PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle on-ride flash photography?

Pages : [1] 2

cdcooper
07-22-2015, 10:35 AM
Hello there,

I'm sorry if this should be in the trip planning thread...but with the addition of the Hatbox Ghost and my first-60th anniv. trip, I was wondering how you guys handle others using flash photography on rides like HM, Little Mermaid, Storybookland and other attractions. I personally hate it and I should probably just let it go and ride a second round and ignore them, but do you ever say anything?

disneyland addict13
07-22-2015, 12:20 PM
Hello there,

I'm sorry if this should be in the trip planning thread...but with the addition of the Hatbox Ghost and my first-60th anniv. trip, I was wondering how you guys handle others using flash photography on rides like HM, Little Mermaid, Storybookland and other attractions. I personally hate it and I should probably just let it go and ride a second round and ignore them, but do you ever say anything?

If it persists through multiple rooms of an attraction and is significantly impacting the experience, I will loudly say "No flash" so that the offender can hear. If it doesn't stop after that, I let it go. There are bigger things to worry about.

newhdplayer
07-22-2015, 12:35 PM
Hello there,

Whack 'em with your selfie-stick!

Mermaid
07-22-2015, 12:49 PM

I usually let it go and grumble to myself. But. See this guy in the front row in the ride picture taking a picture on Dinosaur. He took a picture every 15 seconds the whole ride. Our whole car was yelling at him to stop. This group was obnoxious in line and I thought about asking to be on a different vehicle than their group (which I have done before in line for Space Mt when the group behind us was spitting over the rail at people on the ride, yes I told the CM) but I didn't. The constant flashing was not only completely ruining the ride, it was making me sick. The ride vehicles stopped at some point and they were like "why did it stop?" The party next to us said "because you can't take flash pictures" to which the girl he was with grabbed the camera from him, turned it on us and flashed it right on our faces, twice. I don't think it stopped because of the pictures and I don't know if the other group really thought it did either but it was over the top. In hind sight, we should have asked the CM for a re-ride when we got back. When we saw his camera up in the ride photo, it was almost too funny. Almost!

tea4two
07-22-2015, 04:10 PM
If I see a group near us in line with their cameras ready to go, I'll ask the CM to say something in the safety spiel or to let us hang back to get as far away from them as possible. Sometimes an announcement will come over the PA, "No flash photography!" Letting the CMs at boarding know that I have some medical issues that are exacerbated by flash-in-the-dark-in-my-face helps. They try to keep things calm while helping me out. Sometimes, if the party seems truly clueless and keeps shooting with a flash, I'll say something or make a polite gesture asking them to stop. Most people don't mind, but there are always the jerks who don't care about other people.

bumblebeeonarose
07-22-2015, 06:50 PM
The ride vehicles stopped at some point and they were like "why did it stop?" The party next to us said "because you can't take flash pictures" to which the girl he was with grabbed the camera from him, turned it on us and flashed it right on our faces, twice.

WOW! This I over the top rude. I can't believe she flashed the camera in your face, twice. It's rude to take flash pictures as it ruins the ride, but people do it because they think they want those pictures (why I don't know?). However, to be all out rude like that to another guest is absolutely inexcusable. They're lucky you weren't the kind to fight back. I know people get testy at the parks and sometimes fights start.

Pammer
07-23-2015, 11:43 AM
The ride vehicles stopped at some point and they were like "why did it stop?" The party next to us said "because you can't take flash pictures" to which the girl he was with grabbed the camera from him, turned it on us and flashed it right on our faces, twice. I don't think it stopped because of the pictures and I don't know if the other group really thought it did either but it was over the top. In hind sight, we should have asked the CM for a re-ride when we got back.I think you should have reported them to Security - they should have been evicted from the park IMHO!

sjhanksaz
07-23-2015, 02:36 PM
What do you do when you are at the end of Space Mountain and the flash goes off for the photos?

tea4two
07-23-2015, 10:06 PM
For me, Mr. Tea and I pretty much know when the flash will go off on all the rides that take the photos so he pulls me down into his chest to cover my eyes or tells me to shut my eyes and lower my face. So far, this works every time, although it does make for some odd photos at the end of the rides.

