PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland logo!

Pages : [1] 2

merlinjones
11-06-2003, 11:25 AM
I love to see the original Disneyland logo being used again - both on the advertising for Haunted Mansion Holiday and some of the new billboards for Xmas promotions. But I was dismayed to see that awful DCA era corporate Disneyland Resort logo used on the new Xmas TV ad and in today's LA Times ad.

Please, Matt, use the classic, one and only Disneyland logo with the old English lettering excusively. This logo says Magic Kingdom to everyone of all ages. The new one evokes memories of Disney Stores and catalogs and product lines and channels and money filching things that are to be avoided.

Keep Disneyland separate in the minds of the public as the rest of the corporate ship sinks. Use the classic logo!

tod
11-06-2003, 01:31 PM
I also noticed that the old logo is showing up on T-shirts and other wearing apparel.

I, for one, am going to support this by buying some things with the old logo on them...

--T

sambo
11-06-2003, 08:46 PM
Yeah, the new "resort" logo screams PAUL PRESSLER!!

I have associated all the shoddy maintenance, bad attraction planning, and DL conversion to a mall with that new logo. I hope it rots in the deepest recesses of Injun Joes Cave.

Give me the classic "Disneyland" anytime... that one has sentimental meaning to me and my family. The new one is as cold as a bad powerpoint presentation.

Germboy
11-07-2003, 02:11 AM
I have been saying this over and over to friends of mine...bring back the old logo! It was used for DECADES and defines Disneyland. I'm not surprised, however, by a company that was so out of touch with their roots, deciding to ditch it. (I wouldn't put anything past them...) The only place I ever really saw the old logo was on the side of the Disneyland Hotel, while sitting on the tram on the way into the park. I didn't realize they started bringing it back. That would be FANTASTIC news!

Now...next thing would be to restore a "voice of Disneyland" a la Jack Wagner, announcing park events, emergency and loading spiels, etc. The park lost something when his voice disappeared. I must say that I am shocked that I have not read a single statement by any MP'er about this. As far as I know, I'm the only one who has mentioned this on these threads. Does no one remember?

CONTINUE TO BRING BACK WHAT GAVE THE COMPANY ITS STANDING

disneylandia
11-07-2003, 05:21 AM
Amen Gemboy! One of the things I love about Disneyland CDs is the spiels, many of them voiced by Jack Wagner. He has a very soothing voice, and I agree they should have another "voice".

merlinjones
11-07-2003, 05:59 AM
New Disney(brand)-land Resort logo says Eisner/Pressler-land. Home of high prices, cheap new attractions, closures, ugly colors, cheap merchandise and promotional gimmicks. Corporate branding. Rebranding. Profit margins. Tomorrowland 98, Disney's California Adventure, Light Magic. Share the magic and assorted forced sentimental propoganda/jingles. Ralph's ticketing schemes. McDonald's. Kmart.

Traditional Disneyland logo says Walt Disney-land! Magic Kingdom, the Happiest Place on Earth. Home of escapist pleasures and amazing, immersive themed entertainment. Quality. History. Icons. Myth. Magic. Animation. Imagineering. Fantasyland, Tomorrowland, Adventureland, Frontierland, Main Street USA. TinkerBell. Fireworks. Mickey, Donald and Goofy. The Wonderful World of Color.

Germboy
11-07-2003, 09:23 AM
Disney-brand-land!! HA HA HA HA HA HA I LOVE IT!!!:D :D :D

What brand of theme park do you fancy today? The sell-out or the rip-off variety? HA HA HA

kwlundy
11-07-2003, 09:38 AM
I find it amazing how so many people want to live in the past...

merlinjones
11-07-2003, 11:17 AM
>>I find it amazing how so many people want to live in the past...<<

The wonderful worlds of Walt Disney ARE in the past. The cheezy global Disney brand marketing co. IS the future. Is there any real choice between the two?

