PDA

View Full Version : Is demand pricing coming to Disneyland?

MidwayManiac
05-31-2015, 10:29 AM
From the Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-disneyland-peak-pricing-20150528-story.html)

familymemories
05-31-2015, 11:18 AM
Are they so dumb to figure out that the specific 60th event was not going to be crazy crowded. If they do tickets like th e possible survey suggestion they will end up losing alot of money. Poeple are not going to want to pay more up the nose for a one day ticket. It almost sounds like they survey maybe hinting no more annual passes? I am just assuming that.

Janis and Aaron
05-31-2015, 11:38 AM
Don't know what the big deal is. It's simple economics - supply and demand. Although I think the system already has "rewards" for going on slower days and "punishments" for going on busier days. Right now you may pay the same each day, but your experience will be much better on a slower day, so there is already a disincentive (just not pricewise) to going on a busier day.

Malcon10t
05-31-2015, 11:41 AM
It fixes the issue of people complaining "I go in March when it is slow and pay as much as those going long hours and al the rides open. I shouldn't have to pay as much."

MidwayManiac
05-31-2015, 12:50 PM
Under the scenario depicted in the survey, one-day, one-park admission prices for Disneyland would range from $115 for Gold tickets, $105 for Silver and $99 for Bronze tickets.

In other words they're taking the tiered pricing design applied to annual passes years ago and applying it to single-day and (probably) multi-day tickets. In that context, it's somewhat surprising it took this long.

Nightwing
05-31-2015, 04:16 PM
During the 24 hour day/60th launch. Heard a lot of people saying they were surprised about the events going on!!!! >_<

TTFN92
06-01-2015, 12:46 AM
When it says the company is trying to deal with an overcrowding problem, I have a hard time buying it. If they really wanted to end overcrowding then they would get rid of all APs. That would drop it tremendously but they won't ever do that.

Malcon10t
06-01-2015, 08:19 AM
When it says the company is trying to deal with an overcrowding problem, I have a hard time buying it. If they really wanted to end overcrowding then they would get rid of all APs. That would drop it tremendously but they won't ever do that.

APs protect their very slow days (which really doesn't happen anymore BECAUSE of the APs.) I do think tiered pricing would be the way to go. I also think the 24 hour party should have been a hard ticket event.

familymemories
06-01-2015, 08:35 AM
APs protect their very slow days (which really doesn't happen anymore BECAUSE of the APs.) I do think tiered pricing would be the way to go. I also think the 24 hour party should have been a hard ticket event.

Yes the event should have been a paid event ticket. Totally agree.

bumblebeeonarose
06-01-2015, 09:36 AM
I'm okay with the concept of tiered pricing, but the way they set it up just sounds confusing. Buy this many silver, that many bronze, and a gold day then get a discount up to 20% for going multiple days. Yikes! There has to be a simpler way to do this. Although it wouldn't help as much with busy holiday weekends, it'd be a lot easier to just charge a premium amount during summer, Christmas, and Spring Break and a slightly lower price for the rest of the year.

I am curious what's going to happen with the APs. I don't think they'd just get rid of them, but I wouldn't be surprised if the prices jump again. I think they do need to take a look at the AP system. I'm not sure what the best way to handle it is though. Perhaps have only the Deluxe and Premium levels and offer more/better local passes that are good for X number of bronze days or something. Time shall tell.

olegc
06-01-2015, 09:43 AM
I don't think APs will ever go away. There is way too much revenue being generated up front for the Parks. That being said, they will always try and tweak the program so they still get the revenue while controlling more dates and attendance. This tiered pricing is inevitable but what I found incorrect was the local media here in LA were mentioning the pricing proposal would assist with overcrowding - and as an example the 24 hour party had to close its gates twice due to the popularity. Well, that's not entirely an accurate correlation to a normal operating day. 3 new shows, new decorations, new merchandise and food, and a 24 hour party. You may even think that its the intent of having the survey so close - nice coincidence.

bumblebeeonarose
06-01-2015, 10:00 AM
Yeah this article http://www.cinemablend.com/pop/Disney-Parks-May-Making-Some-Major-Changes-72189.html seems to think you would pay more but have a less crowded experience. I don't really think that is the case. It's a $10 difference a day. That isn't going to make it or break it for the typical family who can only go in the summer. It may persuade some people to go during a less busy time, but many people just can't. What it will do, as others said, is take away the concept of we paid the same to go during February and half the rides were closed. And of course you still have APs to contend with. Interesting that they asked APs the survey question when APs don't pay regular entry prices.

olegc
06-01-2015, 10:10 AM
another interesting point is being made (even by the MP update today). When speaking about pricing - they are stating that Bronze tickets give you a discount compared to other dates. Well, really? as MP stated "It's hard to know if a $10 or $15 discount will help convince people to alter their travel plans, but it might make a dent in peak season crowding." If the price is $99 today, isn't that just a price hike for more popular days, not a discount for off-peak days? that line implies the regular price would be the gold price (which then you could say is the new price hike - a significant one of 15 for one day).

