PDA

View Full Version : Where to eat Christmas dinner?

mystycalchyk
11-05-2003, 07:36 AM
OK, So I'm a Disneyland geek, but I've never been there on Christmas Day before.

Normally we leave for Dland the day after Christmas (I simply detest the thought of traveling on Christmas Day) BUT we found these AMAZING rates on flights out of Phoenix ($29 to Orange County) and the only flight they had available was on Christmas day (unless we wanted to lose a whole day and not get there till late late the next night, and I'mnot willing to give up a whole day in Disneyland)

So here we are, flying out on THE day....no waking up late and hanging out in snuggly sleepytime clothes, having a nice brunch and stuffing ourselves with a Turkey dinner later.....*sigh*....but I'd like to hear your suggestions of where we should have dinner that evening??? We want something really truly special....and traditional. I've never had to have a holiday meal there so I'm actually clueless. Either in DTD, DLand, or DCA (I dont care).

And once we figure out where we're going should we make reservations NOW????

millionairegirl
11-05-2003, 07:56 AM
Definitely make reservations.

I think Storyteller's Cafe in GCH would be the best all around place and be very traditional. There will be lots of children there though. If you are looking for more upscale, I've heard wonderful things about Napa Rose and Granville's.

sierranevada
11-05-2003, 10:33 AM
Each hotel usually has a traditional Christmas dinner. I suggest calling dining reservations to get more info and make reservations - 714-781-DINE.

Enjoy!

Lost Boy
11-05-2003, 01:30 PM
The Park will be extremely crowded after about 11am. You will notice that the attendance from opening till about 10 is very light. This is because most people stay home and open Christmas Presents and then when the kids get restless they try to figure out where to go. They call Universal Studios - "Sorry, Closed today", they try Knotts - "Sorry, closed today", They try Disneyland - Yes, we are open, come spend here". After noon you can hardly move thru the Park. I have not been to DCA on Christmas day so I don't know about how crowded it gets there, but I went once on Christmas day to Disneyland, and swore I would never do it again. If you think the crowds are bad now, just wait. That day is probably the most crowded day of the year, simply because nothing else is open.

Not Afraid
11-05-2003, 01:42 PM
We ate at Napa Rose last year for Christmas. We made reservations about 4 weeks in advance and didn't have a wide choice of available times to choose from, but things were available for the two of us.

We had the most marvelous, 5-course, 2 1/2 hour dinner. It was not cheap - but oh so worth it. I would do it again in an instant - and maybe we will. Christmas is shaping up to be lovely quiet and romantic.

After dinner, we went to the Park and enjoyed the Parade and Believe while sipping Hot Spiced Cider on Main Street. :swoon:

mystycalchyk
11-05-2003, 01:49 PM
oooOOOOOoooooo romantic is nice.
What kind of food at Napa Rose?

As much as we go to Disney, we never go there to eat. does that make sense? Food is never high on the prioroty lists I guess.
We are going to try to snag Fantasmic Balcony dessert that night and will probably eat a late lunch early dinner...Our flight lands around 1 ish at Orange County, so by the time we get there and check in and head over to get our AP's (our first APs BTW...we're so proud) we will go eat dinner early and then try to get into the Disneyland at least for Fantasmic that night.

The crowds dont scare me....we go every year at this time of year and we expect the crowds.

Not Afraid
11-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Napa Rose is very, um, gourmet - for lack of a better word. The food is delicious and beautifully presented, somewhat exotic, always well prepared, a tad adventerous, always unique, absouletly fantastic and divine.

There may be a Holiday Menu floating around somewhere on either the Pad of the Planet. That will give you a better idea.

I am a foodie, 100%. I love lots and lots of types of food. Napa Rose is one of the two best restaurants at the DLR - and the one I keep for special occasions.

mystycalchyk
11-05-2003, 02:16 PM
Thanks

Special is the key word of the night. But Im such a goob. I love a nice traditional Christmas dinner.

The fact that we are travelling on that day is a bit depressing to me. I hate not being home on that ONE day of the year. But Disneyland is worth it....we're just wanting to try to make it as normal as possible.

sediment
11-05-2003, 02:21 PM
This web site has in the past posted the Christmas dinners, places, and prices. I expect they'll do the same this year.

cstephens
11-06-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by mystycalchyk
What kind of food at Napa Rose?

Here is the current menu (http://www.colddeadfish.net/naparose/napamenu.html) for Napa Rose. The menu changes seasonally, so it'll probably change before Christmas comes, but at least you'll have an idea of the kind of food they serve. I expect they'll also have a Christmas menu. For comparison, here is their Thanksgiving menu (http://www.colddeadfish.net/naparose/napathanksgiving2003.html).

Being a big fan of Catal, I'd put in my recommendation for that as well. If you go here (http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlrdining.html), there are links to their current menu as well as their special Christmas menu.