PDA

View Full Version : Peter Pan AP Preview

olegc
06-28-2015, 08:25 AM
posted on the Disneyland Annual Passholder facebook page...

Peter Pan’s Flight is ready to return from refurbishment with some “new magic,” and Annual Passholders are invited to be among the first to re-experience the beloved Fantasyland classic during a special AP opportunity on the following days:

Dates: Monday, June 29 and Tuesday, June 30
Hours: 8:00 am – 7:00 pm

A valid Annual Passport must be presented at the attraction entrance for entry during these special AP hours (valid photo ID may also be required). May involve long wait periods. Check your Passport blockout dates as Park admission is required. Subject to restrictions and change without notice.

cstephens
06-28-2015, 09:44 AM
I'm amused at the comments.

TTFN92
06-28-2015, 03:09 PM
I'm amused at the comments.

What are some of the comments?

Hopefully with the AP previews it will lessen some of the crowds trying to ride on Wed.

AVP
06-28-2015, 07:08 PM
What are some of the comments?

Hopefully with the AP previews it will lessen some of the crowds trying to ride on Wed.

If she's talking about the comments on the AP Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/DisneylandPassholders/photos/a.283932128300337.86424.222145784478972/1153394708020737/?type=1&comment_tracking={%22tn%22%3A%22O%22}), it's a mix of "why wasn't there more notice" and "it's not fair because my pass is blocked out that day."

AJDerrick
06-29-2015, 07:39 AM
Anyone going to give it a try today? I'd love to hear what you think!

tridj
06-29-2015, 07:53 AM
Line is posted 40 minutes. At least it's moving.

AJDerrick
06-29-2015, 08:02 AM
That doesn't sound much worse than a normal morning an hour after opening.

olegc
06-29-2015, 11:47 AM
i won't make it out there until 430pm. I would assume the line to be long by then.

AVP
06-29-2015, 01:36 PM
We're working on posting our video from this morning. I'm going to go out on a limb and say at least one effect wasn't working.

AVP

TTFN92
06-29-2015, 03:22 PM
My SIL just said the line is 70 min. at 4:00 on Mon afternoon.

Gone2Disneyland
06-29-2015, 07:30 PM
A friend and I made out there this morning. Got in line just before 9am and made it through the line in about 40 minutes. The sign was marked 50. Rode it a second time right after; sign was still marked 50 but we got through in 35 minutes.

It's very much the same kind lighting and animated projection effects that were added to Alice in Wonderland to enhance the experience, and we loved it! The ride was moving to fast for me to get any decent photos, but here's a picture of the line when we got there in the morning, which imo wasn't very long at all all things considered. I'd love to ride it again when it opens to the public, but that queue is always too darn long. So it's gonna be a long while before I see myself riding it again. I'm glad I got this early chance.

https://instagram.com/p/4hN8fWtfWO/

goalieump413
06-30-2015, 06:52 AM
Any enhancements to the sound/music?

olegc
06-30-2015, 11:41 AM
Any enhancements to the sound/music?

i would say yes (based on my experience yesterday). a little clearer, a little louder, better quality. However, I don't think it blows you away. As stated elsewhere its a similar "plus-ing" that Alice got. The sets are all basically the same structure (except the nursery) but where they could upgrade with better video/color/lighting they did.

olegc
07-01-2015, 01:33 PM
So the park's blog posted the Imagineer's review of the new Pan effects...
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/07/behind-the-scenes-of-peter-pans-flight-at-disneyland-park-with-walt-disney-imagineering/

its awesome - but when I rode on the preview it was difficult to see a lot of the movement in places like London or Hook's ship because your own flying Pirate has so much movement of its own you miss the other smaller movements. And - the Darling children were not moving when I rode.

There is so much small active detail and you go by so quickly that it would probably take a few rides to catch it all. Of course - with the line so long it will be some time before it all happens.

I hope everyone enjoys it - its a great testament to keeping in touch with the historical side but adding cool features to update it.

goalieump413
07-02-2015, 06:23 AM
...There is so much small active detail and you go by so quickly that it would probably take a few rides to catch it all...