Germboy
11-07-2003, 03:05 PM
When Walt opened the park, it was based on the body of work that came from the past. Should he have left Mickey Mouse out of the equation because he created Mickey 30 years before?

Why is keeping a company's logo "living in the past"? Why is having a world-class narrator "living in the past"?

Nobody would be talking about "the past" if the Disney Company would live up to the standards that placed it on the pedestal it now enjoys.

I find it amazing how so many people just don't get it.

dsnylndmom
11-07-2003, 03:29 PM
Amen Germboy! I am sooooo happy to see the classic logo used so much more now. That "says" Disneyland to me not "Disneyland Resort" ya know

tod
11-07-2003, 03:38 PM
Nobody misses that big mound of dirt that they built the Matterhorn on in 1959.

Or the Phantom Boats.

People don't wax nostalgic about that wooden bridge out by the outskirts of Frontierland.

Nobody rejected ride tickets and wanted to go back to the "good old days" of forking out a dime or a quarter for each attraction as you entered.

Practically nobody even remembers the bend in the Jungle Cruise river that they got rid of to build the Indiana Jones Adventure entrance.

I won't speak for anyone else, but I personally reject the "bad"; not the "new."

If you think the modern "Disneyland Resort" logo, with its big fat rock bear and afterthought sketch castle, is better than the old "Disneyland" logo, you have more-than-ample opportunity to buy and wear it. Or the words "Disneyland Resort" instead of "Disneyland." You can even get some stuff that says "Disneyland Resort/Since 1955," which is at best a misstatement and is at worst a corporate lie.

Some of us have rejected that new logo and new phrasing, as you can tell by the resurgence of the old logo -- and the piles of new-logo merchandise at the discount outlets.

--T
waiting for stuff with the classic line-drawing Castle on it.
:fez:

hobo_n
11-07-2003, 04:41 PM
The old logo does not work for people my age(high school). I like the new one better I works for this time. And why live in the pass somethings will chage for the better and some will change for the worse. I we didnt let thing change sometimes we would get bord. We would not have the Yettie on the Matthorn if it was changed. Do you think Walt would let the logo unchanged or the park unchanged.

innerSpaceman
11-07-2003, 04:41 PM
You won't see Coca-Cola ditching the wave or Nike jettisoning the swoosh anytime in the next eon. A recognizable style of lettering or graphic accompanyment that identifies your brand to the world is a priceless thing.

There is nothing old-fashioned about the classic Disneyland lettering. It is neither a modern font or a backwards font. It is, and will remain, a classic font. The fact that the font speaks volumes and is so closely associated with Disneyland is a business tool that most companies would die (or kill) for.

Bringing it back is not a backwards move, but a positive move to correct an obvious business blunder.

Laffite
11-07-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
You won't see Coca-Cola ditching the wave or Nike jettisoning the swoosh anytime in the next eon. A recognizable style of lettering or graphic accompanyment that identifies your brand to the world is a priceless thing.

There is nothing old-fashioned about the classic Disneyland lettering. It is neither a modern font or a backwards font. It is, and will remain, a classic font. The fact that the font speaks volumes and is so closely associated with Disneyland is a business tool that most companies would die (or kill) for.

Bringing it back is not a backwards move, but a positive move to correct an obvious business blunder.

your posts are always so sharp and concise, it actually hurts me to read them :-/

warm regards,
preston

merlinjones
11-07-2003, 05:39 PM
innerSpaceman is my virtual WonderTwin. Well put, Zan.

Germboy
11-07-2003, 05:51 PM
Yettie on the Matthorn?

hobo_n
11-07-2003, 10:10 PM
Several scenes of the Abominable Snowman were added in 1978 sorry:D

SusanP.
11-07-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones

Please, Matt, use the classic, one and only Disneyland logo with the old English lettering excusively. This logo says Magic Kingdom to everyone of all ages.

