PDA

View Full Version : Mickey's Halloween Treat

PirateoftheCaribbean
09-16-2001, 06:20 AM
Could anyone describe to me what this event was like, and what they did? I've always wished I would have gone to that. Thanks.

Nigel2
09-17-2001, 10:05 PM
They actually did a segment on it when they use to have disneyland inside out. They were showing those cool carved pumpkins, and had the father from Fresh Prince of Bel Air getting candy. It use to have a ghost ride on the columbia and it was "attacked" (I belive) by ghosts. They had lights on the castle that would make it look like it was falling apart, a witch would do the tikerbell thing, Mickey's Toon Town was closed along with Tomorowland. You also could'nt wear masks. I know I am missing alot of info, but thats a good start.

Upanova
09-25-2001, 11:18 AM
You also got to go to the park in full costume, if you liked. No masks though, but makeup was allowed. The Haunted Mansion was totally lit up, pumpkins and a Ghost band played outside. They also had costumed characters in both Pirates and Mansion. Hmmm, they also had wonderful light displays on all the walkways, and trick or treat locations. You could pick up special promotional pins, and goodies too.

Jungle Cruise had one of their first "games," this was for 101 Dalmations at the time I went. You got to play "Spot the Puppy!" Hundreds of stuffed dalmation puppies were all over the Jungle Cruise, in the mouths of elephants, and dangling from the trees in all sorts of funny poses. It was great. Also the CM skipper's redition of the word..."Puppppppies" in a droning sort of voice was a highlight of the evening. "Pupppppieeeeeessss" It was awesome!

Just the fact that you could go to Disneyland in an acutal costume was excieting in itself! The crowds were very light, and it was a riot to go through the queues and joke with others about you costume. Even joked with some guys in drag. Lots of pirates---I guess that was a favorite costume with the locals that year. Lots of kids dressed up as Disney characters too of course. Got to meet up with Cruella DeVil who asked us if we would like to be in one of her fashion shows, as a coat! A few friends of mine and myself were dressed as felines from the broadway show, "CATS." Also got to meet Maynard for the first time at the Mansion that year, it was 1996.

I'm so sorry they stopped doing the Treat. It was simply one of the best times I've ever had at Disneyland! Truly a great evening! I wish it had been more popular, because I have a ton of costumes that I would have loved to try out in public, and since most people don't dress for Halloween, finding a public event to go to is a chore. I wish more people would find the Halloween spirit and dress up more. Now trying to find a Halloween costume event is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Disneyland really had something going for the dress up crowd. They could have turned it into a real ongoing freak show, as Knotts won't allow costumes either. *Sigh* even this year, I have a cool new Sally costume from NBC and I can't find a place to go to party in it!

Wish it would come back....

Upanova
:cool:

Cadaverous Pallor
09-25-2001, 01:32 PM
I am so sad that I never got to participate in this! :crying: I didn't have an AP back then, and I didn't even know about it. Did they used to advertise it, and I never noticed?

I'll bet that some hooligans messed it up for everyone. Anyone have any clue why they don't do this anymore?

Nigel2
09-25-2001, 02:41 PM
Speaking of the Jungle cruise puppy hunt (where's my shot gun:D) They did a mighty ducks version with tons of stuffed wild wings, but I don't think it was halloween at the time.

Morrigoon
09-25-2001, 03:38 PM
Well, with october nearly upon us, obviously we arent' going to get it this year :( One would hope, with the internet buzz it gets that they would restart it. I *love* the idea of a witch on the tinkerbell line, how cool is that!

Oh, and going to the park in an outrageous costume, that would be cool too.

Sheila
09-25-2001, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
I'll bet that some hooligans messed it up for everyone. Anyone have any clue why they don't do this anymore?

It's my understanding that the powers that be felt that the event was not profitable enough (especially in comparison to the crowds Knotts Berry Farm was pulling in with their Halloween Haunt). Instead, it was decided that DL would "own" Christmas instead. Sigh (especially considering it was the only real place the whole family could go to for Halloween)....

I never got to go to Mickey's Halloween Treat either. :mad:

Maybe some day they'll bring it back?

Wishfully thinking,
Sheila

Upanova
09-26-2001, 07:53 AM
Yeah, it was a great event! Oh, I also forgot, they also had a nightly parade, and kids would be picked from the audience to be in the parade. One of my friends who worked the parade told me it was an utter freak show! I didn't see the parade, but was told that it was a riot.

Actually there didnt appear to be any problems with hooligans in costume either. Everyone was well behaved and most people didn't come in scary, bloody costumes either. Most were dressed as regular Disney characters, kids and adults, and hardly anyone came as a monster.

Also I remember dancing with Jack Pumpkinhead from "Return to Oz" down on Main Street, (I guess he was a fan of "CATS" as we did an inpromtou dance), and we got seranaded by a Monster singing group, (I think they were the Dapper Dans in costume) and that was awesome too.

It's been a couple of years now, and I don't have any hope of the event coming back. If they think it's not profitable, I guess that's it. But I think that is bull since why does Knotts have to "own" Halloween? This event could become more popular as word of mouth gets out about it. Imagine a cool neat place where adults and kids can dress up in their cool costumes, and party safely together. It makes no sense to me why they stopped doing it. Even if they stopped letting folks in with costumes, they could still do it, or like with Knotts letting kids 6-12 in with costumes only.

It was well worth the money spent for the extra ticket, and I wish we could petition it to return for another season....maybe with the Mansion event this year we could expect more Halloween celebrations.

Upanova

Kevin Yee
09-26-2001, 06:32 PM
Actually, I agree with Disney halting all attempts to compete with Knott's on Halloween and instead try to own Christmas. They do a better job of it, and the holiday is somehow more "Disney" anyway, to my mind.

Note, however, that Nightmare Mansion is essentially a Holloween *AND* an Xmas attraction - and they have it open from October onward. That means the holiday season at Disneyland is now October thru mid-January (almost 1/4th of the whole year). More power to 'em.

Nigel2
09-26-2001, 09:45 PM
Doesn't WDW have a Haloween parade also for the treat? I doubt that a hooligan would have paid to come in to cause a problem.

Maleficent0
09-28-2001, 11:16 AM
If it isn't profitable, then why does Walt Disney World still have Halloween events?

I get kind of irritated at the vast differences between DL and WDW. The other one that drives me batty is that I have to pay FULL PRICE for my 3 year olds annual pass, and WDW discounts theirs. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Nigel2
09-28-2001, 11:55 AM
Um...because there aren't 2 parks with better ads for their halloween. Knotts' is so popular that they are known to have hour long waiting pits just to enter the park. Six Flags also has beter entertainment for theirs. I think that a non-scary halloween treat isn't as popular here since the only ones that don't like it scary aren't going there anyway. Plus SFMM goes all out for theirs with full makeup and appliances for everyone that is playing a zombie, goblin...