TTFN92
07-23-2015, 10:06 PM
For the most part I don't do anything. I don't think I've ever been on a ride where it keeps happening. I've actually done it but not on purpose. I've taken a picture and then realized later that the flash went off. I didn't even think about it. I've also taken them not realizing that my flash was on which is usually in my phone. My flash is usually on off but will sometimes get switched and I don't realize it. I think most of the time it's unintentional. If it kept happening I would say something to the CM about it and try to ride again. But it's not worth running the ride over. Obnoxious, rude and loud groups bother me more than the flash.

tea4two
07-23-2015, 10:13 PM
I think there is a big difference between being inconvenienced or annoyed and risking medical issues caused by a strong flash in the dark (especially when unexpected). I've read about people having seizures and migraines (I know about this one from experience) triggered by flash photos on dark rides and about people who go temporarily blind (great fun riding a ride you can't see). Accidents happen and I think most people would be willing to excuse what clearly was not deliberate. It gets hard when people are told that the flash is a problem and they refuse to listen.

danyoung
07-24-2015, 09:04 AM
My response is directly proportional to how much the flash is irritating me. If it's right next to me, I'll loudly say something like "PLEASE STOP THE FLASH PICTURES!" If it's somewhere else in a Pirates boat, for instance, then I might keep silent about it. I'm not sure what I'd do in the above example with the guy flashing right in my face, but I don't think a poke in the nose would be totally out of line. Or hey, how bout grabbing the phone and flipping it out of the vehicle? I'm just full of ideas to get me in trouble!!!

candles71
07-24-2015, 09:19 AM
I knew you were a trouble maker. ;)

DH and I were on Jungle Cruise one night. This guy's flash seriously lit up the elephants like it was daylight. Kept taking flash pictures. He finally flashed the CM right in the face. The CM kind of lost his cool. Not angry and abusive speach, but slightly raised voice and clipped. Sir.Could. You. Please. Put. The. Flash. Away. That was really bright. Whistler and I were kinda silently cheering.
We got on pirates one morning, same boat as a woman with a huge camera with the flash attachment. I thought grrr, here we go. I misjudged her. Not one single flash picture. She was taking pictures, just not using her flash.

Tea, my sil is one that you can destroy her vision for about 15/20 minutes. She had a virus or bacteria she caught during their first posting in Hawaii. They didn't catch the fact that she had it until their second posting in Hawaii (after 4 years in San Diego). It caused damage to the switch mechanism (for lack of a better term) going from light to dark. I walked her into a wall at the movies one time. I turned, she didn't. It takes her 15 to 20 minutes to be able to see in low light after leaving a light room.

AnotherJenny
07-24-2015, 09:49 AM
I was in row six riding single rider with a couple in their mid to late fifties. He was using a camera to take selfies from the second we boarded, so I kept my head down. As soon as we entered the cave (old version of the ride, so it was dark) he took four selfies in quick succession so the flash was facing me. I asked them to stop, but he flashed at least seven more times before we reached the top. At that point I gave the one fingered salute next to the wife's head about half way down as he continued to use the flash. It was really awful, I had dark spots in my vision as we were waiting to unload. When we got off the ride he confronted me about asking him to stop. I responded it was rude to use a flash in the dark in someone's face and blind them. I was with a friend and two kids who we had sandwiched in the single rider line, so I waited at the exit while they walked away with him still shouting at me. I just waived and said "enjoy your pictures!" If I had been alone I don't know if I would have followed them or not out of the exit while that guy yelled or not. I doubt any of his pictures even came out, since he was just holding a camera backwards and shooting haphazardly. Now if it had been on something like Pirates or Haunted Mansion, since it was one of the kids second trip to Disneyland I would have asked for another ride. If it's just me or I'm with another AP friend I might comment to a CM so they can gauge the problem but I probably wouldn't ask to ride again when.

Nightwing
07-25-2015, 09:29 AM
Wish people would realize unless you have a heck of a powerful flash. A stock flash wont do anything on a ride!!! 6 to 12 feet maybe. Close up just makes the picture a mess. But people don't care about others around them. Its dangerous for the CM supervising the ride and reduces the experience for others around them.

But like in Tomorrowland... A stock flash just tick's off people!

TulaBelle
07-25-2015, 03:39 PM
We usually won't say anything because my hubby is something of a hot head. But I have on occasion spoken in a loud firm voice "No Flash photography" Repetative flashes will give me a headache, so rides like SM, I close my eyes and look down. Every ride photo my eyes are closed and I'm facing away from the camera :rolleyes: There's really not a lot you can do about people choosing to be ******s. I try to not let it ruin my experience, and re-ride if I can.

Tireddad
07-26-2015, 12:32 PM
The worst is when people film the World of Color and Fantastic with their camera light ON the entire time. This happened to us a few weeks ago for both shows. We walked to a better location on WOC, but had no where to move to during Fantasmic. Makes no sense, you are so far away if you are filming the lights do nothing for your shot I wish the CMs would be more proactive to scout the crowd and tell people to turn off their lights. Even during the Aladdin show, people were using flash.

sjhanksaz
07-26-2015, 12:40 PM
I would love to see an epic battle between two photographers and their flashes.

