PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars (themed) Land coming - and it ain't a rumor

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

corona
08-15-2015, 11:51 AM
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/08/star-wars-themed-lands-coming-to-walt-disney-world-and-disneyland-resorts/

bumblebeeonarose
08-15-2015, 12:56 PM
Hoping for more information to be shared as the different forums end. I'm hoping they'll at least say where they are building the land so we know for sure if ToonTown is being bulldozed or worked around.

Nightwing
08-15-2015, 01:12 PM
Hoping for more information to be shared as the different forums end. I'm hoping they'll at least say where they are building the land so we know for sure if ToonTown is being bulldozed or worked around.

14 acers is not a small area! O_O

MidwayManiac
08-15-2015, 01:27 PM
Granted the details aren't yet available so this is conjecture. Assuming Star Tours stays in its respective spot in DLR's Tomorrowland and Hollywood Studios - along with perhaps other things that are Star Wars related but more movable like Star Trader and Jedi Training Academy - I can't help but think that with Star Tours in one spot and Star Wars Land in an entirely separate one, the theming is disjointed. On the other hand if they razed Autopia and put it there, well now we're talkin'.

Janis and Aaron
08-15-2015, 01:31 PM
OMG OMG OMG breathe Janis, breathe...

tobycoke
08-15-2015, 02:04 PM
14 acres is massive - almost 800 feet x 800 feet.
The southeast quadrant of Disneyland (east of Main, south of the Castle) is just over 14 acres - or think the eastside/Hollywood Backlot/Tower of Terror area of California Adventure.
I don't see where they can build it unless it's in the open parking lots north or south of the Disneyland Hotel.

DaDuckFan1955
08-15-2015, 02:25 PM
14 acres is massive - almost 800 feet x 800 feet.
The southeast quadrant of Disneyland (east of Main, south of the Castle) is just over 14 acres - or think the eastside/Hollywood Backlot/Tower of Terror area of California Adventure.
I don't see where they can build it unless it's in the open parking lots north or south of the Disneyland Hotel.

That and the Rivers of America could be a possibility, if Disney is serious about under utilized areas, of course Fantasmic would have to be moved if they did this option...but more than likely it will raze Tomorrowland, except for Star Tours. Since Orlando's Toontown was razed, hopefully they will keep Disneyland's Toontown, besides if they used Toontown, would they shutter Star Wars Land during the fireworks?

corona
08-15-2015, 02:45 PM
Star Wars Launch Bay coming (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/08/live-updates-from-walt-disney-parks-and-resorts-presentation-at-2015-d23-expo/) - presumably to the former Innoventions building
also Star Tours "new Adventure"
and Hyperspace Mountain (seasonal overlay)

Soarin’ Around the World makes its debut next year.

corona
08-15-2015, 03:22 PM
more than likely it will raze Tomorrowland, except for Star Tours

Nope - Space Mountain ain't going anywhere.

Malcon10t
08-15-2015, 04:53 PM
I like the idea of the season of the force for space mountain.

corona
08-15-2015, 04:59 PM
Star Wars Launch Bay - now officially stated to be in Tomorrowland (and sure seems like it will be at [the former] Innoventions)

"at Disneyland park, Star Wars Launch Bay will share the space with the reimagined Super Hero HQ, featuring opportunities to meet and take photos with Super Heroes like Captain America and Thor, as well as experience the returning Iron Man Tech Presented by Stark Industries. Both experiences will be available for guests later this year."

ABombbmoBA
08-15-2015, 09:04 PM
I think they should build a new Star Tours in Star Wars Land and repurpose the existing Star Tours building for a new attraction.

AVP
08-15-2015, 09:14 PM
11-minute video of the announcements from the Parks & Resorts panel at #D23

tWoFSbft3OU

tHeDiSnEyKiD
08-15-2015, 09:49 PM
Wonder how much the APs will be when this all comes out. I'm guessing around $1,249 for a premium, or they may just get rid of em all. Soooo many people will flood the park, they won't need locals for anything now.

bumblebeeonarose
08-15-2015, 10:28 PM
14 acers is not a small area! O_O

LOL! I didn't mean just Toon Town. The recent rumor suggested all of the Ranch area, the backstage area, and ToonTown. I suppose that could be 14 acres. But Toon Town is so small, that I still wonder if it could stay. That may be wishful thinking.

jswtsang
08-15-2015, 10:37 PM
Wow, where do they have 14 acres for this? I just went to California adventure after a 5 year hiatus and am wondering what was where cars land is now? Did they replace something or was that previously empty? I imagine they use every available square foot and had to remove something to add cars land, but my bil thought that nothing was previously there and they built it in an empty spot.

