PDA

View Full Version : Merch annoyance - 60th ... or not

olegc
06-30-2015, 09:58 PM
OK - so this is a rant - but I wanted to share my disappointment with Disney Merch. At the 60th Anniversary special event on May 22nd they added some of the 60th merch going on sale that weekend - hats, mugs, etc. Yes, in the park too, but you could get it here with your other art so its one purchase. Well, one of the items was Kevin Kidney and Tim O'Day's book - A Celebration of New Magic and Fond Memories of the DisneylandŽ Resort. Tim O'Day was there to sign them and when we asked if this had any 60th commemorative ties in it - the explanation the merch management (and Tim's "hint" during signing) that no, there was not any specific 60th content.

Well, today they announced a special signing with added 60th content - essentially duplicating what is done in the DVD world. I would gladly have bought another version with the new 60th content - BUT - the previous version has the personal message from TIm O'Day - and I did not necessarily want to have two copies in the house.

Frustrating... and why for other Park merch I have not gone out and picked up a lot of items - because I can tell there will be more and maybe even something similar but with a slight variation.
http://disneyparksmerchandise.com/events/a-celebration-of-new-magic-and-fond-memories-book-signing-with-tim-oday-and-kevin-kidney/?instance_id=&CMP=SOC-DPFY15Q3July2015MerchandiseEventsattheDisneylandRe sort0007Info Here...

goalieump413
07-01-2015, 07:02 AM
Yeah, that really sucks. It could have been that the existing inventory wasn't published with the 60th content yet, so they wanted to clear it out first. It does sound like you bought a unique item though, so be happy with that. Did Tim note something unique about no 60th content when he signed?

For me, since I don't live local to DLR, I play it pretty conservative. Mugs, shirts, and the occasional small item are all I care to lug into my luggage. I'll be on the lookout for other 60th books though, so thank you for the link.

TTFN92
07-02-2015, 02:52 PM
I was disappointed that they didn't have a 60th postcard. They had one that said 2015 but I was not a fan. A postcard seems like something easy to have. Disneyland used to have the best postcards. Sure do miss those.

KarenW2
07-02-2015, 11:20 PM
My hubby and I were also at the merch event and bought the book. I was surprised to find so much on DCA in it to begin with, because I thought it was supposed to be a 60th Anniversary merch event, so of course, the book would be on the 60th!

Since it wasn't listed with any of the mailings we got before the event, I only got a very brief chance to look at a copy, because the CMs working the purchase table were pushy and trying to make us buy things fast.

We only went the 2nd day, so we could be there for Tim's panel discussion, and our copy of the book didn't get signed, since Tim didn't show up for the signing time. Hopefully, that will be better for us, since I want to return the first book and get the new one instead!

olegc
07-03-2015, 04:28 PM
^i hope it works out for you. I went back and looked closely at what was offered in the 60th edition - and its not enough for me to consider getting another one. The items provided don't plus it enough for me.