I could see them now going head to head to see who's battery could out last the other's, before one makes the other sick

Mermaid
07-26-2015, 01:03 PM
I should have reported them. We were so flabbergasted and mad that we just wanted out of there. Hindsight!!

I also should have reported the couple who sat in the front row of space mt with a flashlight on the track. We were in the second row and it took half the ride to figure out why it was so bright in there. This is when we were going to DL a lot, so it was just annoying more than ruining the ride. People are obnoxious!

AnotherJenny
07-26-2015, 04:10 PM
The one that always leaves me shaking my head are flash photos in the Grand Canyon mural tunnel. Especially with digital cameras. How many times do you need to see the camera flash reflect off the glass before you stop trying again and again.

The worst is when people film the World of Color and Fantastic with their camera light ON the entire time. This happened to us a few weeks ago for both shows. We walked to a better location on WOC, but had no where to move to during Fantasmic. Makes no sense, you are so far away if you are filming the lights do nothing for your shot I wish the CMs would be more proactive to scout the crowd and tell people to turn off their lights. Even during the Aladdin show, people were using flash.
Or when people leave the fake camera shutter sound on, so that even without a flash we hear "click, click, click, click, click" from a digital camera. It's not even really the shutter making that noise.

I've also been behind someone using a camcorder at Aladdin with a light turned on. I'm sure it was great for filming at home, but that light wasn't illuminating anything from 10 rows back but the fellow audience members trying to watch the show. It was awhile ago, I guess I haven't really seen any camcorders lately. It's amazing that iPads held over heads and cell phones on selfie sticks have managed to become more of an obstruction then those little pop out screens on camcorders were.

I should have reported them. We were so flabbergasted and mad that we just wanted out of there. Hindsight!!

I also should have reported the couple who sat in the front row of space mt with a flashlight on the track. We were in the second row and it took half the ride to figure out why it was so bright in there. This is when we were going to DL a lot, so it was just annoying more than ruining the ride. People are obnoxious!
Ugh, I had a family with a flashlight on Pirates. Their kids started crying after the first drop so they brought out a flashlight and one of those multicolor light sabers that they used to sell in the park but didn't extend it, so it was just a beam of green light. They told us one kid was afraid of the dark, they were surprised they were both crying. Here's a thought, skip the dark ride that makes your kid cry instead of pointing a flashlight in people's faces in the dark! In this case a CM actually did come up to our boat and tell them to turn them off. But they turned the wand on again with it extended 3 feet as soon as we were clear the the walkway the CM came out on. They kids had stopped crying by then, at least. Again, with LED lights being so much brighter now I realize it actually could have been worse. I'm the person who takes off glow necklaces on that ride because I worry they bother other guests.

candles71
07-26-2015, 05:53 PM
My phone has NO way to shut off the shutter sound. It is off on my camera, it was off on the old phone, this one has no shut off.

AnotherJenny
07-26-2015, 09:45 PM
My phone has NO way to shut off the shutter sound. It is off on my camera, it was off on the old phone, this one has no shut off.

Kind of OT, but on my previous phone I'd leave it sitting on silent on my desk at work, and it would silence all notifications. At one point there was an update and I started getting notifications, with sound from apps. I'd check, notifications were off, they'd vibrate or beep anyway. It got fixed, but ugh, silent mode should mean silent mode. I selected silent for a reason.

danyoung
07-27-2015, 07:12 AM

You may be right about this. My only suggestion would be to put the phone in silent mode, which should silence all sounds.

Or not . . . .

danyoung
07-27-2015, 07:14 AM
Ugh, I had a family with a flashlight on Pirates. Their kids started crying after the first drop so they brought out a flashlight .....

I had this happen once on Spaceship Earth in Epcot. The child was screaming right from the vehicle load, so the CM gave him a flashlight. The ride was totally ruined for everyone else within reach of the light, as the flashlight swung wildly back and forth, ruining any mood that the attraction was trying to create. And it still didn't help - the child was still screaming off and on!

candles71
07-27-2015, 07:17 AM
You may be right about this. My only suggestion would be to put the phone in silent mode, which should silence all sounds.

Or not . . . .
It doesn't.
That isn't to say, other people have this problem. My smart phone isn't one of the mainstream ones (iphone, note etc..), I wanted an actual keyboard, it is a major brand, just not one of the common phones.
ETA: I know it makes noise though and try hard to make sure it is focused and ready to take a good shot before pushing the button so that I am only taking 1 or 2 photos when quiet is needed. Like during worship services and taking a picture of one of the kids participating.