PDA

View Full Version : $1 billion ain't what it used to be, but what could Disney do with it?

Pages : [1] 2

corona
06-25-2015, 12:07 PM
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/disney-668511-city-anaheim.html

Knowledgeable and observant readers will note that the claim "No Disney park in the world currently has an admission’s tax." is simply false.

currence
06-25-2015, 01:23 PM
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/disney-668511-city-anaheim.html

Knowledgeable and observant readers will note that the claim "No Disney park in the world currently has an admission’s tax." is simply false.

Yes, they should have said local admission's tax. I do think it would be different if CA was considering imposing an admissions tax vs. just Anaheim.

olegc
06-25-2015, 01:28 PM
well they're already committing to new parking, road improvements, etc. so that eats into the 1B. and they also did not say whether its dland or dca. Rumors about about the space behind/between Tower of Terror and Carsland, and the every-popular behindtheberm/infrontoftheberm discussions for things at DL. Think of this - if they moved to new parking and facilities, and got a new corp building out of it - they could really expand backstage - but then management would not be on site as much.

lots of ideas... we shall have to wait and see.

corona
06-28-2015, 03:02 PM
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/disney-668812-disneyland-attractions.html

Mowsefan
06-29-2015, 03:27 PM
There are a lot of things I would like to see added to the resort.
1. More parking.
2. Connect the all of the parking lots and the theme parks with the Monorail - it works great in Florida (it could use some expansion there also) why not utilize this transportation system of the 'future' here to its fullest extent?
3. A water park as good as or better than the 2 in Florida. Several of the other Southern California theme parks have 1 or more water parks, so why is Disney lagging behind?
4. Add some "Utilidoors" - the underground tunnels Cast Members can use to get to their assigned areas. Indiana Jones or Pirate's costumes on Main Street U.S.A. look SO out of place.
5. More attractions in under utilized spaces. I'd love to see the Skyway return, it was always one of my favorites.
6. Update Fantasmic - small changes have been made over the years, but give it a good overhaul. Go back to the bigger, brighter fireworks like they used to have.
7. ?????

bumblebeeonarose
06-29-2015, 07:08 PM
I think the parking would be a given and hopefully those walking bridges. I'm hoping the expansion would also include another new "land" without tearing out too much of the old. The park could use more attractions. I like the idea of connecting things with the Monorail, but I doubt that will happen.

jchamb268
06-30-2015, 08:49 AM
I like the idea of walk ways above the streets and adding some new E-Tickets.

olegc
06-30-2015, 11:48 AM
OC regoster posted an add-on about parking
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/disney-669308-parking-years.html
AVP was quoted in the piece.
The two parcels of land they own are pretty much behind the carousel inn - thus furthering the idea of a walkway path from those "parking" areas (though I think they'd have to purchase the hotel butting against the carousel to be able to do demolition.

Disneylandfan85
07-01-2015, 09:03 AM
There are a lot of things I would like to see added to the resort.
1. More parking.
2. Connect the all of the parking lots and the theme parks with the Monorail - it works great in Florida (it could use some expansion there also) why not utilize this transportation system of the 'future' here to its fullest extent?
3. A water park as good as or better than the 2 in Florida. Several of the other Southern California theme parks have 1 or more water parks, so why is Disney lagging behind?
4. Add some "Utilidoors" - the underground tunnels Cast Members can use to get to their assigned areas. Indiana Jones or Pirate's costumes on Main Street U.S.A. look SO out of place.
5. More attractions in under utilized spaces. I'd love to see the Skyway return, it was always one of my favorites.
6. Update Fantasmic - small changes have been made over the years, but give it a good overhaul. Go back to the bigger, brighter fireworks like they used to have.
7. ?????

I sincerely hope that a Star Wars land does not ruin Toontown.

NickP
07-02-2015, 09:28 AM
I sincerely hope that a Star Wars land does not ruin Toontown.

