PDA

View Full Version : "it's a small world" Holiday less festive this year

Pages : [1] 2

Morrigoon
11-09-2003, 11:56 PM
It came upon me as a sneaking suspicion - something just didn't seem right with IASW Holiday. Was it somehow less festive than in the past? It seems like there were whole patches of the attraction that didn't feel dressed up at all, yet, the dolls were holding ornaments, etc, so I naysayed myself. Then tonight, I came across direct proof that there is less decoration than last year:

Venice. In past years I had admired a neat little trick they did with a Christmas light string, where they used clear platic "to go" boxes, over the light, then the whole thing wrapped in colorful cellophane to make it look like a giant piece of candy. There were whole strands of this candy light across the Venice section. This year: the gondolier is holding an ornament. No, I swear, that's it, that's all they did for that part of the ride. So I'm right, there IS less this year. And I'm sure there are other sections which are radically different than in previous years, if I bothered to look at video of a previous year for comparison.

It'll be a couple days before I get my photos up online, but when I do I'll provide a link.

Why oh why do they mess with a good thing?
"Hey, that's making money, we'd better cut their budget!"

Not Afraid
11-10-2003, 07:24 AM
The little "hidden" character appearances are missing too. No Flounder with the Mermaids, no surfing Stitch. :crying:

cstephens
11-10-2003, 12:31 PM
I don't know about "less festive" but we missed seeing the fish that the mermaids left out for Santa.

As for Stitch, I didn't expect to see him this year as I expected he was just a "in the moment" thing from last year.

spectromen
11-10-2003, 02:40 PM
No candy in Venice? Those looked so good! All I can think is A) they broke while being taken down last year and there was no money for new ones or B)They had to rush to get the ride open by 11/7 and haven't had time to finish.

I know this is the wrong place, but the option A reminded me of something else left unresolved - will we ever see new light strings and speakers around the boardwalk bend on the way to Screamin' at DCA?

cemeinke
11-10-2003, 05:15 PM
I noticed there were no candy smells or bubbles this year either - maybe they'll come later?

sleepyjeff
11-10-2003, 06:43 PM
I think they continue decorating right up to Thanks-giving. So, if you are able( unlike me ) go again in early December and see if there are more decorations.

cross your fingers, I could be wrong.

Morrigoon
11-10-2003, 06:43 PM
Spectromen: um... no money? It's fast food containers over a light string, wrapped in cellophane, how expensive can it possibly be?

And yeah, I noticed the no bubbles thing and no Stitch too. I chalked Stitch up to not being this year's movie, and figured maybe the bubble machine was broken (hey, everything else is broken these days), but once I realized something that was absolutely missing, I knew I was right about the "less festive" thing.

DisneyFan25863
11-10-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
Spectromen: um... no money? It's fast food containers over a light string, wrapped in cellophane, how expensive can it possibly be?

I would guess $50....way to much when you are considering Eisner DOES need his 8th Vacation home over in Hong Kong :rolleyes:

All That Glitters...
11-10-2003, 07:00 PM
I was there last night (Sunday) and there was the Peppermint smell. Did notice that the surfer boy in Hawaii does not have presents on his surfboard this year (I believe he did last year). Perhaps they will keep on adding as the season goes on and time permits.

Disneyfreak
11-10-2003, 08:31 PM
Its very obvious that they were rushed because they wanted to get the ride open as soon as possible because of the major E-ticket shortage. They will probably add stuff as they go along. They just wanted it open quickly and maybe they overlooked some things.:)

DonaldDuck14
11-10-2003, 08:33 PM
i don't know if most of u know this, but the setup for It's a Small World holiday did start late and they had to hurry to have majority up by november 7th also because of the fact that so many rides are down. So all of those special details probably had to be cut out because of the makeover rush that was demanded. So that could be the reason.

