PDA

View Full Version : GAC at WDW

Karin
07-24-2015, 06:28 AM
Not having used a DAS myself, I'm not familiar enough with the rules and guidelines associated with it. I looked in the Park Guides section of MP and didn't see anything that addressed it.

I have a friend who is planning a trip to WDW next week and her boyfriend just broke his big toe.

Are they eligible to get a DAS card if he's using crutches or is in a boot? He might want to rent a wheelchair while going around the parks as the walking might be too much.

If he's not eligible, it's ok, I just thought I'd offer her some info on it in case he would be eligible.

TIA.

Goodnplenty
07-24-2015, 06:50 AM
He will definitely need some wheels. There's a lot of walking at WDW. If he's not sure, he can rent a scooter, park it, walk a little and then make up his mind. But I really think they should plan on getting him some wheels. :)

Karin
07-24-2015, 07:04 AM
Thanks, Goodnplenty, I suggested that to her, but I'm not sure how he feels about that. They may get part way through their day and then he'll realize he needs one to be able to go on.

I'm wondering if he has a broken toe and not a permanent disability, is he eligible for the DAS simply on the basis that he might not be able to stand in line for a prolonged period of time without aggravating the toe? Is DAS available to folks with temporary disabilities?

I've advised her to go to City Hall when she gets into a park and inquire.

3Princesses1Prince
07-24-2015, 08:32 AM
Yes temporary disabilities count too.

If it's anything like Disneyland they'll probably suggest getting a chair. I think with a chair you don't need the card. WDW may be a little different though.

GusMan
07-24-2015, 11:29 AM
If he has to be on crutches, then I would also recommend a chair. It may not be what he wants, but it would make it a lot easier in the long run.
If hes going to use a boot - I guess it will depend on how mobile he is while in the boot and if walking longer distances for longer periods of time or standing in lines will be an issue.

Some walking around a local mall for a while using whatever method might help him get an idea if he will need a bit of help in order to have a magical trip.