PDA

View Full Version : Negativity

Pages : [1] 2

iwannabeanimagineer
11-10-2003, 04:23 PM
I read a lot of posts that sound everywhere from disappointed to upset to downright angry about Disneyland. And these are Disneyland fans? I myself am disappointed from time to time, but I continue to go back over and over again.

My question for you: Which is the straw that breaks the camel's back? What would cause (or has caused) you to cease attending The Happiest Place On Earth?

innerSpaceman
11-10-2003, 04:31 PM
July 18, 2005.

merlinjones
11-10-2003, 04:41 PM
I gave up my AP a year ago and hope that the park is substantially restored and renewed under caring and tasteful eyes. Still waiting...

Not Afraid
11-10-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by iwannabeanimagineer
My question for you: Which is the straw that breaks the camel's back? What would cause (or has caused) you to cease attending The Happiest Place On Earth?

The last straw, of course. ;)

hazlnut
11-10-2003, 05:21 PM
When safety takes a backseat to profit. People shouldn't have to die so execs can refurnish their vacation homes.

screamin4ever
11-10-2003, 05:25 PM
One more Thunder Mountain type accident.

sleepyjeff
11-10-2003, 06:53 PM
Any one of the following get Eighty Sixed....that will be the last straw for me.

Mark Twain

Enchanted Tiki Room

Jungle Cruise

Disneyland RailRoad

Tree House( I would prefer it to be put back the way it was, but if they decide to just close it altogether:mad: )

Story Book Land

Fantasmic

:|

MickeyLumbo
11-10-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by iwannabeanimagineer
I read a lot of posts that sound everywhere from disappointed to upset to downright angry about Disneyland. And these are Disneyland fans? I myself am disappointed from time to time, but I continue to go back over and over again.

the crowds/congested walkways/2 hour lines

TwinGemII
11-11-2003, 12:46 PM
As I said in a recent post....

(Note before you read- I'm all smiles about this, not attacking... so no one reply freaking out on me like some have a tendancy to do!! )

People can complain all they want to and say how horrible the park is becoming and how horrible management is.... but reality check... YOU'RE STILL GOING AREN'T YOU?!!!!!

Seriously - it's frustrating that so many complain but yet those very people still put their money into the park!

Just relax, have a great magical time and forget about the things you can't control! Leave the business side of Disney to those who get paid to deal with it. Why use so much energy worrying about that stuff?

I go to that park so much I've lost count of how many visits I make a month! Not once have I ever thought... Gosh they sure could do this, or they sure could do that... blah blah blah.

I go, I enjoy!, and when I leave, I always think... when's my next trip??!!! Maybe tomorrow?? Maybe next week??

So ask yourself before you go to the HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH: Am I going to be one of those people who look at a glass of water and think "This glass is half empty" or "This glass is half full". THINK POSITIVE PEOPLE, "THE GLASS IS HALF FULL!"

Cheers!

Disneyfreak
11-11-2003, 12:53 PM
Well im certainly not going to let those high end executives shove Disneyland around while they get tons of money. Just look at the Walt Disney World boards, they are not complaining because everything is kept up to the best of its ability. Just look at there big thunder, just because this accident happened it gets a new paint job, which we dont get unless its falling apart. This is what im talking about. If they took the same level of care for disneyland like walt disney world does, then I would be happy.

Corith
11-11-2003, 01:31 PM
In my case, it wasn't a single straw, but a collection. I just ceased to enjoy myself, each visit was less pleasurable that the last.

I'd stand in line, see the pealing paint, the rust, the overall neglect, and sigh. I'd walk past the once scenic vistas and feel sad that even the old Kodak moment signs are hidden behind yet another outdoor vending cart along with the view they used to represent. I'd sit in Tomorrowland and not find anything to do or see. I'd visit places that where once alive and vibrant and feel melancholy at the absence of activity and the visible signs of decay.

I'm old, old enough to have watched the birth of the Haunted Mansion, old enough to remember when Tomorrowland reflected the hopes and dreams of young and old alike for a better future. Now it is burned out husk of a stale, corporate run, bottom line fed, area breathing heavily until it dies from a long, slow, lingering, death like a beached whale on the sand in summer. The whole park is slowing dying, its flesh picked and gnawed at by greedy, heartless, soulless, corporate vultures with little thought, care or imagination, who are only interested in lining their moneyvaults with as many Disney Dollars they can before the end finally does come.

MickeyLumbo
11-11-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by TwinGemII
As I said in a recent post....

So ask yourself before you go to the HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH: Am I going to be one of those people who look at a glass of water and think "This glass is half empty" or "This glass is half full". THINK POSITIVE PEOPLE, "THE GLASS IS HALF FULL!"

Cheers!

IMO, the glass just isn't big enough to hold all the water. i say less water - bigger glass!

SacTown Chronic
11-11-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by TwinGemII

Cheers!

But they are charging us for a full glass.

jrad32
11-11-2003, 02:39 PM
I'm not going back for the forseeable future, and the reason is simple, not enough rides, which leads to a crowded park and a lesser experience.

Big Thunder is down and so is Space Mt. Those two rides alone may not be enough to keep me away, but when you add in all the rides/shows that have been shuttered, and the regular refurbs, Disneyland just isn't very good bang for the buck.