My son, when he was about 3, pointed at the LA Times one morning and told me he knew what those letters said: Disneyland! Even as a little kid, he understood what that lettering stood for, that it meant something good!

tod
11-08-2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
You won't see Coca-Cola ditching the wave... anytime in the next eon. A recognizable style of lettering or graphic accompanyment that identifies your brand to the world is a priceless thing.

That thing you call "the Wave" is actually called -- get this --the "Dynamic Ribbon Device." It simulates the curve of the classic Coca-Cola bottle. It was adopted relatively recently, in the early '70s if memory serves.

I agree. A similar classic is the Coca-Cola script signature, which has been unchanged since WWII for sure, and probably before that as well. The GE logo (which was alterered almost unnoticeably in the '80s), the Westinghouse W, the Betty Crocker red spoon, Kellogg's script signature, and the Heinz keystone have also stood the test of time.

If Disneyland makes it a policy to go back to the classic logo (which, let's face it, has been re-jiggered several times already, if you look at the ornate D's and Y's in some versions) they can follow the lead of several other entertainment companies that went back to basics after a moment or two of corpoarte insanity, including Warner Bros. (remember that weird "W" they used? At the beginning of Blazing Saddles Mel Brooks ran it, but then replaced it with the classic WB shield), M-G-M (take a look at the beginning of 2001 some time) and Columbia Pictures (goodbye, lady with the torch, hello stylized flame. Goodbye flame, hello lady.)

As that indicted flag-bearer for self indulgence would say, "It's a good thing."

--T
Coca-Cola employee 1987-1990
Graphics observer, 1954-present.

sambo
11-08-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by hobo_n
The old logo does not work for people my age(high school). I like the new one better I works for this time. And why live in the pass somethings will chage for the better and some will change for the worse. I we didnt let thing change sometimes we would get bord. We would not have the Yettie on the Matthorn if it was changed. Do you think Walt would let the logo unchanged or the park unchanged.

Interesting. I had the opportunity to validate your initial statement this afternoon. There were five high school agers in my living room, so I played a game with them. I had versions of the old logo (on lots of my Disneyland memorabillia) and a couple examples of the new DL Resort logo to show them, and I asked which worked for them.

Of the five, only three had been to DL. two had not. None of the five remembered watching Walt or his Disneyland TV show (or World of Color). Their answers were 4 prefered the old lettering logo, and one (who was also one of the two that had never been to DL) prefered the new logo because it had a "cool howling dog" in it. Not scientifically valid - but test the statement yourselves. I think the old logo doesn't work for hobo_n more than people of his or her age...

Also worthy of note - one that preferred the old logo over the new, said that he thought a floating head of Eisner surrounded by smoke and flames like in Wizard of Oz would be better than the old logo. I think he is taking his cynicism to a new level, but I have to admit I can't get that image out of my mind. :eek:

TheatreTech
11-08-2003, 09:37 PM
I like the old one.
So do most of my "Disney" (also high school age) friends.

I think it looks especially good when written straight across on the sweatshirts.
But, I like the new one for certain products...like on movies/dvds.

For me the old one represents Disneyland, and the new one for the company.
(Does that make sense?)

[EDIT]

merlinjones
11-09-2003, 05:43 AM
>>For me the old one represents Disneyland, and the new one for the company. (Does that make sense?)<<

Absolutely. Who wants to go to Eisner's corporate trade show on their day off? (few)... Who wants to go to Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom? (many)

And the image of Eisner as humbug Wizard is too perfect! Thank your friend for that one.

merlinjones
01-02-2004, 10:11 AM
Hey - - I was watching a rebroadcast of the Tournament of Roses Parade last night and at the end they were running the logos of corporate sponsors. To my surprise they ran one for Disneyland Resort - - that was the classic Disneyland logo with "Resort" tastefully spread out below in thin lettering. This is an all new resort logo to my eye and the first time I have seen the classic DL logo used for the entire resort, not just the park! I do hope this is a permanaent change.... it looked great!!!:)

The Mouse Is Back
01-02-2004, 12:00 PM
I wonder if they can buy the old sign back from John Stamos?