PDA

View Full Version : What are the chances for lost item recovery?

bubbasmom99
11-10-2003, 08:27 AM
My husband's cell phone came out of the clip on Saturday night somewhere inside the Starcade or Star Trader. Given that it's a nice cell phone, what are the chances that we haven't lost it forever?

I tried calling it but there was no signal for most of the night and next day, so I'm hoping it's somewhere in the building. I hope it wasn't knocked or kicked under one of those video game units... who knows when they'll be moved! The cell phone company says no outgoing phone calls have been made.

We kept checking with lost and found but when we left yesterday, they were still collecting and cataloging lost items from Saturday. Hopefully it will turn up. We had only just gotten the new phones on Friday!

Demigod121
11-10-2003, 08:34 AM
Keep calling them....things like that, if found by a cast member, are almost always turned into the Lost and Found....if it was found, you should get it back in few days.

My wife has found all kinds of things there at the park, so don't feel bad. Easy to lose things in all the excitement.

-Demigod

JazzBaby
11-10-2003, 08:43 AM
My next door neighbor got her wallet back, with all the money still in it. Most (note: most, not all) lost items are found by cast members and they eventually work their way to lost and found.

Keep calling them, you've got a good chance.

Jazz

tod
11-10-2003, 08:53 AM
The it-always-comes-back theory of lost items at Disneyland doesn't seem to apply to cell phones. I lost my Motorola StarTAC flip phone -- you know, one of those flat jet-black babies that looks like it came out of a James Bond movie -- in the queue at "it's a small world" and it disappeared a moment ater I knew it was lost. I was hoping the finder was waiting for a Disneyalnd CM to give it to.

I'm still waiting. It'll be two years in July.

--T
:fez:

HBTiggerFan
11-10-2003, 09:56 AM
Call your provider, tell them the time and day it was lost. Until you report it lost you are responsible for all calls made on the phone. They'll probably turn it off until it's recovered, and they may be able to track who has the phone by the numbers called.

As for recovery, I lost a pair of Oakleys, and my friend lost her coin purse she was using for her info. MY oakleys were returned, her purse was returned sans money.

bubbasmom99
11-10-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan
Call your provider, tell them the time and day it was lost. Until you report it lost you are responsible for all calls made on the phone. They'll probably turn it off until it's recovered, and they may be able to track who has the phone by the numbers called.

I kept calling and direct-connecting the phone, and it kept coming back with a bad signal so I'm hoping that it's just out of range inside a building somewhere (the Star Trader building had horrible reception for me). I have called the provider and they have blocked the # for me. They said no calls had been made, so I'm hoping that means it's lost and not stolen. I would think that someone would at least try to make a couple phone calls..... then again, it's probably going to show up on Ebay tomorrow... <sigh>.

Dexter
11-10-2003, 01:02 PM
A friend of mine left her cell phone in one of the restrooms at the park and by the time we got back to the restroom the phone was gone. We went to lost and found and filled out a form and had the phone back within a week. The CM at lost and found told us that they find hundreds of cell phones a day at the park and they would do thier best to get our phone back to us and they did! So I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it's found.

iwannabeanimagineer
11-10-2003, 03:44 PM
I don't want to dash your hopes, but just infuse a little realism:

We lost an item on Mulholland Madness a couple of years ago. Okay, it was a hat, an item lost as often on MM as kids barf on the Mad Tea Party. We asked a cast member if they could retrieve it and we pointed right to it. "No. You'll have to go to lost and found." We told lost and found exactly where the "lost" item was. "We can't go get it until after closing. Come back tomorrow." No hat the next day. We filled out the form. No hat ever. Okay, so it was only a hat. But it proved to me some CM's can't be bothered with pleasing guests. I hope they care more about cell phones.

miss bianca
11-10-2003, 04:14 PM
Last September I found a really nice Video Camera atop the FP machines for Pirates...I turned it in to a CM!

Last April I found a little girl wandering the PPH halls at 1 in the am...I helped her find her Mom who was looking for her on another floor!

So things do get returned at DL! :)

adriennek
11-10-2003, 04:14 PM
I once lost my husband's PDA at DL- within the first 24 hours or so that he owned it! We were amazed that it was already in Lost & Found when we got there.

There are amazing stories and not as happy stories but anything's possible with DLR L&F.

Adrienne

DisneyFan25863
11-10-2003, 04:25 PM
Well-I have both a sucess story and a depressing story with DLR L&F
. Lets start with the depressing one:
Last Winter, I went on Indy with my friend, with 2 lanyards of pins that I had been collecting for about 3 years. When we got on the ride, they were on me. When I got off-no pins on my neck :eek:
Went to L&F and reported it. Never got them back :(

On the other hand, I once lost my brand-new, really cool cell phone that I had been saving up for for almost a year at Rancho Del Zocalo. Got it back in a week :)

bubbasmom99
11-10-2003, 10:00 PM
Thank you for the stories! I am holding out hope.

