PDA

View Full Version : Crazy wait times for Tower of Terror?

Tireddad
08-02-2015, 10:38 AM
Is it just me or does it seem like since June or so the TOT wait time is always at a minimum 60 mins? And fast passes often are done for the day by 1pm or so (even tougher to get if you scored a radiator springs FP first thing that morning). I know it's the summer season , but I don't recall the wait being so long last summer, this past spring break. There has got to be something more to it. has a shaft gone out of service this whole summer and the ride is not operating at full capacity the last couple months? Anyone have any inside info?

TulaBelle
08-02-2015, 11:30 AM
I read a post not long ago from a mom whose family had to be evacuated from ToT, but I don't remember which park. Her kids called her from the elevator as they were waiting to be removed.

Dave1313
08-02-2015, 11:49 AM
I read a post not long ago from a mom whose family had to be evacuated from ToT, but I don't remember which park. Her kids called her from the elevator as they were waiting to be removed.

That was about ToT @ DCA. Here's the thread. (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?220577-Tower-of-Terror-breakdown-June-18)

TulaBelle
08-02-2015, 11:52 AM
Thanks Dave :).

Tireddad
08-02-2015, 06:54 PM
Thanks Dave. I bet that portion of the ride is still broken. The only reason we were able to ride it the other day was we happened to be walking by when the ride reopened from an afternoon shutdown . We were like 10 in line when it reopened. When we got off, back to a 60 min wait again. I swear the wait time for ToT was nearing Radiator springs levels last week when we were there

Dave1313
08-02-2015, 07:57 PM
Thanks Dave. I bet that portion of the ride is still broken. The only reason we were able to ride it the other day was we happened to be walking by when the ride reopened from an afternoon shutdown . We were like 10 in line when it reopened. When we got off, back to a 60 min wait again. I swear the wait time for ToT was nearing Radiator springs levels last week when we were there

No problem. That event did sound pretty serious. I initially thought it was extremely serious with the description of removing walls, then I read posts from others more familiar with the ride design mention those were access panels built in for emergency use... still a very serious event to be sure.

So here's a silly question... when there, isn't it easy to tell if its fully operating by watching the opening elevator doors near the top from the ground? ;) If one of the 3 doesn't ever open for people to scream as they see the Matterhorn, it would seem to me that shaft isn't operating.

Obviously things can change from the time you observe the doors from the ground to when you get in the queue line and actually make it to the front, but it would seem a fair approximation. (and if the shaft from the June event is in fact still down, it should be very observable as out of commission)

Tireddad
08-03-2015, 11:12 AM
So here's a silly question... when there, isn't it easy to tell if its fully operating by watching the opening elevator doors near the top from the ground? ;) If one of the 3 doesn't ever open for people to scream as they see the Matterhorn, it would seem to me that shaft isn't operating.

Obviously things can change from the time you observe the doors from the ground to when you get in the queue line and actually make it to the front, but it would seem a fair approximation. (and if the shaft from the June event is in fact still down, it should be very observable as out of commission)

You know Dave, you have a point, and I did try to see if that may be the truth. On one of our days there, the ride was only operating ONE shaft, I confirmed this with a CM (as the line was closed, the were not letting people into the line), the CM said that since only one shaft was operating, they did not want anyone joining the line as the long wait time would "ruin your day" (exact quote)

In my observation in appears that the shaft closest toward the direction of Carsland, is not working. That was the shaft where we never saw the doors open.

Also, I learned something new talking to someone outside the ride, apparently there are two ride cars per shaft (meaning a total of 6 cars total), so I guess its safe to assume the ride has only been running with 4 cars this summer. I'm not an imaginer , but this makes sense. One cars loads while the other is falling (which makes sense as you notice that the car moves backward as you get loaded on the ride, and forward as you get off. If someone can briefly explain how the ride works, that would be interesting.

