PDA

View Full Version : [Rumor] Disneyland Fastpass+ - coming August 2015?

Pages : [1] 2

olegc
05-21-2015, 10:55 AM
hmm - could be
http://wdwnt.com/blog/2015/05/breaking-disneyland-will-test-fastpass-system-this-summer-hong-kong-launching-in-2016/

TTFN92
05-21-2015, 03:32 PM
I am not looking forward to this. I hope they tweek it for DL because the whole idea of scheduling FPs weeks or months in advance does not sound appealing. And to only get a couple a day sounds terrible. Glad our trip is in June then it should have bugs worked out by our next trip.

cstephens
05-21-2015, 07:57 PM
Is three months enough time to install all the necessary kiosks that FP+ needs?

TTFN92
05-21-2015, 11:01 PM
Is three months enough time to install all the necessary kiosks that FP+ needs?

Good point and right in the middle of all the 60th festivities. Seems like bad timing.

oregontraveler
05-22-2015, 02:51 AM
http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-83603411/

Another perspective.

olegc
05-22-2015, 04:52 AM
So somewhat opposite of the first story. Oh well at least Niven is noted as a source and that's high up for Disneyland.

TTFN92
05-22-2015, 05:41 PM

Another perspective.

I was just coming to post this. Yay on both accounts! I didn't want Magicbands or a Star Warsland. I think I'll take the LA Times quote over a blog.

bumblebeeonarose
05-23-2015, 11:02 AM
I read something a month + ago that said Magic bands would NOT be coming to the park. However, just because the Magic bands don't make it to Disneyland that doesn't mean there won't be a FP+ system. There are other ways they could use FP+ without shelling out the cost for the bands.

MidwayManiac
05-23-2015, 11:25 AM
I was at WDW 14 months ago when they began making FP+ available to offsite guests, so I luckily was able to experience it firsthand.

As a lifelong Disneylander I was skeptical at first but quickly fell in love with FP+. The convenience of scheduling the FP hours in advance, change them on the fly to meet the needs of what's happening, and most of all not having to trek all over the park to get paper passes ... FP + is a godsend IMO. FP+ blows FP outta the water.

To the SoCal demographic it'll be perfectly suited since many AP holders hit up the parks after a day at work and aren't there to get first crack at prime paper passes in the morning.
Assuming it's made available to them (and not solely day guests), Annual Passholders should embrace this innovation. My $.02.

olegc
05-23-2015, 03:20 PM
Yes no paper or running around is great but since a lot of so cal folks are "on a whim" attendees doesn't the advanced nature of fp+ make that more difficult?

MermaidHair
05-23-2015, 05:34 PM
I have a friend who works on the FP+ Team at WDW. She said they will likely install FP+ in Shanghai before coming to Anaheim. She was bummed because she would like to transfer to So Cal.

Nightwing
05-23-2015, 05:53 PM

Another perspective.

The one line of not remove anything is I hope not bulldoze Tomorrowland!

MidwayManiac
05-23-2015, 06:24 PM
Yes no paper or running around is great but since a lot of so cal folks are "on a whim" attendees doesn't the advanced nature of fp+ make that more difficult?

I don't think so. Then again I'm getting ahead of myself. I'm not sure of the particulars of how FP+ works for Passholders at WDW or if they're even granted access. Would be great to hear one of them chime in here.

Given the attendance patterns at DLR and the fact Passholders are such frequent guests, it follows that FP+ will have to incorporate Passholders.

To answer your question, Oleg, "on a whim" guests would access the MDE app (iirc that's what it's called) that's linked to their ticket - in this case, pass - anytime the day of their visit and click, click, click. Done. Reservations made. I don't envision it as difficult at all.

olegc
05-23-2015, 07:29 PM
I guess my point was all those who may grab ones early so the fastpasses are all issued. There are a lot of permutations so we'll just have to see.

MidwayManiac
05-23-2015, 08:19 PM
I guess my point was all those who may grab ones early so the fastpasses are all issued. There are a lot of permutations so we'll just have to see.

I hear ya. I've thought of that.

The Anaheim demographic being what it is, it'll be tricky to implement. More proof that there's not 'one size fits all' for Orlando & Anaheim. One Disney what?

josephfive
05-24-2015, 07:14 AM

Indeed. My biggest question is with the local AP demographic. Sweeping generalization alert ... there is a pervasive element of "flakiness" in Southern California or on the flip side spontaneity combined with being spoiled for choice. Sometimes first come, first served works better.

olegc
05-24-2015, 09:07 AM
Oh I agree. Entitlement feelings abound. However, I am one of the APs that spends a signifiicant amount of money like an out of town guest. Not the usual demographic that's written about. As stated above there are so many subtle variations its difficult to come up with a single planning strategy. U just have to dive in.