I think one of the previous articles linked squashed that. The staging area for the fireworks is behind Toontown, which closes at night due to this. No way a highly popular and heavily trafficked new area for a potential Star Wars land is going to be shut down at night.

Disneylandfan85
07-02-2015, 10:20 AM
I think one of the previous articles linked squashed that. The staging area for the fireworks is behind Toontown, which closes at night due to this. No way a highly popular and heavily trafficked new area for a potential Star Wars land is going to be shut down at night.

You'd think so, wouldn't you? So would I.

However, there are some on this website and plenty others who state that A) the fireworks can likely be moved someplace else (where, though, I don't know) and/or B) the Star Wars land in question can be covered over in a gigantic show building to protect it from fireworks fallout and, by extension, the elements, and thus be able to stay open while the fireworks are on. Although that last one is theoretically doable, I really don't know how practical it is. :|

olegc
07-02-2015, 10:26 AM
You'd think so, wouldn't you? So would I.

However, there are some on this website and plenty others who state that A) the fireworks can likely be moved someplace else (where, though, I don't know) and/or B) the Star Wars land in question can be covered over in a gigantic show building to protect it from fireworks fallout and, by extension, the elements, and thus be able to stay open while the fireworks are on. Although that last one is theoretically doable, I really don't know how practical it is. :|

The latter is somewhat possible - but it depends on what they want to insert. At Tokyo DIsneySea, the Mermaid area is one large show building with attractions, food, and merch locations inside - BUT - all of the attractions are smaller and intended as smaller builds (think Jumping Jellyfish, and others). nothing major that would require a significant build like Indy or Carsland (at least in my opinion from pics I have seen).

Could they do it, sure. Many across the net keep positioning this as "Disney would do it for sure (toontown) because its Star Wars!" There is a bigger force in the universe - and that's the OVERALL dollars they make on park visits and related spend, not just on one theme. Anything is possible from Disney given money, time, and diligence. We'll just have to see and folks need to take the tunnel-vision out and understand its more than just Star Wars.

Disneylandfan85
07-02-2015, 03:35 PM
We'll just have to see and folks need to take the tunnel-vision out and understand its more than just Star Wars.

I know what the phrase "tunnel vision" means, but how does it fit in this context?

kisstheradio
07-02-2015, 08:27 PM
I assume he means the folks he's talking about are tunneling in on Star Wars.

Disneylandfan85
07-02-2015, 08:53 PM

What these people need to realize is that Iger intended that anything Star Wars will emphasize the new trilogy coming out. Yet when they discuss the possibility of putting it in the parks, they keep mentioning something from the previous six films, usually Tatooine and its Mos Eisley Cantina and how wonderful it would be to go there.

olegc
07-03-2015, 04:26 PM
I know what the phrase "tunnel vision" means, but how does it fit in this context?

sorry for getting back late. Yes - it was the fact that folks have tunnel vision on what to expect with the 1B investment. remember - DCAs expansion was around 1B and it was all focused on attractions and park changes. Here, though, they plan to build parking lots and make road improvements around the resort (to ease traffic flow I would guess) and that means a good chunk less than 1B for attractions and changes in the parks.

What these people need to realize is that Iger intended that anything Star Wars will emphasize the new trilogy coming out. Yet when they discuss the possibility of putting it in the parks, they keep mentioning something from the previous six films, usually Tatooine and its Mos Eisley Cantina and how wonderful it would be to go there.

I think that's mostly right - but in my opinion you will still have some nods to iconic elements from the previous stories. Just my opinion. If you focus all on the new you cant really bring in older fans (though to me that's whats going on with Paint the Night - targeting younger fans who mostly know Pixar and new princeses).

Disneylandfan85
07-03-2015, 04:34 PM
sorry for getting back late. Yes - it was the fact that folks have tunnel vision on what to expect with the 1B investment. remember - DCAs expansion was around 1B and it was all focused on attractions and park changes. Here, though, they plan to build parking lots and make road improvements around the resort (to ease traffic flow I would guess) and that means a good chunk less than 1B for attractions and changes in the parks.

