PDA

View Full Version : False DL Memories?

Pages : [1] 2

iwannabeanimagineer
11-04-2003, 03:23 PM
Have any of you been haunted by memories of things at Disneyland that no one else recalls? Have you jumped for joy at finding documented evidence that you remembered it accurately? Have you found out that your memory was false, and if so, have you found a source of the false memory?

Mine:
I distinctly remember seeing Mary Poppins fly across the sky in place of Tinkerbell at the beginning of the fireworks show in the mid-1960's, when I would have been between 3 and 7 years old. For some 35 years I insisted I saw this but found no one to corroborate my memory.

Then, a few years ago, I saw a re-run of Disneyland's 10th Anniversary Special (on the now-sadly-missed Vault Disney). Near the middle of the show, the characters are cavorting and dancing in front of the castle. Then, the camera turns toward the Matterhorn and down comes Mary Poppins from the sky (in what passed for special effects in 1965). She lights on the plaza and dances with the chimney sweeps.

Was my memory of that special (which aired when I was 3 1/2 years old) confused with my memory of visits to the park? Can I really remember things that happened when I was 3?:confused:

redrhino
11-04-2003, 04:15 PM
Not too unusual.

See "I Tawt I Taw" a Bunny Rabbit at Disneyland (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2001/06/010612065657.htm) for fun.

Redrhino

iwannabeanimagineer
11-04-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by redrhino
See "I Tawt I Taw" a Bunny Rabbit at Disneyland (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2001/06/010612065657.htm) for fun.

Fascinating stuff!

Bill Catherall
11-04-2003, 05:31 PM
I always thought the drops on Pirates were perfectly vertical with sprinklers located overhead to wet down the passengers. In my case I think it was the only way I could visualize the experience and it translated into a false memory.

Captain Josh
11-04-2003, 05:36 PM
It's not really a false memory, if I know it was a dream...so that rules making out with a certain someone...

...they really did used to have toy guns, so that's not false...

...For some reason, I never remembered them selling cotton candy when I was younger, is that a new thing?

...but did the climax of Indy ever happen where the transport stops too close to the boulder, and escapes by "backing out" through the drop?

iwannabeanimagineer
11-04-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Bill Catherall
I always thought the drops on Pirates were perfectly vertical with sprinklers located overhead to wet down the passengers

This reminds me of a trick I played on my daughters: We have the Pirates Commemorative CD. I had them sit down, put on the headphones, close their eyes and listen to the ride-through track to re-live the experience. Just as the sound of the boat going down the first waterfall hit them, I sprayed them with water from a spray bottle. :eek:

cemeinke
11-04-2003, 06:38 PM
My False Pirates memeory was that there was only one long drop at the beginning - thought for sure they changed to 2 short drops to make it tamer. Guess I kept my eyes closed till we hit bottom.

sleepyjeff
11-04-2003, 07:55 PM
My false memory involved a miniture bottle of rum, a Lockheed Tri-Star L1011, and visions of Katrina VanTassel ..........beyond that I say no more:cool:

HBTiggerFan
11-04-2003, 08:08 PM
My false memory is I always thought Pirates had 3 drops towards the beginning.

sleepyjeff
11-04-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan
My false memory is I always thought Pirates had 3 drops towards the beginning.

I know what you mean. To this day I still anticipate that third drop. Even though I know it doesn't exsist:confused:

DisneyFan25863
11-04-2003, 08:27 PM
I always used to think that the last drop on Pirates (when you get off the lift hill) was some huge 20 foot drop :rolleyes:

cemeinke
11-04-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by DisneyFan25863
I always used to think that the last drop on Pirates (when you get off the lift hill) was some huge 20 foot drop :rolleyes:

Have you ever been to Paris?

zapppop
11-04-2003, 08:54 PM
I used to think the Electrical Parade was performed on Main Street.

Not Afraid
11-04-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by zapppop
I used to think the Electrical Parade was performed on Main Street.

No. You had a false memory about Tinkerbell's Flight. Do tell......:p

Andrew
11-04-2003, 08:57 PM
I could have sworn that Main Street was completely taken over by these bizarre goblin creatures in feety pajamas.

Must have been a horrible dream.

DisneyFan25863
11-04-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by cemeinke
Have you ever been to Paris?

I wish, but no :(

zapppop
11-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
No. You had a false memory about Tinkerbell's Flight. Do tell......:p

No, the Tinkerbell one happened.

You weren't there.

Sorry.

You're wrong.

MonorailMan
11-04-2003, 09:46 PM
I thought I actually saw carbon-based lifeforms in Tommorowland. ;)

Never mind the CMs and Geeks, there Disney-based life forms. ;) :D

MotorBoat Cruiser
11-05-2003, 08:46 AM
I have this vague but unconfirmable memory that there used to be a bunch of rides in Tomorrowland.

Not Afraid
11-05-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by zapppop
No, the Tinkerbell one happened.

You weren't there.

Sorry.

You're wrong.

Uh huh. Why don't you see if anyone else was there?:~D

merlinjones
11-05-2003, 09:57 AM
I'm hoping that Tomorrowland 98, Rocket Rods, Honey, Innoventions, Observatron, Light Magic, Many Adventures of Pooh and Disney's California Adventure will prove to be false DL memories.

jiminycesq
11-05-2003, 10:38 AM
Your question brought to mind a recent discussion with several acquaintances who swear - swear! - the cabin on Tom Sawyer's Island was at one point described/signed/listed as "Uncle Tom's cabin". They used this as an example of underlying attititudes of Disney in general. I do not remember this ever being the case, but perhaps on some old map it was so described - still, it makes no sense. Do they have a false memory? If so, how can one disprove a false memory when folks want to believe it because it supports their underlying perspective?

Not Afraid
11-05-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by jiminycesq
Your question brought to mind a recent discussion with several acquaintances who swear - swear! - the cabin on Tom Sawyer's Island was at one point described/signed/listed as "Uncle Tom's cabin". They used this as an example of underlying attititudes of Disney in general. I do not remember this ever being the case, but perhaps on some old map it was so described - still, it makes no sense. Do they have a false memory? If so, how can one disprove a false memory when folks want to believe it because it supports their underlying perspective?

Here's an early map of TSI that shows it as Burning Setler's Cabin. I don't remember it otherwise, and my own early maps show it as the same. Here's the link. (http://home.earthlink.net/~cstrodder/Disneymap.html)

Demigod121
11-05-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by redrhino
Not too unusual.

Redrhino

I don't know which is more disturbing.....the fact that this can actually happen, or that you knew enough about it to post the link!

-Scary!!!!!

-Demigod
(Who distinctly remembers that there used to be a great amusement park somewhere in Anaheim, California....sigh...)

cryan71
11-05-2003, 12:29 PM
I had these weird memories that I used to come to the Sunday MP noon hub meetings.

But noone remembers me being there.