Man, you're right. They plussed this ride a lot. Nice small details. Walt would be proud.

But yeah, with the constant movement in the dark, it will definitely take two or more times through the ride to catch all the details. Maybe we'll go a second time at night so our eyes don't have to transition from bright light to darkness.

TTFN92
07-02-2015, 02:47 PM
We rode this first thing on July 1st. We waited 20 minutes. I thought it looked good but I wasn't as impressed as I was with Alice's improvements. I would have been really disappointed if we'd have waited 2 hrs for it. The nursery scene has always been the best scene to me and needed the least amount of change but got the most. I wish they would have done some more to the later scenes. There's an effect to the ship at the end that needs to go faster because we missed most of it and I think it's an important one. You shouldn't have to ride it over and over to see those kind of effects. Details, yes, but main effects, no. It was good to see it look fresh. We even saw they put in new carpet, in fact, my kids pointed that out. My favorite effect was to Big Ben :).

cstephens
07-06-2015, 11:36 AM
We went on it on Saturday. It's very much underwhelming after the amazing job they did on Alice. I heard about the Big Ben stuff after the fact, so I'll have to look for that next time.

Blacksheep Uncle
07-06-2015, 05:02 PM
I rode it Sunday....I enjoyed the updates, but I think maybe some of us were expecting too much after the big surprise of how well Alice was done...

MadasaHatter
07-07-2015, 08:48 AM
Keep in mind when they say REFURBISH they may be doing A LOT of things that are not sexy.....fixing computers, fixing the tracks, re-painting and cleaning what is already there. Also keep in mind that ALICE is at least 3 times bigger than Peter Pan and a heckuva lot roomier as it was built later and free standing. The foot print of TOAD, SNOW, PINOKE and PAN are all very very small and wind around a lot. When they closed it down I thought to myself...."It's not like they are going to gut it and start over or expand..."

Looking forward to riding it again and discovering all the new stuff measure by measure...but of course I am mad...

JLM
07-07-2015, 10:47 AM
It would be nice if Toad, Snow White and Pinocchio each got the same treatment. Here are a few ideas for each ride:

Mr. Toad:
- Replace some of the cutout character with animated projections. The judge and Mr. Winky are good candidates.
- Replace the strobe light in the explosion room with projected animated explosions that are synchonized with the sound
- Show an animated train comming at you in the train tunnel
- Project flames and little demons on the rocks in hell
- Update the demon dragon animitronic

Snow White:
- Add the dwarves in the mining cave
- Project bats, ravens and clouds in the forest area
- Dripping water and mist effectes in the dungeon
- Replace the holographic witch with a projection
- Add an projection showing the witch falling at the end

Pinocchio:
- Show a snippet of "There are no strings on me"
- Replace some of the Jiminy Cricket figures with projections
- Add a big, animated Monstro
- Add something to the clock room, anything really

Don't touch the canal boats of Casey Jr. though. The simplicity of these attractions is where they have their charm.

olegc
07-07-2015, 10:57 AM
It would be nice if Toad, Snow White and Pinocchio each got the same treatment. Here are a few ideas for each ride:.

I thought that was the unannounced plan all along - plus all the Fantasyland rides over the course of the 60th anniversary.

candles71
07-07-2015, 03:48 PM
Also keep in mind that ALICE is at least 3 times bigger than Peter Pan and a heckuva lot roomier as it was built later and free standing. The foot print of TOAD, SNOW, PINOKE and PAN are all very very small and wind around a lot.
Having been walked off Alice, it is actually all one building, including the Alice bathrooms. Came through a door and boom extra pirate ships and caterpillars parked. ;)

NickP
07-10-2015, 11:55 AM
My sister is down at the park today, said the line for Peter Pan filled up quickly and the wait time was 70 minutes!
So when I am there next week I am thinking this should be our first stop. Or we have Magic Morning next Saturday and I know fantasyland is open to MM but is there an exclusion for PP?

candles71
07-10-2015, 04:34 PM
No exclusions. Fantasyland and Tomorrowland are open for MM.

NickP
07-10-2015, 07:56 PM
Thanks candles