PDA

View Full Version : Check out (or BUY) David Koenig's "The People v. Disneyland"

jcruise86
07-14-2015, 02:24 PM
My copy of David Koenig's "The People v. Disneyland" arrived yesterday. I've started it and, so far, it's surpassing my high expectations! I've read three of his books, but this might turn out to be my favorite. Then again, I'm more interested in the law than most folks. This book would be a perfect gift for any lawyers you know who like Disney parks.

I'm guessing he'll sign copies at Disneyana on Sunday. I suggest asking him to write "Merry Christmas, (insert name)!" and stashing it in our closet till Christmas. Or "Happy Birthday. . ."

--Jcruise86, J.D.

David Koenig
07-15-2015, 08:11 AM
Thank you, Sir! Spread the word.

jcruise86
07-15-2015, 04:40 PM
Thank you, Sir! Spread the word.

You're welcome. Thank YOU for researching so extensively, interviewing so many, and for writing so well!

queenbetsey
07-16-2015, 07:11 PM
so excited for this new book from david Koenig. any chance you will be selling (and perhaps signing) them at D23 I was lucky enough to run into you at 2013 and was able to purchase mouse tales and you signed it for me. would like to add this one too

PhiSigDuchessCV
07-17-2015, 12:31 PM
Do you know if he'll be signing the book any other time then Sunday. I can't make it Sunday

David Koenig
07-17-2015, 04:01 PM
I'll be at Disneyana Saturday for a conventioneers-only program, at Disneyana sale Sunday (public welcome), and all three days at D23 at the MousePlanet booth. I'm also setting up several bookstore and library signings TBA.
Thank you for your interest!

Niwel
07-17-2015, 06:57 PM
I'll be at Disneyana Saturday for a conventioneers-only program, at Disneyana sale Sunday (public welcome), and all three days at D23 at the MousePlanet booth. I'm also setting up several bookstore and library signings TBA.

Look forward to seeing you at D23! (and signing, too)

olegc
07-17-2015, 09:31 PM
David - will you have copies to sell at D23 or should we bring our own?

Thank you!

amyuilani
07-19-2015, 05:48 PM
I live in Oregon and ordered mine through Amazon. I will have it on Wednesday at the latest, and I anticipate reading through it by Thursday at the latest. :)

goalieump413
07-20-2015, 12:24 PM
A little bizarre that Amazon listed it for sale July 17, 2015, on DL's 60th. :eyeroll:

sjhanksaz
07-23-2015, 03:36 PM
Just looked on Amazon, looks pretty interesting.

Malcon10t
07-24-2015, 08:37 PM
I'm about 1/2 thru it, pretty good! Explains why we lost the seats on the bridge.

amyuilani
07-26-2015, 12:09 PM
I finished this book with two main thoughts:

1. I found myself feeling infuriated with the way Disneyland Legal handles litigation. Negligence and personal injury are difficult to prove in court, but the methods that Disney took to avoid admitting culpability is downright insulting in some cases. Aside from the frivolous cases, most people are asking for Disney to admit fault and cover the medical expenses they incurred as a result of Disney's action/lack of action. But Disney will go to the ends of the earth to avoid doing just that. I get not paying up if they don't have to, especially if someone is asking for something they don't deserve, but some people lost loved ones or had their lives forever compromised, and an apology would go pretty far.

At the same time, I know that Koenig only had the records available at the time of research, and most settlements are sealed, so this is a small piece of litigation history.

2. If you really want to carry out a lawsuit against Disney, be prepared to be humiliated. Disney's attorneys are just doing their jobs, but some of the defenses they mount are pretty bad. On the one hand, "you should have paid attention to what you were doing" is common in negligence and personal injury, but "if you weren't so heavy, this wouldn't have happened" is pretty humiliating. It's like Disney is punishing you for wasting their time in court.

Maybe it's my distaste for personal injury litigation in general that turned me off a little, because otherwise, this book is quite enjoyable and will still appeal to the lover of all things "scandalous Disney."

sjhanksaz
07-26-2015, 12:30 PM
I finished this book with two main thoughts:

1. I found myself feeling infuriated with the way Disneyland Legal handles litigation. Negligence and personal injury are difficult to prove in court, but the methods that Disney took to avoid admitting culpability is downright insulting in some cases. Aside from the frivolous cases, most people are asking for Disney to admit fault and cover the medical expenses they incurred as a result of Disney's action/lack of action. But Disney will go to the ends of the earth to avoid doing just that. I get not paying up if they don't have to, especially if someone is asking for something they don't deserve, but some people lost loved ones or had their lives forever compromised, and an apology would go pretty far.

At the same time, I know that Koenig only had the records available at the time of research, and most settlements are sealed, so this is a small piece of litigation history.

2. If you really want to carry out a lawsuit against Disney, be prepared to be humiliated. Disney's attorneys are just doing their jobs, but some of the defenses they mount are pretty bad. On the one hand, "you should have paid attention to what you were doing" is common in negligence and personal injury, but "if you weren't so heavy, this wouldn't have happened" is pretty humiliating. It's like Disney is punishing you for wasting their time in court.

Maybe it's my distaste for personal injury litigation in general that turned me off a little, because otherwise, this book is quite enjoyable and will still appeal to the lover of all things "scandalous Disney."

Welcome to America where you can get rich quick, not that all people are looking to do this but they have to look at every case this way.

jcruise86
07-28-2015, 11:15 AM
Here's a link to a podcast interview with David Koenig about this:

http://micechat.com/107099-sweep-spot-episode-160-author-david-koenig/

queenbetsey
07-30-2015, 02:12 PM
so looking forward to seeing you at d23. It is exciting to meet one of my favorite authors and get my book autographed, we live halfway between Disneyland and san diego so we don't get many signings down here