PDA

View Full Version : Closing DCA for the Duration...?

merlinjones
09-16-2001, 09:32 AM
Here's an interesting hypothetical:

Having seen the airline CEOs on Sam & Cokie this morning, it becomes very apparrent that travel will not recover anytime soon as this war situation develops.

Since longterm operational overheard will surely be affected at DLR, it occurs to me that a face-saving option for Disney could be to close DCA for the duration of the war.

This could be easily explained to the press as a wartime casualty, and prevent major losses between the two parks (perhaps with tax advantages to boot). Operations could then be focused on Disneyland and maximizing the limited gate, routing all paying customers to one facility.

With DCA closed, Disney could take the opportunity to significantly retool the elements that do not work and build additional major attractions for a new grand opening at a future time.

Without actions such as this. I'm afraid Disneyland itself might suffer greatly from sharing a limited number of DLR guests with DCA. Value of current two-park AP's could be applied toward longer one-park passes.

I say this not so much for hate of DCA, as for fear that DL will take the brunt of this. A "temporary" DCA closure could be a win-win scenario for both parks.

GoldenEars
09-16-2001, 09:24 PM
ARE YOU NUTS? :confused:

There is no way Disney would ever think of closing DCA for good, or during the length of time this war will be going. They'll do whatever they can to boost guest attendence. But for me, it's a way of escape to go to both Parks and enjoy myself.

Even tho a lot of people aren't thrilled with DCA (and that would NOT include me), I honestly think they would rather see it stay open and enjoy whatever it is they do like about it. And for those who don't like anything about it, then they can stay out.

However, rumors are running wild about DCA closing for 1 or 2 days during the week. But somehow, I don't think that'll happen.
I was there today (Sunday, 9/16/01) and the Park was very slow but, I loved it! Infact, Disneyland was very quiet too with guests.

Side bar...they can't close DCA, I love watching *my girls* too much when I'm there. And those girls would be the performers who do that WONDERFUL show, *Chance To Shine!!*:D

zapppop
09-16-2001, 09:48 PM
If it closed for the duration of the war, when Disney would re-open it, I doubt anyone would bother to return.

Mr D
09-17-2001, 04:36 AM
I think DCA would be too easily a target for terrorist activities, lets take the good stuff from DCA and temporarily add to DL. With the berm surrounding DL I feel safer than at DCA.

tjrj
09-17-2001, 06:43 AM
While I don't agree with closing DCA at all, I do agree there should be a berm. Because I haven't been to the Park yet-going in December-I think-I was shocked while reading Al's report on security concerns last week. The roadway is so close to DCA. There definitely should be a berm.

merlinjones
09-17-2001, 07:58 AM
Perhaps, then, DCA should just be open "seasonally" like the Sailing Ship Columbia, Mile Long Bar or the Plaza Pavillion (oops).

Nigel2
09-17-2001, 09:50 PM
Ummm, I think the mile long bar is gone too. I really am not super concerend about saftey in the areas that were pointed out since I dont go there anyway.:D Plus its not that easy to get a vehical bomb there since it would have to go through alot to nail anything (attraction wise) Plus disneyland is a better target since more people are there.

thamnarestan
09-18-2001, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Mr D
With the berm surrounding DL I feel safer than at DCA.

The berm wouldn't prevent a jet from slamming into the Matterhorn. Or a helicopter from spreading anthrax spores over the park.

Don't feel safe. You shouldn't.

Nigel2
09-18-2001, 10:46 AM
With the current way the airports are being run it would be hard to take over a jet and then slam it into the matterhorn. Especially the angle they probably would have to take since its so much smaller than a sky scraper. I could see a choper doing that, but not a passanger jet, possibly a small plane could do it.

thamnarestan
09-18-2001, 11:17 AM
I disagree that it would be very difficult to take over a passenger jet. Weapons exist that wouldn't be detected by metal detectors, and it's possible that some pilots could be Moslem terrorists.

You're right that it would be difficult to slam into the Matterhorn. But even if one missed, he would still hit something in Disneyland, killing hundreds of people and inflicting a lot of damage.

I don't really think that these scumbags will repeat their method of terrorism, though. There are many more terrifying possibilities.

I really am afraid of what will happen as this war progresses. If this gets really bad I might just forget about my future and enlist.

I just don't think we can feel safe.

violetdaisies
09-18-2001, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by thamnarestan

Don't feel safe. You shouldn't.

Oh please!

Don't live your life in terror.

This is NOT the time to make people feel even more scared than they already are. As Morrigoon said in another thread/post (more eloquently than I'm paraphrasing)...when it's your time...it's your time...if its not...its not.

Nigel2
09-18-2001, 12:47 PM
I don't think a terrorist would try something like that anytime soon since people would probaby attack the hijacker since they know what might happen if they didn't. I wonder if it would even be possible to get a passenger jet to crash into such a low target? Since it is so low the jet would have to decend from a formidable distance since they probably cant do a 90 degree turn. Also the surronding buildings would have a better chance of getting hit than the parks. A chopper on the other hand could load up with explosives and that would be it.

splbound
09-18-2001, 02:47 PM
violetdaisies:

Oh please! Don't live your life in terror

If I may play devil's advocate....

"Please don't live in denial"....

Disneyland, and Disneyworld both have been targets of many thwarted terrorist attacks. One of which was the highly publicized New Year's Celebration.

As an Anaheim resident in very close proximity to the resort, I am quite nervous as to how our "war effort" is going to play out. I think the fear of retaliation is very real. Aside from major financial or military targets, DL is a prime target. I don't see a plane hitting the Mattterhorn, or a car bomb detonate on Katella, but the opportunity to release a biological weapon in the park on a busy day is something that we should ALL be concerned about.

The same for ball games, concerts, etc. Welcome to 2001~