PDA

View Full Version : DL: What if they closed DLP?

merlinjones
11-11-2003, 07:42 AM
Since Euro Disney LLC always seems to have financial problems - - what if they closed Disneyland Paris? Disneyland could buy up and ship over alot of cool stuff to dress up the park here!

Stained glass windows and tapestries from Sleeping Beauty Castle

Captain Hook's Ship and Skull Rock

The Nautilus walk through trappings and Nautilus itself

Alice's Labyrinth trappings for DLR mini-golf park

New minatures for Storybookland expansion

Swiss Family treehouse trappings for restoration

Cinderella's coach

Haunted Mansion effects and figures

Ride systems, vehicles

Trains

Mark Twain (if same scale)

Decoration, props, sets, costumes

AA figures

Aladdin dioramas

Space Mountain facade elements (though I'd rather keep Dl ultramodern)

What else do they have that we could get in a theoretical garage sale (that DL needs more than WDW)???

wendybeth
11-11-2003, 10:07 AM
Better food? Lol... I really don't know much about DLP but they sound more Disneyland-like than Disneyland proper. WDW needs nothing; they're like the pampered younger sibling of DL and they probably wouldn't want used items anyway. So, ship it all over to DL! (But leave the surly waitpersons behind). ;)

Not Afraid
11-11-2003, 10:11 AM
No!!!!! Keep my beloved DLP as is. It's the most beautiful park - don't mess with it.

cemeinke
11-11-2003, 10:19 AM
Uh let's see

The Castle (including dungeon and contents therein - i.e. dragon)

Discoveryland - in total, just replace tomorrowland

Space and layout - DLP is a large park, but it utilizes the space to make each land completely immersive

Big Thunder Railway - for obvious reasons as well as the fact that it is the best version out there.

Adventure Isle - complete with shipwreck, Swiss Family Treehouse, and Skull Rock.

French accents - everything sounds better with a french accent (oh perhaps we should also import the flirtatiousness of some of the Parisian CMs, which adds greatly to the accent thing ;) )

A Halloween Celebration including a Villains parade and complete land makeovers

merlinjones
11-11-2003, 03:16 PM
How could I forget... we defintely need their AA dragon!!!

Gemini Cricket
11-11-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones
How could I forget... we defintely need their AA dragon!!!
One of my very favorite parts of DLP: the dragon. It's way cool.

I say get rid of that Tinkerbell gift shop and build a huge dragon lair there. That would be cool. There's room for it.

Sadly, if DLP were to close, Disney would probably trash almost everything and then sell some good stuff on eBay. It would be too costly to ship things here...
:(

innerSpaceman
11-11-2003, 03:56 PM
Frankly DLP's got the head's-up on Anaheim. Convert their Rivers of the Far West to the stylings of the Rivers of America (retaining their world's best Big Thunder Mountain Railroad), ship over our Indiana Jones, Jungle Cruise, and Splash Mountain, and then replace their Pirates of Caribbean and It's a Small World with ours and, voila, the world's best Disneyland!

Much less cost and effort to ship overseas and effect change in the direction of America to Euro than the other way around.

Sorry.

Morrigoon
11-11-2003, 05:49 PM
Their Pirates needs no help. Goodness knows it has the best Pirates queue in the system!

merlinjones
11-11-2003, 08:25 PM
The best Disneyland belongs in Anaheim, USA, baby.

cemeinke
11-11-2003, 10:25 PM

Have you been there lately? or better yet - have you read your posts lately? ;)

merlinjones
11-12-2003, 05:24 AM
>>The best Disneyland belongs in Anaheim, USA, baby.<<

>>Have you been there lately? or better yet - have you read your posts lately? <<

For all its design splendor, EuroDisney has a coldness about it that can't hold a candle to the original. Disneyland is the only park with such rich history and odd, wonderful detail that can only come from time... and its the park that has Walt's soul, warmth, taste and effervecence... these virtues have allowed it to thrive even against all odds of Disney Company mismanagement.

I post not to denigrate Disneyland, but to enocurage its rennaissance. Disneyland is still a one of a kind national treasure that deserves loving attention, restoration and renewal from its corporate keepers. To do otherwise, or to cause harm to assets or customers in the name of expanded profit, is socially and fiscally irresponsible.

It's ceratinly not the park's fault. What's left of Walt's dream deserves topnotch preservation so it can continue to inspire future generations (which may be Michael's fear).

SacTown Chronic
11-12-2003, 05:58 AM

merlinjones is right. It is the original. It SHOULD be the crown jewel of the Disney parks.

9oldmen
11-12-2003, 06:22 AM
WDW needs nothing; they're like the pampered younger sibling of DL and they probably wouldn't want used items anyway

Well, like it or not, they're getting "Soarin'".

scaeagles
11-12-2003, 08:05 AM
Since Euro Disney LLC always seems to have financial problems - - what if they closed Disneyland Paris?

Even without getting anyone of their stuff, I think it's an extraordinary idea. In fact after thinking about this for a while, the Disney expansion and has most likely led to the degradation of Disneyland (while my family and I still enjoy it, I admit there are serious problems). It follows other bnusiness examples of expansion beyond their means in an attempt to grow and therefore results in financial difficulty leading to major cutbacks.

Look at AOL. AOL buys Time/Warner, and AOL loses so much money, affecting the Time/Warner bottom line, that they drop the AOL out of the name. AOL was doing fine - it was the massive and poorly thought out expansion that led to their unprofitablility. And again, in a fashion similar to DL, instead of being an industry leader, they shifted their focus away from what they were doing well and failed to innovate in that area.

I am certain there are other equally valid examples and parallels.

I would submit that the expansion in Disney into Europe took too much capital which will never be recovered. I believe Merlin has posted other thoughts about Disney's acquisition of ABC, shifting their focus from being an industry leader in entertainment and theme parks to trying to run a TV network, ESPN, etc, etc, etc.

Futhermore, this expansion has done far more to affect the bottom line and investment into DL Anaheim than any AP program.

Good thought, Merlin.

Demigod121
11-12-2003, 09:16 AM
Even simpler point.

Close DLP. Invest money formerly spend on DLP into DL. Add new rides and new content. Refurb/revamp old rides and attractions. Better Disneyland, we're all happy again.

:)

-Demigod
(just summarizing!)

cemeinke
11-12-2003, 05:25 PM
If you're going to close a park, how about DCA or better yet WDS?