Jimbo996
06-01-2015, 01:16 PM
The new pricing plans makes the Deluxe AP a bargain if you want to visit for at least 5 consecutive days. Multi-day park hopping passes becomes way too expensive for most families as the prices are easily double from current prices. Disney has jumped the shark on these new pricing. While previously we were concerned about how much more you need to spend beyond $100, it is now clear that $500 is the new hurdle. Time to reconsider a yearly trip to Disneyland. Maybe more like a trip every 5 years.

olegc
06-01-2015, 01:30 PM
The new pricing plans makes the Deluxe AP a bargain if you want to visit for at least 5 consecutive days.

that's at the current pricing for APs. If they raise those too (which they would) then it may not be such a definitive choice.

tHeDiSnEyKiD
06-04-2015, 07:53 AM
Removing the So Cal pass was a good start, but all they need to do is completely REMOVE the Monthly option for all APs and that would solve all of their issues. All of this really started once the Monthly option was introduced. I use it, and most people do, however they need to get rid of it completely. Then introduce this tiered pricing and DONE. They're always trying to find creative ways to slowly get the crowds down. It's a complete mad house in the park on somewhat normal days...peak days, forget about it. If people want an AP so bad, make them PAY for it, up front, two passes only. Done.

houseofmouse
06-04-2015, 12:24 PM
Don't you think tiered pricing will change the logistics of slow and busy days? In WDW it sure would. By making it less to go during what they call "slow" days, more people would pay to go during this time, thus defeating the purpose of saying it costs less to go during the quieter times because those times would then become the busy times.

I agree monthly payments should go out the window.

danyoung
06-04-2015, 12:59 PM
They're always trying to find creative ways to slowly get the crowds down.

Not exactly true. They may be finding creative ways to get the crowds down, but the most important factor is money. And doing away with the monthly payments would cost them a chunk o' change.

MidwayManiac
06-04-2015, 01:01 PM
but all they need to do is completely REMOVE the Monthly option for all APs and that would solve all of their issues.

I agree monthly payments should go out the window.

Agreed. 110% agree in fact. I believe this would alleviate the overcrowding in a noticeable way once all the payment plans are phased out.

HOWEVER, unless some of the basic principles of econ 101 and general logic elude me, I can't envision a scenario in which Disney would actually cut itself off from simple, guaranteed revenue streams like the payment plans. Perhaps I'm oversimplifying it, but why make it more difficult for people to give you their money? (almost every successful business attempts to make it easier for you to give them money) ...
Unless, of course, Disney is more concerned with alleviating overcrowding than making money, which would come as a huge shock to me.

danyoung
06-04-2015, 05:11 PM
Well spoken, MM.

richsmit
06-04-2015, 06:58 PM
I pay for my AP's all at once anyway. I do not like monthly payments. If Disney wants to start down he road of variable pricing, with all the confusion, etc., I suggest going back to the original coupons, like "A", "B", "E". If Space Mountain would cost $45 a ride, the lines would REALLY drop!

sjhanksaz
06-05-2015, 08:31 AM
I think we all remember trips that were low in crowds and we want every trip to be that way.

Long and short of it is that seems like most people enjoy their trip even if it is crowded.

I am glad that Disney is not doing that pay for a pass to get you to the front of the line. I heard Magic Mountain is getting over 100 dollars a day for their premium front of the line day pass. That is in addition to the ticket to just get in the park.

currence
06-05-2015, 11:03 AM
Disneyland does have that - they are just called Premium VIP tours and they cost a lot more than $100 a day. :)

I have used the Express pass at Universal Studios Florida and it is (to me) totally worth the expensive hotel room.

sjhanksaz
06-05-2015, 03:32 PM
Disneyland does have that - they are just called Premium VIP tours and they cost a lot more than $100 a day. :)

I have used the Express pass at Universal Studios Florida and it is (to me) totally worth the expensive hotel room.

I would be tempted to buy one or maybe two - but when you have 6 to buy, I say pass