SteveMartin
08-03-2015, 11:36 AM
You know Dave, you have a point, and I did try to see if that may be the truth. On one of our days there, the ride was only operating ONE shaft, I confirmed this with a CM (as the line was closed, the were not letting people into the line), the CM said that since only one shaft was operating, they did not want anyone joining the line as the long wait time would "ruin your day" (exact quote)

In my observation in appears that the shaft closest toward the direction of Carsland, is not working. That was the shaft where we never saw the doors open.

Also, I learned something new talking to someone outside the ride, apparently there are two ride cars per shaft (meaning a total of 6 cars total), so I guess its safe to assume the ride has only been running with 4 cars this summer. I'm not an imaginer , but this makes sense. One cars loads while the other is falling (which makes sense as you notice that the car moves backward as you get loaded on the ride, and forward as you get off. If someone can briefly explain how the ride works, that would be interesting.

A quick google search turns up this site: http://towersecrets.com/tower-of-terror-motors/ I'm sure there's lots more information there too.

Short answer: it's a standard traction motor elevator system, you're going faster than a free-fall on the way down because the car is being pulled by the motor!

Tireddad
08-03-2015, 12:05 PM
A quick google search turns up this site: http://towersecrets.com/tower-of-terror-motors/ I'm sure there's lots more information there too.

Short answer: it's a standard traction motor elevator system, you're going faster than a free-fall on the way down because the car is being pulled by the motor!

That vid was pretty cool. Those engines are huge. Looks like if there was indeed a engine or sometype of other malfunction on the Tot at DCA, that it could be awhile for repairs. Not a simple job I bet/

jrsharp21
08-05-2015, 06:30 AM
When we were there last week, the line did get up to an hour at times and the fast passes were going quick. When we got on around 10am, fast pass was already for a return at 7pm. Both times we rode, I noticed that only the left and middle elevators were being used.

candles71
08-05-2015, 08:52 AM
Yes, I took one for the team yesterday ;), the right hand one is not being loaded at all. I thought both cars in a shaft were attached and fell together, at least that is what I was led to believe.
Lovely picture from the ride, btw, all 3 of us screaming, but the family behind us were even worse (newbies).

NickP
08-05-2015, 09:30 AM
Ahh that makes sense with one of the shafts being out. When were there a couple weeks back I noticed it was least crowded early morning, during WoC and right before the park closed.

bumblebeeonarose
08-05-2015, 11:06 AM
Lovely picture from the ride, btw, all 3 of us screaming, but the family behind us were even worse (newbies).

LOL! Fun ride. We have friends at the park right now and they posted a picture (snapshot) of their 3.5 y/o son crying on the ride. I guess he really didn't like it, poor fella.

Tireddad
08-05-2015, 11:38 AM
When we were there last week, the line did get up to an hour at times and the fast passes were going quick. When we got on around 10am, fast pass was already for a return at 7pm. Both times we rode, I noticed that only the left and middle elevators were being used.

That's what I experienced as well. Next visit it's gonna be a "which FP do we want? Tower or radiator racers?, the 2hr FP window won't allow both

sjhanksaz
08-07-2015, 08:44 AM
This ride still scares my 11 year old daughter.

Hope they can get it fixed and the lines shorter soon

candles71
08-07-2015, 08:48 AM
That's what I experienced as well. Next visit it's gonna be a "which FP do we want? Tower or radiator racers?, the 2hr FP window won't allow both
We FPd ToT and single ridered RSR day before yesterday.

3Princesses1Prince
08-07-2015, 09:30 AM
This ride still scares my 11 year old daughter.

Hope they can get it fixed and the lines shorter soon

Looks like it has a refurb coming up in early September.

candles71
08-07-2015, 11:56 PM
Both Tower and RSR fast passes were gone by 11 today.

bumblebeeonarose
08-08-2015, 07:39 PM
If they have a shaft down, essentially 2 less elevators, then they have to give out fewer FPs. Bummer it's not working, hope they fix it soon.