PDA

View Full Version : Bring Back these Three Things at Disneyland

Pages : [1] 2 3

SteveOriole
11-09-2003, 02:38 PM
Pretend you're an advisor to the Big Cheese, Michael Eisner. He's just asked you to recommend the next three (3) attractions to construct [or re-install] at Disneyland. Waddya say?

My top three would be as follows:
1. Eliminate all the politically correct changes made to POTC since the ride first opened in 1966. Let the pirate hold the woman's dress while she hides in the barrel. And let the goodly sized woman chase the man, and not just for food. I mean, there's no way to make POTC politically correct -- they're selling women at auction for goodness sake!

2. Bring back the Skyway. When the park holds its' nightly parade, it would be a convenient way to access the other side of the park. Presently, once the parade starts, you're stuck on a particular side of the park.

3. Construct a combination "Atlantis / "Captain Nemo" / "Little Mermaid" attraction in the Submarine Lagoon. This large portion of the Park has remained inactive simply too long.

What are your top three?

Captain Josh
11-09-2003, 02:58 PM
This might actually require repealing of a few state and federal laws, but I want to see toy guns and rifles back in the shops on the West Side of the park...I mean, Quiksilver clothing just isn't the same as a plastic revolver.

sleepyjeff
11-09-2003, 03:08 PM
My top three! OMGm I have about three dozen........however I will honor the wishes of the thread starter and just list my very Top three:

1) Bring back the Tahitian Terrace Polynesian Dinner Show. This was a favorite of many right up to closing......Re-open it...NOW!

2) Bring activity back to the Lagoon. The motor boat cruise could be a Little Mermaid Ride(remember the "Kiss the Girl" song/scene in the movie). The Submarines could be updated with fiber optic technology and re-launched as a Journey to Sea Base Alpha.....a futuristic undersea research facility---:cool:

3) Tear out the entire Big Thunder area (ride, ranch, and festival arena) and build the Western River Expedition Attractions:cool: :cool: .

I want to list more....I really do. Let me just second SteveOrioles #2. I miss the skyway big time(even though it was a bit scary):eek:

Ok....I kept my list to 3 (kinda;) ).........

Freerider127
11-09-2003, 03:27 PM
1. Bring back rocket rods.
2. Get space operating.
3. something in the sub lagoon.

redrhino
11-09-2003, 04:59 PM
Skyway

Peoplemover

America Sings or Carousel of Progress, take your pick

I am sure there are many other things worth considering, but these are off-the-cuff top three.

Redrhino

wdtv
11-09-2003, 05:09 PM
- Bring back the submarines
- Axe Innoventions; we want the COP!
- Re-negotiate with the gloved one and return Captain Eo to Tomorrowland (the que could even be more exciting this time around ... more "futuristic")! Unlike HISTA, Captain Eo was a show worth repeating

DisneyFan25863
11-09-2003, 05:35 PM
Design a de-freezing chamber for walt and let him decide

wdtv
11-09-2003, 05:45 PM
I just thought of another thing: instead of CEo, an updated version of the old Mission to Mars (I think that's what it was called) attraction. Although Autopia is great and the new Buzz Attraction will be awesome (I'm sure), we need something other than SM to truly "define" Tomorrowland.

Better yet, axe Innoventions, put Captain Eo on the first floor of the theaater (since it looks as though the second may -- for now -- be used for the 50th), and move mission to mars into the old magic eye theater.

I'd be willing to sacrifice a DL version of COP for that.

BJW
11-09-2003, 05:56 PM
I wanted to bring up something that none of you thought of. I'd like to see "Magic Journeys" again, the 3-D movie that played in the Magic Eye Theatre/Imagination Institute building before Captain Eo. I know it was no where near as futuristic as Captain Eo, but I miss that cheesy song "Magic Journeys, arent they real..." and the scene with the kids doing battle with the witch was a classic. I hope Disneyland finds a way to use this movie again sometime in the future as I'm sure it costs a lot to film for the little time it was used. Does anyone else remember this? Would be good to replace HISTA, even temporarily.

