PDA

View Full Version : DCA's Surfin' Santa

cryan71
11-07-2003, 08:11 AM
Looks like they are going to have Santa as a surfer at DCA. Did they do this last year? Sounds sooooo anti-Christmas!

Cadaverous Pallor
11-07-2003, 09:20 AM
Disclaimer: I'm not a Christian and do not celebrate Christmas.

I actually like the idea. Celebrating a holiday in Southern California with fake snow and sleighs makes no sense to me. :confused:

jackyb
11-07-2003, 09:50 AM
Last year the Santa was dressed in more of a rustic style apparel. I loved the look. :)

Wizard69
11-09-2003, 08:10 AM
It's called theming. Since the sun plaza is a beach theme, they themed santa as if he were coming to California to enjoy the beach and have his own beach party blast.

DisneyFan25863
11-09-2003, 08:31 AM
I can just see some guy dressed up as Santa on Paridise Pier with a big glob of sunscreen on his nose, sunglasses, and a martini, gettin a suntan :fez:

EandCDad
11-09-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
Disclaimer: I'm not a Christian and do not celebrate Christmas.

Some Christians don't like the idea of Santa Claus at all, so you're opinion about it is as valid as anyones. I like the idea that througout the resort you can see different types of Santas. I did like seeing the "outdoorsy" Santa the last few years, but "beach" Santa might be fun.

lisap
11-09-2003, 10:18 AM
I think the Grand Californian's Santa has the coolest outfit--if I remember correctly, it's a dark burgandy plushy color. Rich, baby.

tod
11-09-2003, 10:56 AM
When you consider that the actual reason for Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Jesus, one could argue that anything besides a man, a woman, a baby, a stable, a big star and three wise men is "anti-Christmas."

Not that I'm arguing that, mind you: the Macy*s Parade and the Coca-Cola ads that defined what "Santa" looks like and the decorated trees and the gifts and the music (Find a mention of Christmas in "Jingle Bells," I dare you. And let's not forget that one of the most loved Christmas songs, "White Christmas," was written by Irving Berlin, and I'll bet he didn't celebrate Christmas either.) say "Christmas" to me much more than what I hear in church. Call it a cultural thing.

But to call a surfer Santa "anti-Christmas" is world-class unclear on the concept. Santa -- and his buddies Father Christmas, Kris Kringle, Sinter Klaas, that whole gang -- is not what Christmas is about.

--T
:fez:

TP2000
11-09-2003, 12:00 PM
I consider myself to be a Mall Christian; meaning I haven't been to church in years and quite frankly think the whole organized religion thing is just a tad overblown nowadays, but I love Easter egg hunts and singing Christmas carols and big overdone Christmas displays at department stores. And Disneyland at Christmastime is just fantastic!

That said, I thought the "Surfin' Santa" thing was very clever and cute. It looks to me like they spent a lot more money on it this year, and all of this stuff was designed and built specifically for DCA. It is much more done up than the last two years at DCA, and it's actually themed to the Park, which is something they shyed away from since the place opened in '01.

Plus, ANYTHING that dresses up that charmless and sad looking DCA Entrance Plaza is a good thing. They could install cardboard displays from local 4-H Clubs and it would make that entrance plaza look better. It's just an ugly and meaningless entrance to a supposedly "world class" theme park, and it needs all the decorations it can get.

I think Surfin' Santa and all of his accompanying decorations and set pieces are a big improvement for that DCA area, and a clever and different way to celebrate the season. I bet the tourists love it.

Wizard69
11-09-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by TP2000
That said, I thought the "Surfin' Santa" thing was very clever and cute. It looks to me like they spent a lot more money on it this year, and all of this stuff was designed and built specifically for DCA. It is much more done up than the last two years at DCA, and it's actually themed to the Park, which is something they shyed away from since the place opened in '01.

I think Surfin' Santa and all of his accompanying decorations and set pieces are a big improvement for that DCA area, and a clever and different way to celebrate the season. I bet the tourists love it. [/B]

Yesterday, the Sun Plaza was super crowded and they were loving Santa.

Cadaverous Pallor
11-09-2003, 09:18 PM
We visited Santa at DCA briefly.

I really liked the setup. A beach theme with sand in the planters, surfboards, beach chairs, etc. A faux-sand castle, a "sleigh" which looked like part of a classic car, an awning covered hangout, beach ball ornaments....very cute. Santa himself wore a surfer shirt but there was no doubting it was him. :) Other characters were hanging out there as well.

The only thing I could do without was the lifeguard reindeers....one of which was just a little too reminiscent of Baywatch.....a reindeer with breasts is, well, creepy. :|

sleepyjeff
11-09-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
We visited Santa at DCA briefly.

The only thing I could do without was the lifeguard reindeers....one of which was just a little too reminiscent of Baywatch.....a reindeer with breasts is, well, creepy. :|

Unless of course it was Vixen;)

gliterrboy
11-09-2003, 09:53 PM
I think the several different santas is really awesome! The surfer santa at DCA is perfect theming. And there will still be the dark burgundy Santa at the grand californian and traditional red & white santa at DL!!! The DL and hotel Santas start on Nov. 27th! YEAH!

cryan71
11-10-2003, 08:37 AM
What about Goofy Claus in Toon Town?

hbquikcomjamesl
11-10-2003, 03:51 PM
Looks like they are going to have Santa as a surfer at DCA. Did they do this last year? Sounds sooooo anti-Christmas!Tell that to all the greeting card artists, cartoonists, &c. who've done pictures of "Santa at the beach" for years.

Not my cup of tea, but then, neither is the beach. (And to me, a hotel without a swimming pool is sort of like a fish without a bicycle.)