DonaldDuck14
11-10-2003, 08:34 PM
oops, sorry for posting a reply that was perviously stated before mine. I didn't see that post before submitting mine

Tigertail777
11-10-2003, 08:49 PM
Hold on a minute... smells? really? thats so cool! I havnt gotten to ride it yet, but wow thats a nifty detail! What are the smells that are in there?

Morrigoon
11-10-2003, 09:58 PM
Donald: that may be true, but if they get the impression that nobody notices, they may not ever go back and fill in the rest.

Polar33
11-13-2003, 11:39 AM
I went on IASW Holiday last night and saw the surfing Stitch. I can't remember if I saw any of the other missing decor unfortunately, as I was busy wishing that the loud and obnoxious group that occupied the rest of the boat would somehow fall out. But overall it did seam a bit under-decorated this year. I'd Give it time...I think the decorating crews are just spread too thin this year with everything going on. By Thanksgiving everything should be in place.

Morrigoon
11-13-2003, 11:46 AM
Let's hope so.

TP2000
11-13-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
..... Then tonight, I came across direct proof that there is less decoration than last year:

Venice. In past years I had admired a neat little trick they did with a Christmas light string, where they used clear platic "to go" boxes, over the light, then the whole thing wrapped in colorful cellophane to make it look like a giant piece of candy. There were whole strands of this candy light across the Venice section. This year: the gondolier is holding an ornament. No, I swear, that's it, that's all they did for that part of the ride. So I'm right, there IS less this year. And I'm sure there are other sections which are radically different than in previous years, if I bothered to look at video of a previous year for comparison.

It'll be a couple days before I get my photos up online, but when I do I'll provide a link.

Why oh why do they mess with a good thing?
"Hey, that's making money, we'd better cut their budget!"

I went on Small World Holiday Wednesday afternoon (yesterday) and the Italy/Venice section was completely decorated with the cellophane boxes and all of the candy. The godolier is holding a decoration, but he now also has a string of candy in his hand and across his boat. There's plenty of other candies hanging in the air and strung all over the sets in Venice. It all looked wonderfully decorated and freshly prepared. The Smell-I-Tizer was also on and pumping out candy scent.

Overall Small World Holiday looked fantastic to me! Everything seemed fresh and new and shiny. All of the dolls were working and every little twinkle light was blinking. The only thing I noticed as not working was the bubble machine as you enter Polynesia. But this year they also have added some cool underwater light effects to that room, so it wasn't any big deal without the bubbles. When the bubble machine works again, it will be really cool.

I think what likely happened was that the missing details on opening day were a casualty of having to cut the Small World Holiday rehab in half because of all of the other ride closures. They scrambled to get all of the big stuff in during the 12 day closure, and then are spending the following week or two installing the smaller details.

The nicest part of the ride however was when I got off and this Australian family was just RAVING about how "unexpected" and "impressive" it was. They had no idea it would be all decorated and changed for Christmas, and they were blown away by it all. They were all smiles and laughter and they looked like they were having the time of their life.

Small World Holiday is back for the season, and all of it's details and magic are firmly in place.

Laffite
11-13-2003, 02:15 PM
is this kid still here? http://ot.cupofnoodles.com/override.php/125-2536_IMG.JPG

CoasterMatt
11-13-2003, 03:24 PM
What would IASW be without a boy choking his chicken?

cryan71
11-13-2003, 05:27 PM
Uh, you people are scaring me.

sleepyjeff
11-13-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by CoasterMatt
What would IASW be without a boy choking his chicken?

:eek:

Cadaverous Pallor
11-13-2003, 07:32 PM
Heehee.....we always point him out to newcomers. :~D

And the chicken head moves up and down too....:eek:

Laffite
11-13-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
Heehee.....we always point him out to newcomers. :~D

And the chicken head moves up and down too....:eek:

you know it baby

Old Blue
11-13-2003, 08:30 PM
Only two weeks were allotted for the decorations for Small World. They knew in the beginning that they could not get it all done in that time, and that third shift would be adding things at night.

Morrigoon
11-14-2003, 12:11 AM
Glad to hear they're completing it. Those candy lights were so innovative!