sleepyjeff
11-09-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by BJW
I wanted to bring up something that none of you thought of. I'd like to see "Magic Journeys" again, the 3-D movie that played in the Magic Eye Theatre/Imagination Institute building before Captain Eo. I know it was no where near as futuristic as Captain Eo, but I miss that cheesy song "Magic Journeys, arent they real..." and the scene with the kids doing battle with the witch was a classic. I hope Disneyland finds a way to use this movie again

Before Circlevision was closed:crying: , they used to rotate different cirlevision movies in the theater. Why not do this at the magic eye theater. You could play HISTS in the am, than switch over to Captain EO in the PM. And on Sundays, and holidays, run Magic Journeys all day:)

wdtv
11-09-2003, 06:21 PM
Good idea, but wit work? I mean theming-wise.

wdtv
11-09-2003, 06:21 PM
would it work

sleepyjeff
11-09-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by wdtv
Good idea, but wit work? I mean theming-wise.

I am not sure about the speed of changing the film...that could be a problem( but not a huge one).

As for theming. It is somewhat generic already. Just change the TV show on the monitors outside to match the movie, and viola.

If I recall the tv shows were.......Magic Journeys.....Making memories Kodak video( which I really liked )

Captain EO............The making of Captain EO

HISTA...................tv news type show setting up the movie inside.

Don't see any major obstacles except maybe the special effects inside theater....just turn them off when HISTA is not running;)

Tigertail777
11-10-2003, 04:36 AM
1) subs darn you! subs! Make a brand new subs show based on the old with better technology, and more magic. I dont care if you throw finding nemo, little mermaid, 20,000 leagues and "seabase alpha" ideas all together, as long as its done thematically right for each section. (this would actually be a neat bufffer for fantasyland/tomorrowland: a ride that features both types of story without one overwhelming the other). Just put in a new subs ride darn it!

2) skyway most definately.. great views of the park, love going through the matterhorn (you could even make a little "show" in that part just for skyway riders...another abominable snow man or something) I would prefer however that skyway be somehow themed, and have a bit of its own "show"... maybe scenes on those dull roofs of rides you see below? Several ways you could theme the ride cars: flying cars.. maybe even flying "flubber cars" with sound effects like the original movie. Or flying carpets ala aladdin... Any way it is done this ride is a must: watchign fireworks from the cars is magical, and creates less congestion in the hub for those that want to see the fireworks that way (you could even have the audio you hear in the hub for beleive or whatever show "piped in" to the cars.) AND as someone stated before: most improtantly it is a way to get from one side of the park to the other during parades, that was always a great purpose.

3) I wholeheartedly agree with bringing back the tahitian terrace. tiki culture is more popular than ever, and how cool would it be to have a dinner show open till the park closing in adventureland? Bring on the fire dancers and hula girls!!! And you could get a lot of local "tiki" style bands to play every weekend, and for the kiddies have a little corner set aside of Lilo and stitch, where they can meet the characters and even sit and color/have desserts like Lilo does in the movie.

merlinjones
11-10-2003, 06:25 AM
1) Submarine Voyage

2) Skyway

3) Tahitian Terrace/Polynesian Revue

4) Rocket Jets returned to central Tomorrowland

5) Golden Horseshoe Revue

6) PeopleMover

7) Swiss Family Robinson

8) Cascade Peak

9) Adventure Thru Inner Space

10) Captain Hook's Pirate Ship and Skull Rock

11) Carousel of Progress

12) Sleeping Beauty Dioramas

13) Tiki Room maintenence

14) Monorail replacement/maintenence

15) Country Bears at Hungry Bear

edtsch
11-10-2003, 06:54 AM
It's interesting that so many peoples' comments relate to Tomorrowland. I was just at DL in mid October, and TL is definitely in need of some TLC, and not just because Space Mountain is closed for renovation.

1. Innoventions needs desperately to be either rethought or removed. The presentation is too chaotic. I couldn't help but think of the Disney Animation attraction at DCA, and how much nicer and more engaging it is compared to Innoventions, which could be a really cool thing but isn't.

2. I too think it would be awesome for them to make use of the sub lagoons, and they've got all kinds of movie material to choose from.

