown to replace Donald's Boat and Gadget's Go Coaster? It's called "Donald's Air Academy" and it's on post #13.

3Princesses1Prince
08-26-2015, 08:23 PM
I think eventually Star Tours should be rethemed to Avengers. Maybe flying the Quinn jet?

sjhanksaz
08-27-2015, 06:06 AM
What did you think of my idea for the new family coaster in Toontown to replace Donald's Boat and Gadget's Go Coaster? It's called "Donald's Air Academy" and it's on post #13.

Kind of like the one at WDW

I would like that

MadasaHatter
08-27-2015, 06:17 AM

Sounds cute. I think something like this would indeed be a good idea since DUCK TALES is a bit done and GOOFY AND DONALD'S houses are a bit big now that they do not serve a purpose. I think a coaster like the 7 Dwarves mine train would be cool.

Another fun idea could come from maybe a CHIP N DALE ride with Donald as the villain since they are always tormenting him......that could be fun. So many ideas.

candles71
08-27-2015, 07:11 PM
First of all Hatter, Gadget is not from Ducktales. It is from Rescue Rangers.
Second, Ducktales is coming back next year so there. ;)
I love Gadget's Coaster.

Disneylandfan85
08-30-2015, 12:38 PM
Sounds cute. I think something like this would indeed be a good idea since DUCK TALES is a bit done and GOOFY AND DONALD'S houses are a bit big now that they do not serve a purpose. I think a coaster like the 7 Dwarves mine train would be cool.

I don't think they have the room for a Seven Dwarfs Mine Train ride back there. I was thinking of doing something like a copy of the upcoming Slinky Dog coaster at the new Toy Story area.

Anyway, here's the second idea of mine for improving Mickey's Toontown. The first idea involved Donald, so now the second idea involves Goofy...

Goofy's Playhouse is replaced by a new version of Goofy's Paint 'n' Playhouse. However, it won't just be a simple walk-up area. It will now be a dark ride! It seems that Goofy is not entirely satisfied with just updating one room in his house. He wants to do several other rooms. The ride vehicles are two-person ride vehicles that depart in pairs of twos, like the Monsters Inc. ride at Tokyo Disneyland. They are Goof-Karts, couches on wheels and mounted with Splat Masters, used to do the painting. They are based on the Goof-Kart from this old Goofy comic book:
http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/four-color/1201-1.jpg

Once on your Goof-Kart, you first pass by an AA Goofy informing you to fix up three rooms in his house: his living room, his kitchen and his bedroom. In each room, as in the Tokyo Disneyland original, you use your Splat Master to shoot virtual paint at moving and static objects for about a minute at a time, while Goofy (actually speaking English, not Japanese) is heard rooting you on during the whole process.

As in the original Tokyo version, you get a different random theme each time in every room. However, since you're doing three rooms instead of just one, the number of themes expands, and the themes from the original are also spread out over the rooms. For instance, the spaceship can still used as the theme of the living room, but the Western saloon is now used in the kitchen, and the jungle is now seen in the bedroom. But because of all the different possible random scenes, no two trips on this ride will be the same (the spaceship-themed living room, the saloon-themed kitchen and the jungle-themed bedroom is just one example).

At the end, Goofy congratulates you on a job well done, but accidentally hits a big red button that triggers a reset of the whole house (the button is there for in case of being dissatisfied with the house), much to his embarrassment and invites you to come back and try again, because he enjoys your help. You then exit out through his garage, which has more license plates mounted on the walls like those in the queue for the Roger Rabbit ride. There are eight in all. Here is the list, arranged alphabetically and spelled out in parentheses, where necessary: 1) DUMBO; 2) EXP 626 (Experiment 626 (AKA Stitch)); 3) MAD HAT R; 4) MLFICNT; 5) NVRLND; 6) 1E D PU (Winnie the Pooh); 7) RSQRS (Rescuers); and 8) 0 2 HERO.

And that is Goofy's Paint 'n' Playhouse at Disneyland's Mickey's Toontown! Next door, replacing Toon Park is a new playground area for kids: Goofy's KinderGarden, where kids can have fun in Goofy's yard (the part that is not the queue). As in the past, the ground is spongy and soft, so that should the young'uns fall down, they won't hurt themselves.

What do you think of all my ideas?

potzbie
09-02-2015, 11:13 AM
It would be easy (relatively speaking) to turn "Star Tours" into a re-themed WALL*E ride (e.g., "Rescue EVE").

Ride simulators need not be related to Star Wars. -- Any old space theme would be fine.

In fact, move the whole enchilada to Fantasyland and call it "Mister Toad's Wild Ride".
:rolleyes:

Nightwing
09-02-2015, 08:15 PM
It would be easy (relatively speaking) to turn "Star Tours" into a re-themed WALL*E ride (e.g., "Rescue EVE").

Ride simulators need not be related to Star Wars. -- Any old space theme would be fine.

In fact, move the whole enchilada to Fantasyland and call it "Mister Toad's Wild Ride".
:rolleyes:

Like the Wall-E idea!!!