PDA

View Full Version : Cute wittle kitty cats at the Hungry Bear

Pages : [1] 2

cryan71
11-11-2003, 08:00 AM
While there are plenty of families of feral cats at Disneyland, I was at the Hungry Bear restaurant last night where 2 georgeous smoky grey persian cats were entertaining diners for peices of hamburger. They would allow people to pet them and nudge people's legs.

First time I have seen cats approach guests. It was late at night, and there weren't a ton of diners. But the cats walked around the upper level of the Hungry Bear like they owned the place.

I ended up feeding them an entire hamburger pattie.

Andrew
11-11-2003, 08:10 AM
cstephens' September Trip Report (http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlr/dlr091103tr.html) page has a pictures of a few of the cats and the "houses" constructed for them beneath the Hungry Bear deck.

cryan71
11-11-2003, 09:23 AM
What surpised about these persians was that they allowed guests to pet them. Most feral cats don't allow that.

They were really cute. Maybe Disneyland should sell plush versions.

cstephens
11-11-2003, 09:55 AM
I noticed when I wandered by there a couple of weeks ago that they now have water dishes set out for them as well.

Ghoulish Delight
11-11-2003, 10:45 AM
Kitties are one of few good reasons to head into DCA. There's a family next to Taste Pilots, behind the train engine. There are 3 or 4 kittens around last time we were there.

jazzjunkie
11-12-2003, 01:19 AM
I ended up feeding them an entire hamburger pattie.

I'm not sure that was healthy for the kitty! :eek:

cryan71
11-12-2003, 09:01 AM
Yeah, cause its not like cats eat meat and stuff.

Demigod121
11-12-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by jazzjunkie

Well, I'm not too sure they'd go for tofu!

-Demigod

cstephens
11-12-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by jazzjunkie

Given the use of "them", it doesn't appear as if the person fed the entire patty to one kitty but several of them. Those patties aren't that big.

Demigod121
11-12-2003, 10:19 AM
lol...are we even sure this is MEAT we're talking about here?

I guess if the cats are eating it, and they're still alive, it's probably ok...:~D

-Demigod

Disneyphile
11-12-2003, 11:50 AM
I have handfed french fries to some of the ducks on the lower deck at Hungry Bear. They were so cute and let me pet 'em too! :D

And they liked the french fries. :p

cryan71
11-12-2003, 01:41 PM
As long as those weren't McDonalds fries, then I guess that's okay.

Disneyphile
11-12-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by cryan71
As long as those weren't McDonalds fries, then I guess that's okay.

Ooooopsie! ;)

tod
11-12-2003, 02:07 PM
I would keep my distance fwom those cute wittle kitty cats if I wewe you, becawse they may have cute wittle fweas cawwying cute wittle diseases that may make you vewwy vewwy sick.

Not to be an awamist ow anything, but fweas can jump a twemendous distance and aftew wivving on a cat a pewson is a pwetty big tawget.

So fwow the food to 'em. Fwom a safe distance. They eat, you see 'em, evwybody's happy.

--T
:fez:
[/Elmer Fudd]

Andrew
11-12-2003, 02:19 PM
It would be nice if the Disney employees responsible for building the kitty houses could also provide the cats with flea prevention (http://www.1800petmeds.com/ph_results.asp?searchtype=itemname&curpage=1&searchstring=program) measures. Our three get this once a month (two get the tablets and one gets the drops because she absolutely will not swallow a tablet) and we haven't seen a flea in a couple of years at least.

Note that I am not suggesting that guests attempt to dose Disneyland cats--this medication is meant to be given once a month, thirty days apart.

wood_is_mine
11-12-2003, 02:52 PM
It's too bad the kitties can't be spayed or neutered, either. Maybe one day they'll be too many baby kitties running around!

Andrew
11-12-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by wood_is_mine
It's too bad the kitties can't be spayed or neutered, either. Maybe one day they'll be too many baby kitties running around!

That's a very good point. Ideally, the people at Disneyland who have been taking care of these little guys should collect as many as they can once or twice a year for a visit to the vet. It's pretty well known that the cat population at Disneyland helps keep down rats.

tod
11-12-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Andrew
Ideally, the people at Disneyland who have been taking care of these little guys should collect as many as they can once or twice a year for a visit to the vet. It's pretty well known that the cat population at Disneyland helps keep down rats.

If nobody's taking steps to neuter the rats, shouldn't the cat population be left, uh, intact as well?

If the balance goes off -- and over the years I have seen both rats and cats at the park in various places, at various times -- then maybe the cat population should be adjusted, either by adding cats or neutering the ones that are there.

But absent any evidence that the cat population is getting too large, I would recommend letting well enough alone, lest some future 'padder post about the cute little pointy-nosed mice by the Country Bear, and whatever happened to the cats?

--T
:fez:

Disneyphile
11-12-2003, 03:40 PM
Now I have this sick idea to place a little pair of red shorts, white gloves, and yellow shoes next to those kitty "houses". And even add just a little fake blood splatter for extra shock value. ;) :~D

cstephens
11-12-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by wood_is_mine

Actually, from what I've been told, the cats are rounded up at intervals to be spayed/neutered. I don't know the interval though.

cryan71
11-12-2003, 04:33 PM
Also, i've always thought that the cat population at Disneyland is there for a reason- to control the rodent population. I know they have been there for a very very long time.

Not Afraid
11-12-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by cstephens
Actually, from what I've been told, the cats are rounded up at intervals to be spayed/neutered. I don't know the interval though.

They just rounded up a bunch for spaying last year. They also gave some of the younger kittens up for adoption.

jazzjunkie
11-13-2003, 06:37 AM
Yeah, cause its [sic] not like cats eat meat and stuff.

What was thinking? Kitties should get their daily FDA recommended intake of processed fat "meat" and salt. Plus all that hunting down and chasing after food actually cramps a kitty's style. That Discovery Channel - all lies!

Well, I'm not too sure they'd go for tofu!
:rolleyes:

Yep, a steady diet of fries and burgers. Don't worry about spaying those healthy kitties, people. Natural selection rocks.

Demigod121
11-13-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Disneyphile
Now I have this sick idea to place a little pair of red shorts, white gloves, and yellow shoes next to those kitty "houses". And even add just a little fake blood splatter for extra shock value. ;) :~D

Boy, you really are disturbed, aren't you? :p

:cough:cathater:cough:

-Demigod
( :cough:catlover:cough: )

Not Afraid
11-13-2003, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Demigod121
:cough:cathater:cough:

I misread and thought you meant "catheter" like Bill's last name.:~D