PDA

View Full Version : Any Candlelight news?

sgtdilbert
11-12-2003, 03:27 PM
Greetings,

I enjoyed the Candlelight Processional for the first time last year, and I don't want to miss it again this year. Has anyone heard any news on the event? I know there were rumors that it would be held back on Main Street again, but just looking for some concrete information on this year's performance and how to obtain tickets (like the program last year where you bought dinner and were given the tickets).

s.

cstephens
11-12-2003, 04:33 PM
Here's one thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21713&highlight=candlelight) with a bit of news.

Disneygirl65
11-13-2003, 08:45 AM
Well I called Disneyland today and talked to a couple people about the Candlelight procession. Here is what they said.... No tickets will be sold for the event, they are reserved for VIP's and having a lottery type drawing for CM's. The procession will going down Main St. and that part we can all watch (like a parade), and then the actual event will be in town sq. but the gereral public is not invited. Hope this helps.

I posted this yesterday on another thread....... hope it helps!

cstephens
11-13-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Disneygirl65
The procession will going down Main St. and that part we can all watch (like a parade), and then the actual event will be in town sq. but the gereral public is not invited.

Did you really mean NOT? Because if the event is in Town Square like it used to be, there's no way to prevent people from watching it unless they close off all of Main Street or make people close their eyes...

Disneygirl65
11-13-2003, 09:48 AM
I know what you mean, I am just posting what two people at Disney told me via phone..... Maybe they meant no seats except for Vips?? I don't know, but one told me they are having a lottery for CM's so it has to private in some way. Don't really know what to think, I'll be there on those dates, so I guess I will see.

Disneygirl65
11-13-2003, 09:49 AM
...just caught the eyes closing part on your post, that made me laugh!

JeffG
11-13-2003, 11:05 AM
I'm guessing they were referring to the seating area for the show. In past years, they set up a large seating area that took up much of town square, extending just about to the Christmas Tree. That area was roped off and only accessible with the tickets distributed to VIPs.

The general public could always watch the show from the side (by the Opera House or City Hall) or from behind the seating area. The music and narration can be heard very well from any of the areas open to the public, but the view is pretty distant.

-Jeff

innerSpaceman
11-13-2003, 04:34 PM
If you are willing to stake out a spot on the sidewalk just behind Town Square (either on the Emporium side or Opera House side) from about 2 in the afternoon (or whenever the afternoon parade ends), you can get a good view of the magnificent event four hours later.

I haven't done this in about a decade, but if they are truly returning the spectacle to Town Square, then I'll be doing it again!

SoCalDisneyLover
11-13-2003, 05:03 PM
Is it better to be by the Emporium or in front of Mr. Lincoln? Is the stage set up by the train entrance? Just wondering where exactly would be the best and closest spot to stakeout that afternoon.

Not Afraid
11-13-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
I haven't done this in about a decade, but if they are truly returning the spectacle to Town Square, then I'll be doing it again!

Consider yourself not alone. ;)

bandboy1985
11-14-2003, 01:00 AM
um, can anyone give me a brief, bulleted synopsis of what actually happens at candlelight? i understand there's a reading of the christmas story, and a processional of some nature. what else? is there some grand spectacle i'm missing out on?

i've seen the pictures from the fantasyland theatre versions of candlelight- is it specifically better outdoors in town square?

JazzBaby
11-14-2003, 10:55 AM
I've been part of Candlelight and let me tell you, it's remarkable. 2000 voices, massed choirs from all over. A narrator tells the story of Christmas, and, at appropriate intervals the choir punctuates the story with song. They've got a chart for Silent Night that brought brings a tear to the eye.

I was in it long ago, Michael Landon was our narrator, and Howard Keel the year afterwards. As for seating, one year we were part of the standing crowd towards town square, they always saved the seats for VIP's and such. About halfway through, they let a bunch of us in because there were empty chairs.

And YES!!! Back in Town Square, where it belongs! Now, if we could just move the Electrical Parade back home....

;)

Lani
11-14-2003, 01:37 PM
I've posted the official press release here (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22342).