This might sound somewhat self-centered of me, but I do hope that they take care of the roads and parking lots before they do anything else in the parks.

Tinker44
07-04-2015, 08:59 AM
This might sound somewhat self-centered of me, but I do hope that they take care of the roads and parking lots before they do anything else in the parks.

Not self-centered at all... I think ensuring the infrastructure is there BEFORE any thematic expansions is just good business. I think a lot of people (myself included) tend towards that tunnel-vision oleg spoke of perhaps due to the way we visit DLR. As for my family, we live in Canada, we fly then bus into the DLR... so we don't have a clue what's going on with roads and parking and so on. We merrily skip our way down Harbor to Esplanade and in we go! If I wasn't participating on a board like this, it really wouldn't dawn on me that the supporting infrastructure is becoming outdated and insufficient for demand.

That being said... there is a lot that Disney can do inside the parks to enhance what's already there. Would I like to see an overhaul of Tomorrowland? You bet I would! Do I want to see it become StarWars Land... meh, 50/50. I would be WAY happier seeing something built that would connect the end of Critter Country with ToonTown so that there would be another option for traffic flow in the upper reaches of the park. It's frustrating sometimes with the crowding in CC/NOS, especially once you factor Fantasmic in. It's also fairly frustrating at the junction between IASW and TT heading into Fantasyland. It's so narrow and SO over-congested particularly after a parade where everyone's trying to get somewhere and there is absolutely no where to move!

DCA... she's just fine, she's beautiful and she's Wiiiiiddddee open as far as traffic flow. My MIL uses a wheelchair for much of her visit and she is much MUCH happier over in DCA. i think the recent esthetic changes have been good ones, and other than replacing Luigis Flying tires, I think that it has the right blend of attractions and esthetics blended with wonderful accessibility. Other than a bit of fine-tuning between the end of Paradise Pier and the beginning of Golden State Grizzly River... I think that the DCA expansion met all its targets.

It will be really interesting to see what DLR does with this proposal...

oregontraveler
07-04-2015, 09:31 AM

I agree with Tinker44 assessments as well. Disney needs to build a vertical parking garage at the Pumbaa lot. And now that they have some extra real estate next to it. Maybe tie it into an I-5 south flyover, that would be great too. I'm anxious to see what they do with the Carousel Inn property. I think having a pedestrian bridge there at Harbor is a great idea. Might help the vehicle traffic flow better. And then there is the Toy Story lot. Maybe someday, that will become a 3rd gate or water park. The fact that Disney is willing to spend the billion is no sure thing we will see all of that go towards inside the park improvements.

Disneylandfan85
07-04-2015, 01:31 PM
Well, you all are right: I really do hope that they drop their tunnel vision mentality. I hope that park management does not share in this mentality.

sjhanksaz
07-06-2015, 01:56 PM
I hope they build more shops or food stops.

Just kidding

Starwarsland please!!!!

bumblebeeonarose
07-07-2015, 02:31 PM
I hope they build more shops or food stops.

99% sure they will, LOL!

sjhanksaz
07-07-2015, 06:21 PM
99% sure they will, LOL!

Can't wait to spend my money there too

olegc
07-16-2015, 02:41 PM
@DLThings posted an excerpt from a City project planning doc - or something of that nature - that showed Disneyland spending over $600,000 on a Marvel merchandise location in the Innoventions bldg. Well, at least one item is confirmed - selling more stuff.

bumblebeeonarose
07-17-2015, 01:29 PM
@DLThings posted an excerpt from a City project planning doc - or something of that nature - that showed Disneyland spending over $600,000 on a Marvel merchandise location in the Innoventions bldg. Well, at least one item is confirmed - selling more stuff.

That probably doesn't count in the 1Billion since that project is already underway. I was under the impression it was an additional 1Billion that was not yet announced/planned. I would think the current Innoventions project wouldn't count.