PDA

View Full Version : Old D'land Slides and Walt's original Alice toons (1920's) at Disney Concert Hall!

Mort
11-06-2003, 10:08 PM
It usually takes an act of God for me to jump out of lurk mode, and I think the following nearly qualifies as such. On Thursday, Nov 20, there are two special shows at REDCAT, the small perfomance space in the back of Walt Disney Concert Hall in downtown LA.

At 7:30 there will be a showing of over 10 of the Alice/Oswald the Rabbit cartoons Walt made in the 1920's while living in Kansas and then later in LA. Virginia Davis, who played Alice in these cartoons and is now 84, will be in attendance and will answer questions. Muscial accompaniment will be provided by Alexander Rannie playing the REDCAT Steinway piano.

Cost: $10!

After that show, at 10:00 pm, Charles Phoenix will host a retro slide-show, multi-media performance that will, if not exclusively focus on, most certainly contain numerous images of D'land and other Disney forms of entertainment from the '50s - 70s. I have seen productions of his in the past and the combination of his love of the subject matter and sly wit makes for a wonderful evening.

Cost: $10!

To learn more about both events and to order tickets, go to:

http://redcatweb.org/season/film/independentlosangeles.html

To learn more about Charles Phoenix and his slide show 'histo-tainment' go to:

http://www.godblessamericana.com/

Going back to lurk mode.

- Mort

Morrigoon
11-07-2003, 12:18 AM
Woo!

jiminycesq
11-07-2003, 10:51 AM
I would love to attend, but similar to many of the AMPAS and ASIFA and Cinematheque events, I cannot, since they insist on holding these events on weeknights. It's great for those who live nearby or who dont have to work on weekdays, but when they wonder where the audience is, most cannot attend wonderful screenings etc. that would require getting home at midnight or later on a weeknight.

Could you please post a report and tell us how wonderful it was? And if you get a chance, sneak in a suggestion at the event that they consider weekend scheduling. Thanks and enjoy!

TP2000
11-07-2003, 01:35 PM
Mort, thank you for delurking just long enough to tip us all off to this! I owe you one!

I purchased two tickets to the Charles Phoenix slide show at 10:00pm, and I'm really looking forward to it! I've heard about this guy, and I'd always wanted to go to one of his shows. I simply can't wait.

And I'm one who prefers things on weekday nights because the traffic, crowds and weekend panic aren't a factor. I've made plans to drive up from OC after most of the traffic around 7:00pm, have a light supper and drinks downtown before heading over to Walt Disney Hall for the late night show, and that's something that would be almost logistically impossible on a Saturday night.

Thanks again Mort!

Kerrie
11-09-2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Mort

At 7:30 there will be a showing of over 10 of the Alice/Oswald the Rabbit cartoons Walt made in the 1920's while living in Kansas and then later in LA. Virginia Davis, who played Alice in these cartoons and is now 84, will be in attendance and will answer questions. Muscial accompaniment will be provided by Alexander Rannie playing the REDCAT Steinway piano.

- Mort [/B]

I saw a similar program earlier this year at the San Francisco Silent Film Festival, held at the beautiful Castro Theater (Theatre?). It was wonderful to see those old cartoons, especially one in which Walt is instructing Virginia Davis on how to react in the cartoons. I was fascinated to see the Oswald cartoons as well! We also had live piano accompaniment. Virginia answered questions afterward, as well as the authors of "Walt in Wonderland: The Silent Films of Walt Disney." There was a book signing also. I had one of the authors (J.B. Kaufman) and Virginia Davis sign my copy of "Walt in Wonderland" (which was for sale in the theater lobby). It was such a great day! If anyone gets a chance, I reccomend going to see the old cartoons and Virginia Davis -- she is a lovely lady. Diane Disney Miller and Bob Iwerks were in the audience and acknowledged by the moderator (it was supposed to be Leonard Maltin, but he had a family emergency at the last minute and could not attend). I'm pretty sure Mr. Iwerks' first name is Bob, but I apologize if that is wrong!
Anyway. I was in Disney heaven all day long!