3. Monorails/PeopleMover: These forms of transportation were intended to not only solve problems within the parks, but to point the way to possible solutions for our cities. It would be more faithful to Walt's vision for them to revise and repair or replace them (make them work long-term), then for them to be scrapped. And if necessity is the mother of invention, there certainly is a need to handle traffic flow in the park in a creative way. Not only do your feet get worn out walking and standing everywhere, but the traffic jam in front of POTC during Fantasmic! is obscene.

sleepyjeff
11-10-2003, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by merlinjones

15) Country Bears at Hungry Bear

Now that's a great idea.:)

millionairegirl
11-10-2003, 07:22 AM
Ok, these may not be the best things for the park, but the three things *I* want to see:

*Peoplemover, Peoplemover, Peoplemover!

*Columbia Harbour House open again. Curly fries on a cold winter day!

*A new movie for Star Tours. It is really not his first time anymore!

wood_is_mine
11-10-2003, 10:07 AM
I've never seen this "attraction", but my Mom says that there used to be a really good restaraunt at or near theColumbia. It was called Chicken of the Sea and you could get really great tuna sandwiches.

hefferdude
11-10-2003, 11:34 AM
This might actually require repealing of a few state and federal laws, but I want to see toy guns and rifles back in the shops on the West Side of the park...I mean, Quiksilver clothing just isn't the same as a plastic revolver.

My boys have 3 muskets ( big - medium and little ), 2 pirate pistols and a double barrel deringer style pistol. They are wood stock with soft metal parts. They are still looked upon as family DL keepsakes. Those were great times in earlier days as kids in Adventureland / Fronteirland and NOS.And any trip to DL absolutely required a stop at the shooting arcade.

Then again, this was a time when the world wasn’t so darned hypersensitive about everything.

I'd like to see
1. TSI fort rebuilt
2. Skyway restored
3. People mover returned and possibly connected with DCA.

Nephythys
11-10-2003, 11:48 AM
1- Subs
2- a NEW Adventure through Inner Space highlighting new technology
3- MAINTENANCE!

Not Afraid
11-10-2003, 12:02 PM
These are the three things I miss the most:

[list=1]
Carousel of Progress
Circlevision Theater - America the Beautiful
Adventures through Inner Space
[/list=1]

I just want to make out on ATIS.:~D

SiRocket
11-10-2003, 01:02 PM
1- get rid of hista and turn the honey i shrunk series/movies into a ride like adventures through inner space was....

2- rebuild the fort

3- do something with the 2nd floor of the starcade.

iwannabeanimagineer
11-10-2003, 03:29 PM
I like all the ideas I've heard so far, and I suspect some of you of bugging my house and listening in on my ideas. In any case, a few additional ideas:

1. Some form of forward-looking transportation between DCA and DL where you can actually get off in DCA. Of course, they'll have to have another pair of gates, but I'm sure guests won't mind.;)

2. A better show or several better shows at the Toontown Stage (or Fantasyland Stage or whatever they are calling Videopolis now).

3. Something better to replace Snow White's Scary Adventures. Maybe a Sleeping Beauty dark ride to replace the apparently abandoned walk-through. And something better to replace the old Sleeping Beauty walk-through. Has ADA killed it for good?

iwannabeanimagineer
11-10-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by wood_is_mine
I've never seen this "attraction", but my Mom says that there used to be a really good restaraunt at or near theColumbia. It was called Chicken of the Sea and you could get really great tuna sandwiches.

I believe you're referring to Captain Hook's Galley, sponsored (at least at one time) by Chicken of the Sea. Everybody I knew just called it "The Tuna Boat". It sat in a little lagoon connected to the Storybookland Canals about where the Dumbo band organ sits now. It was accompanied by Skull Rock, on the "back side" of Monstro. There were walkways around the lagoon and Skull Rock connected to the Galley's gangplanks. From what I remember, the menu was pretty lame: tuna sandwiches, tuna salad, etc.

One "urban legend" I'd like to find out about: I've heard that Captain Hook's Galley was dismantled and re-built inside the Peter Pan ride, but the boat near the end of Peter Pan seems too small to be the old Galley. Does anyone know for sure?