PDA

View Full Version : Greener Park?

Foodie
05-19-2015, 08:24 PM
I have been wondering for a while now, how is Disneyland handling the statewide plastic bag ban? Are visitors expected to provide their own reusable bags or you have to pay for plastic bags like we do here in Seattle? I have plenty of reusable bags I can pack with me, I just am curious if I need to at all.

Also, are any of you locals noticing anything happening with the drought? Has anything changed at the parks? My next trip with my family isn't for a year, so who knows what will happen between now and then, but I was just curious if anything was being changed now that I should mentally prepare for...!

candles71
05-19-2015, 08:42 PM
First, the ban doesn't apply to DL.
Second, the ban was supposed to take effect July 1, BUT was pulled for voter approval. They got enough signatures. Some local cities have gone ahead with their own bans.

ETA: I missed the water question, sorry. All of the rides involving water recirculate, so it isn't an issue. We (well my bff's DH who is a landscaper) noticed Universal's sprinklers have been changed to grey water, I could see DL following suit. The biggest thing is reusing your towels, and not having your sheets changed daily. Also, restaurants won't bring you water unless you ask for it.

josephfive
05-20-2015, 06:28 AM
We will have to wait and see how far and wide the plastic bag ban goes. It's been an on and off thing here in Southern California, mostly the cities decide what they are going to do.

I would imagine them using a recycled water system for landscape, if they don't already.

LacyBelle
05-20-2015, 10:08 AM
I know in some cities up here in the Bay Area, retailers can provide reusable bags to their customers at no charge. There are specifications for the free, reusable bags to quality...they must contain handles and be durable and designed for multiple re-use. If plastic, they must be a certain thickness.

In recent months, we've received such bags from the Apple Store, the Microsoft Store, and the San Jose Sharks store at the arena. All stores within 'bag ban' cities.

Depending on how the statewide law is written, if a similar clause exists I would imagine Disney shopping bags would fall under that same exception.

candles71
05-20-2015, 02:14 PM
I tried a quick search, we discussed this here once before, but I couldn't find it. I believe you are right about the thickness of their bags not falling under the ban, also I *think there is some language in there about grocery store bags.

3Princesses1Prince
05-20-2015, 06:28 PM
Yes it's grocery store bags. I remember seeing places like Target being exempt because they aren't "grocery stores".

Malcon10t
05-20-2015, 06:43 PM
Generally, the plastic bag ban applies to grocery, drug store and convenience stores. Most areas it does not apply to restaurants or department stores (Target/Nordstroms). Thinking about trying to pick up Burger king and having to bring your own bag..... Or Nordstroms (ok, this one makes me giggle...)

Foodie
05-20-2015, 08:07 PM
This is good to know! In Seattle, we voted against the bag ban and still got it. They said it was just for grocery stores but it's for all stores, except restaurants, it seems. We have to take our own bags to clothing stores, book stores, the mall, etc. It's ultimately good for the earth, so I suppose I shouldn't complain, but it was definitely a sort of bait and switch up here...!

Glad to hear things are running smoothly at the park in spite of the drought.

currence
05-20-2015, 08:36 PM
In the City of Los Angeles, the plastic grocery bag ban does apply to Target, or at least those Targets which sell food (which I think here are all of them). It is also banned at the Glendale Galleria Target (I don't know if that mall is in the city of Los Angeles or if Glendale just has a similar ban). That one is always especially annoying to me since I never remember and so rarely go to that mall it never occurs to me to bring my own bags. I have been known to stop by the Lego Store first (which is usually why I'm going to that mall) so that I then have a bag to take into Target.