Adrienne, our cell phones were brand new too! Got them on Friday, and lost his on Saturday.... :(

Black Pearl
11-11-2003, 05:25 AM
I was holding mine & my wifes drivers liscenses on Splash. When we got off - gone. A couple of days later, we each got a Disneyland letterhead envelope, postmarked Anaheim, with our liscenses in them. That was cool.

termoo
11-11-2003, 07:33 AM
My friend lost her sunglasses on Indiana Jones. Not only did the CM immediately produce a large bucket of recovered sunglasses for her to look through, but when my friend couldn't find hers, the CM gave her a certificate good at any Disney store in the park for a new pair. We were very impressed with their organization, helpfulness and generosity. To me, it was just another example of what sets Disney apart. :)

tod
11-11-2003, 07:49 AM
One of The Little tods got a letter from Disneyland recently. He opened up the envelope and his Annual Passport tumbled out, which was the first hint he had that it was missing.

And that required some effort on Disneyland's part -- okay, not a lot, I'm sure a quick swipe of the bar code through the right computer turned it up in a couple of seconds -- to do that.

So things do turn up.

-T
:fez:

Polar33
11-11-2003, 11:51 AM
I've taken quite a few lost cell phones to lost and found in the past, so there is some hope.

Once I had a lost cell in my pocket as I could not take it to lost and found at the time and it rang. I answered it hoping to at least find out the name of the person who owned the phone to help out lost and found, and sure enough, it was the person who owned it on the other end. I explained who I was and arranged a place to meet her so she could pick it up. She was quite happy to get her cell phone back so quickly. :)

Saratoga75
11-11-2003, 12:17 PM
Recovery is still possible. I lost my KodaK Advantix C400 camera in the Starcade the last time i went to Disneyland in one of the place's your husband's phone might have been lost . Honestly I was in a panic after I realized it fell out of my pocket. Fortunately a cast member found it, and within 20 minutes it was sitting in lost and found when i got there. Since no one has used the phone, quite possible it's under one of those video game units. .or behind a trashcan, etc. Well if someone unknowing person is to buy the phone say on ebay, and trys to register for service. . your cellular provider with your phone on file would know the situation.

stitch626
11-12-2003, 06:57 PM
Is there a chance that I can recover a scarf I lost on 11/11/03? :D (Yea, doubt it.) It was one of those black scarfs with Winnie the Pooh. :crying: They were sold at Disneyland two years ago. Oh well. I hope my friend doesn't get too mad since it was her's. What is this number anyways? Where can I find it? I couldn't locate any number on the Disneyland site. Just in case for the future?

Saratoga75
11-12-2003, 07:04 PM
Hi stitch.. .sorry to hear about your scarf!!! Well the only number i think can think of is (714)781-4565 the main disneyland resort#. I dont know if they have an extension dedicated to lost & found. I think there should be a number avaiable or a form online to be filled out in the event of a loss item.

tod
11-13-2003, 08:31 AM
The main Disneyland switchboard number is 714 781 4000.

The 4565 number sends you to the recorded guest information section of the Disneyland Telephone Labyrinth, which will never be finished as long as there is still some unused wire somewhere in Orange County...

;)

The 4565 number is very handy if it's 4 AM and you need Aladdin show times for next week, not so good for Lost and Found enquiries.

Hope this helps.

--T
trying to earn back his :fez:

bubbasmom99
11-13-2003, 12:42 PM
Here is the info off the business card from Lost and Found:

Resort Lost and Found
(714) 817-2166

Guest Relations
PO Box 3232
Anaheim, CA 92803-3232

And as of yesterday, still no phone, but I'll keep calling back once or twice a week to check. They said they clean the floors in the Starcade once a month (where they move machines), so I hope it turns up eventually.

Mickeyfan3
11-18-2003, 12:06 PM
My mother in law lost her 5 day park hopper our first day there while playing w/ my son at ESPN zone. She hadn't signed it and figured it was a lost cause. But a guest found it and turned it in.

richas
11-18-2003, 12:20 PM
We left a backpack on a bench near HM just after Xmas last year. We had five kids to keep track of and it just got lost in the shuffle. Went back to the bench about 10 min later and it was gone -- along with the cd player and cd's inside! It turned up with nothing missing at the Lost and Found office, but not till the next day.

Mickeyfan3
11-18-2003, 12:39 PM
We brought an umbrella stroller w/ us for our Christmas 2000 trip right after Thanksgiving. My son was almost 4, and it was more of a convenience for us if his legs got tired than something we actually used.

Anyway, it was brand new and still had the plastic covering the rubber straps. I had also tied some flourescent ribbins to the handles so that someone else couldn't grab it by accident and mistake it for their own. (a bunch of ribbon)

I'd parked it with a bunch of other strollers against a wall by Splash Mountain. You'd have to climb over the other strollers to get to it., and it was folded to save space.

When we got off the ride, it was missing. We were waiting to meet friends, so I left my husband and son to wait and went looking, thinking someone grabbed it by mistake, even thought it was folded and had a bunch of funky ribbon on it to id it. Found it stashed behind and UNDER some other stollers in POTC...don't think that was a mistake....an honest person would have returned it to a CM or to the area they found it, and not tried to hide it. The walk back to Splash Mountain isn't that far, and the park wasn't so crowded that it would have been hard to do.

hbquikcomjamesl
11-18-2003, 01:30 PM
I once lost a hat on Space Mountain. It was an official California State Railroad Museum hat, and it was the last leftover specimen of a special design for the previous year's RailFair. I later found out that it was irreplacable.

I filled out all the paperwork. The hat never did return.

I'd say that your chances of getting a lost item back, at least under similar circumstances to mine, are five. And "Slim," "Fat," "Snowball-in-Hell," and an Asian fellow simply known by the quaint term, "The Chinaman" have all left the country.