TTFN92
08-15-2015, 11:12 PM
Wow, where do they have 14 acres for this? I just went to California adventure after a 5 year hiatus and am wondering what was where cars land is now? Did they replace something or was that previously empty? I imagine they use every available square foot and had to remove something to add cars land, but my bil thought that nothing was previously there and they built it in an empty spot.

It was the parking lot.

Nightwing
08-15-2015, 11:39 PM
It was the parking lot.

Could be they may take over the Toy Story Parking lot. Not sure how big that is. Also think I saw they are starting in on this in 2017. Isent Pumba parking structure due to be completed by then?

Could they be also are almost finished on getting a bit more land near DL?

Untill its announces the pad where they will put this could be anywhere there.

sjhanksaz
08-16-2015, 06:26 AM
With the new office space Disney purchased to the west of Disneyland I think that means they will demo the stuff above Toon Town and put it there. The only question is if Toon Town is taken down and becomes part of it.

Would not upset me at all if they did so.

goalieump413
08-16-2015, 07:15 AM
Let's all remember that 14 acres isn't a commitment to using a new stretch of 14 acres, just 14 acres total. In other words, the combined space that SWL will now consume is 14 acres, for both DL and WDW.

As far as I'm concerned, they can bulldoze all of Toontown, consume the ranch, and use the backwall features for SWL as fireworks launch towers. Makes sense, since the same backdrop concept is already employed in Carsland. The other thing this accomplishes is retaining the "single gate" approach Walt wanted in the first place.

As for TL, it wouldn't make sense to retain ST and Jedi Academy where they currently are, spreading out the theme. Move ST and Jedi to new locations, please! Open up the space for Marvel stuff.

Anyhow, I'm really excited, and relieved, that it's now official. It's $1 billion well spent!

goalieump413
08-16-2015, 07:18 AM
With the new office space Disney purchased to the west of Disneyland I think that means they will demo the stuff above Toon Town and put it there. The only question is if Toon Town is taken down and becomes part of it.

Would not upset me at all if they did so.

West? Did I miss something?

Dave1313
08-16-2015, 08:06 AM
West? Did I miss something?

I was sort of wondering the same thing, but I am not familiar with where the office buildings mentioned other threads are located. Obviously Carousel Inn is East across the street on Harbor.

MidwayManiac
08-16-2015, 08:19 AM
Published Aug. 5 in fortune:

Disney has bought three adjoining tracts of land not far from its California Adventure theme park, raising hopes that the additional land could be home to a new park addition featuring the likes of Star Wars or Marvel.

Those wishful thoughts are unfounded, though.

The additional property amounts to 14.7 acres and records indicate that the total value of the land is about $60 million, although Disney didn’t say how much it paid for the land. It will go toward a less thrilling — but just as important — use, given Disneyland’s ongoing growth, according to spokeswoman Suzi Brown.

The new tract of land is 14.7 acres and SWLand is set to be 14 acres. Coincidence?
To my knowledge there is no gurantee SWLand will go in DLP or, for that matter, be included in the price of admission for one of the two existing parks. Third park, anyone?

adriennek
08-16-2015, 08:53 AM
LOL! I didn't mean just Toon Town. The recent rumor suggested all of the Ranch area,

The Big Thunder Ranch info came from the @DisneylandToday twitter account (https://twitter.com/DisneylandToday/status/632769115116187648).

It's going to be in the Big Thunder Ranch area, inclusive of some backstage locations

Nothing mentioned about Toontown...

Malcon10t
08-16-2015, 09:48 AM
The Big Thunder Ranch info came from the @DisneylandToday twitter account (https://twitter.com/DisneylandToday/status/632769115116187648).

Nothing mentioned about Toontown...

Other than the rumor that ToonTown would be used for SWL was unfounded.

"The new land is targeted to replace Disneyland’s Big Thunder Ranch and take over backstage areas currently not accessible to guests, a company spokesperson said, adding that speculation “Star Wars” would replace or impinge on Mickey's Toontown was unfounded."

I am sad that the Pope House will be removed for this.