No subs, motor boats, peoplemover, Horseshoe revue, skyway, Keel Boats and Tom Sawyer Fort along with a down Big Thunder & Space Mountain and attractions that are not kept up (ride film on Star Tours, the disintigrating Tiki Room & monorails) and attractions with little to no reridability (Honey I Shrunk The Audience & Innovations) = not worth $50 a head and travel expenses.

merlinjones
11-11-2003, 03:11 PM
I expect a big, sparkling clean (and artfully shaped) glass filled to the brim with colorful and memorably tasty and fizzy mint julep on ice, please, with a little cherry, umbrella or something extra... just like Walt would have given me.

You can have the half cup of Dasani.

wendybeth
11-11-2003, 03:17 PM
But they are charging us for a full glass

Very good point, Chronic! We will be going to DL in early April, and if things are not better than they were last time we visited, we will not return.

Saratoga75
11-11-2003, 04:19 PM
I like "wendybeth" will be returing to DL in April. I am trying to go when Big Thunder Mt. reopens. . . and the opening of Tower of Terror over at DCA which is suppose to happen i thought in April 04. . . right now it's just not worth the $50 to go. .there use to be a time i would always say yes to disneyland. . but at this point i have no interest in going till at least big thunder is re-open with everything else (with of coarse the exception of Space MT). . . i think disneyland was at it's worse this year in early october. . when splash mt, space mt, big thunder mt, and haunted mansion were all closed during the same period. . .if only Walt Disney was here!!!!! I couldnt believe he would have a person like Paul Pressler in charge of disneyland after what i heard about him..

Mr. Wiggins
11-11-2003, 07:00 PM
I'm old enough to have watched the birth of the Haunted Mansion, old enough to remember when Tomorrowland reflected the hopes and dreams of young and old alike for a better future. Now it is burned out husk of a stale, corporate run, bottom line fed, area breathing heavily until it dies from a long, slow, lingering, death like a beached whale on the sand in summer. The whole park is slowing dying, its flesh picked and gnawed at by greedy, heartless, soulless, corporate vultures with little thought, care or imagination, who are only interested in lining their moneyvaults with as many Disney Dollars they can before the end finally does come.That's one of the most powerful paragraphs I've seen on this site -- 112 words that precisely encapsulate a decade of neglect and betrayal.

Someone should stencil that paragraph on Eisner's forehead, then make T. Irby spend every waking hour walking before him backwards, reading it to him aloud, over and over and over....

Demigod121
11-12-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Corith
I'm old, old enough to have watched the birth of the Haunted Mansion, old enough to remember when Tomorrowland reflected the hopes and dreams of young and old alike for a better future. Now it is burned out husk of a stale, corporate run, bottom line fed, area breathing heavily until it dies from a long, slow, lingering, death like a beached whale on the sand in summer. The whole park is slowing dying, its flesh picked and gnawed at by greedy, heartless, soulless, corporate vultures with little thought, care or imagination, who are only interested in lining their moneyvaults with as many Disney Dollars they can before the end finally does come.

If you look very carefully, you can see the vultures circling over castle sometimes.....

very foreboding sight.

It's not that we are TRYING to be negative, just that as Disney fans we have come to expect certain things as far as the 'Disney Experience' goes....and this experience has slowly been eaten away by profiteering bureaucrats who know nothing about family entertainment and all about hustling people for a buck.

We're just tired of going to a 'theme' park and not getting the 'theme'. It's seems more and more like a place that just takes your money. The 'magic' is dying.

-Demigod

sediment
11-12-2003, 02:05 PM
Kind of a dual-edged sword: You complain, but you go; you complain and don't go, but how do you know how bad it is if you don't go?
(I read other people's comments and apply a subjective accuracy factor.)
I don't go. I have the ability to go for a very low price (beg a CM and do the driving), and I don't go. I haven't been since May, I think. I go about twice a year, with one (or both) of my children.

Theory: Tomorrowland is a desert bereft of what the future can hold, because the executives in charge for the past few years cannot conceive of the future. Today, the short-term goal, and the feedback they have to respond to today is all that's on their minds. Tomorrow requires convincing someone to green-light a project that might someday return the investment.
The good news is that someone up there thinks Space Mountain is a good investment. Or it was such a slam dunk that any primate would green-light it.

cotten-eye-Joe
11-12-2003, 02:22 PM
Well then do cast members get a right to complain? It is our work enviroment? We have to put up with all the changes and poor managment. Everyone on the out side has no idea what its like to be inside the corporation that is going so down hill. Yes, the park is under new managment now, we are hopeing he brings about some great changes. But still currenty there are things happining that shouldn't be. I look at the resort and I feel pitty for some of the departments, such as attractions and characters. They both put up with alot. Attractions has to deal with people dieing and stuff, characters seem to get an injury every day. I'll spare you all the stories of how poor communication is within the resort.

But hey, people like comming. So, there has to be something in the water.

sediment
11-12-2003, 02:46 PM
Your lead says:
"No, you should be thankful that they pay you to be there.
Now, go take a hose to that vomit in the corner. And SMILE when you clean!! Whistle if you feel like it. I saw it in a movie once. Some old thing, with old-fashioned hand-drawn animation."

iwannabeanimagineer
11-12-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by cotten-eye-Joe
But hey, people like comming. So, there has to be something in the water.

Aha. That's why it's so green and opaque.

merlinjones
11-12-2003, 03:19 PM
Gee, what have I been missing? ;)

MonorailMan
11-12-2003, 07:57 PM
You have to remember, the biggest fans are going to armchair quaterback every move Disney makes.

I dislike the current stake of Disneyland, but go because it's a inexpensive getaway, that provides a lot of fun. :D