TTFN92
05-24-2015, 09:11 PM
The convenience of scheduling the FP hours in advance, change them on the fly to meet the needs of what's happening,

I don't think it's that easy to just "change then on the fly." My nephew worked at the FP+ booth in WDW last spring and he has angry guests daily because they couldn't change their FP or get another one because they were gone. The rides that really need the FP would be home early on the day and when you get less FPs in a day then you would if you were there it's not a good system. I would not want to choose between getting a FP for ToT and RSR which is how it is in WDW, except it's choosing between ToT and Rockin Roller Coaster.

MidwayManiac
05-24-2015, 10:00 PM
I don't think it's that easy to just "change then on the fly."

It is. I did it.

My nephew worked at the FP+ booth in WDW last spring and he has angry guests daily because they couldn't change their FP or get another one because they were gone

I don't doubt it. Like anything else (paper fastpasses, dinner reservations, plans to go to the movies), the longer you wait to make adjustments/ plans, the more your choices and their availability diminish.

bumblebeeonarose
05-26-2015, 10:30 AM
I would be concerned that some people may make reservations on the chance they might attend, taking up spots that others could use and then not using them. As far as them all being gone if you go on a whim, I don't think that's as much an issue. If you're currently going after work the FP are often gone anyway. So it wouldn't be that different. The nice thing would be that people could decide at lunch time they're going to DL and use the App to get the FP they normally wouldn't be able to get. In theory anyway. We'll see.

jsilkey
05-26-2015, 11:16 AM
We really enjoyed FP+. The issue of reserving and then not attending is why they limit the # of passes for AP's on a rolling time period (sorry, don't remember how long). That became an issue for us at WDW because we were there for 13 days, but bought AP's through DVC, so we had to deal with the AP rules. It was not set up to let us reserve 13 days in a row. However, we were still able to reserve most of our days and then do the other ones as time passed.

DL would have the option to open a certain number of FP's in advance to hotel guests and then release more on the day (even at various times throughout the day). Due to the nature of DL, it is possible they will figure out a pattern for this.....maybe ;)

We were able to change FP's as mentioned before. Yes, the big ones required more advance planning. However, there is no way that locals wander in on busy days after work and get FP's to all the big rides. We heard people saying they do this last time we were in DL from guests discussing the possibilities of FP+ coming to DL.....mostly overheard, but I really wanted to call them on that!

cstephens
05-26-2015, 01:11 PM
I was not particularly a fan of FP+ at WDW, so I would not be in favor of it coming to DL. When we were at WDW in February, we didn't make our FP+ plans as soon as our window was open, and even though it was still a month or two out from the date of our visit when we did, the FP for some of the big stuff, including the Mine Train, was gone. With the regular FP system, we could have decided on a particular day that we wanted to go first thing in the morning to get a FP. Since all the FP were gone, we went first thing one morning and got in the standby line instead, which took about an hour. We did make adjustments to some of our FP+ choices while we were there, but of course, it's limited only to what's available at that time. And if you don't have a smart phone, you have to stand in line at a kiosk to make changes, and some of those lines looked pretty long. One other issue is that you can't have FP+ reservations that overlap. If you have an FP+ for something between 3pm and 4pm, you can't reserve another FP+ for any other ride unless it starts at or after 4pm. With the regular FP system, if you got a return time of 3pm to 4pm, you could go get another FP at 3pm. Oh, and I didn't notice any difference making FP+ reservations being an AP.

I think the FP+ would actually be worse for APs at Disneyland. Yes, there is a lot of last-minute deciding to go to DL on the part of APs, and with the pre-booking, APs wouldn't have access to them. Right now, if I decide to play hooky from work tomorrow and go to DL, I can get an FP for Racers first thing in the morning. With FP+, they would likely be all booked already, so even if I went first thing, I wouldn't be able to get an FP for that ride.

olegc
05-26-2015, 01:41 PM
thats an interesting point about the smartphone. Does anyone know if the access to FP+ via smartphone is limited to iOS, or do they support Android. And - as such - is there a version limit too. For the 60th Diamond Days sweepstakes you can't access the website for the contest unless you are using Android 4.4 (KitKat). I am using an older android (4.0.4 - Ice Cream Sandwich). This is Disney's mobile site via the browser, not an app.

cstephens
05-26-2015, 01:46 PM
Does anyone know if the access to FP+ via smartphone is limited to iOS, or do they support Android.

I don't know what version he has, but my husband has an android phone and was able to use the MyMagic+ app to change our FP+ reservations.

candles71
05-26-2015, 02:45 PM
thats an interesting point about the smartphone. Does anyone know if the access to FP+ via smartphone is limited to iOS, or do they support Android. And - as such - is there a version limit too. For the 60th Diamond Days sweepstakes you can't access the website for the contest unless you are using Android 4.4 (KitKat). I am using an older android (4.0.4 - Ice Cream Sandwich). This is Disney's mobile site via the browser, not an app.

OT- Thanks, I was trying to figure out why my phone wasn't supported for the contest site.

On topic, I don't like the whole idea, even being in Nor-Cal, some of our trips end up being kind of last minute. This last one was set 6 weeks out, would we have been able to get FPs for it?