PDA

View Full Version : Why our Monorails?

Run4Beanies
11-06-2003, 12:58 AM
I was just thinking, there are 4 Disney Monorails running in the world, why do ours have to be broken? You think there are only 3, no, I say there are 4, Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Tokyo Disneyland, and Bally's/MGM Las Vegas. Disney World sold old monorails to them. So, why do ours have to be broken if 3 other disney monorail systems in the world are working?:rolleyes:

tiggertoo
11-06-2003, 01:21 AM
Well the fact that our Mono are a collage of parts might explain some of it. All four Monos have different drive systems (they are replacing them which is good news for the long term outlook).

Also, word is that Mono blue may be back before red. We shall see.

karl
11-06-2003, 08:34 AM
The WDW and Vegas systems use a different beam dimension and likely have different clearance / station requirements.

Disneyland was sorta "the prototype".

Just to note - the Vegas system is completing a two-year 3-mile expansion phase with nine new Bombardier MVI (Mark VI-based) trainsets. The original two WDW Mark IV's were retired last January.

Good question - what beam dimension was used for the Alwegs in Seattle? Of course these two also will make way for Seattle's 15-mile rebuild.

-- Karl

JosieGirl71
11-06-2003, 12:28 PM
Any idea when monorails will be back up and running? We hope to ride them during our stay in June.

:confused:

fairytalelover
11-06-2003, 12:38 PM
I had heard that the Monorails at DL may be eliminated altogether at some point and used just for hotel transport. I don't know how true this is though.

Personally I am not surprised ours is the one down. I always feel like we are the red headed step child.

sambo
11-06-2003, 08:51 PM
It does seem that way. All the upper Management fawn over Florida giving them whatever they desire and give the original here the cold shoulder. Part of the reason I'll never return to WDW...

sgtdilbert
11-07-2003, 03:48 PM
I think that it's more of a Shelbyville idea anyway...

sleepyjeff
11-08-2003, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by fairytalelover
I had heard that the Monorails at DL may be eliminated altogether at some point and used just for hotel transport. I don't know how true this is though.

Personally I am not surprised ours is the one down. I always feel like we are the red headed step child.

It won't be long and the Monorails will be eliminated altogether/altogether. No hotel transport, no Monorail period.

They will probably limp along thru the 5oth....,but I bet the plans for Tomorrowland 2008' don't include a Monorail.

screamin4ever
11-08-2003, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by sleepyjeff
It won't be long and the Monorails will be eliminated altogether/altogether. No hotel transport, no Monorail period.

They will probably limp along thru the 5oth....,but I bet the plans for Tomorrowland 2008' don't include a Monorail.

I believe that too. They serve no really useful purpose. They aren't required to bring people in to the park. They cost way more to operate than a parking lot tram.

Their days are numbered.

merlinjones
11-08-2003, 10:54 AM
Yes, the monorails do serve a purpose:

We SHOULD be riding monorails from the parking structure to the gate. Cheapskates.

The hotels get alot of business by bragging about monorail service to the park. they need this boost of fun to justify their ridiculous relative costs. People look forward to riding it from the hotel. What else do they have over the Hilton?

And most important of all, the monorails provide visual candy and atmosphere and a sense of history and escapism and sleek futurism. And they are fun to ride. This aesthetic value is WAY too underrated by literalists. It's what Disneyland is all about, commercially. The utopian vision it delivers (or used to).
When DCA opened, I wondered why there were no good views of the park from the monorail, or good views of the monorail from the park (other than the goldbe gate). I think they have been on the old Pressler hit list for years.

sleepyjeff
11-08-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones
Yes, the monorails do serve a purpose:

We SHOULD be riding monorails from the parking structure to the gate. Cheapskates.

I think they have been on the old Pressler hit list for years.

Yup. The day I found out that the Grand Californian would have the Monorail go right thru it , but not stop.....I knew it was over for the Monorail. Just like peoplemover, subs, skyway, motorboats..........seems like all movement is frowned upon by the new Disney:(