PDA

View Full Version : Clones!

hobo_n
11-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Does anyone esle think that the clones of rides and parks/ downtown districts;) are bad. They just seam to get worst and worst. Look at the Pooh, good(real good) fair, and just poor. And Downtown Disneys and compare them. We dont even get a Disney Quest, even though i didnt like it. And it makes all the parks the same.

Guest_Control
11-03-2003, 11:51 PM
My opinions about cloned attractions have always been mixed. Nearly everything in MK is a clone of something from Disneyland, but people scream bloody murder whenever Disneyland or DCA receives a clone of some kind. People come to the parks to ride specific attractions and meet specific characters, so it makes sense that every park has their own version of Space Mountain or the Tea Cups. However, I think that it's the unique rides and shows that make a trip seem worthwhile to a Disneyphile such as myself. Alice in Wonderland, the Matterhorn and the original Enchanted Tiki Room are all examples of unique attractions that help contribute to the overall charm of a park. I wouldn't fly down to Florida just to see a larger version of Dumbo, but that's not saying I wouldn't ride on it when I got there. Smaller, unique rides and shows are just as much a part of Disney parks as the clones.

justagrrl
11-04-2003, 06:13 AM
As long as the clone is just as good or better - I don't think many people will complain. When you get a clone that is NOT a clone, but a more cheaply done version, one that is missing some of the effects that make the orginal as fab as it is, then you get people who are dissapointed.

Once that happens a few times, you get a certain amount of skepticism about all cloned rides.

DBJ
11-04-2003, 12:36 PM
I think thrill ride clones, like TOT or the cloned coasters of DL/WDW, fare better than clones of film based attractions or passive experiences.

Also, there is little reason why they can't clone the basic tech & themes of the ride and create a whole new adventure. Movies have sequels, why not rides? They can easily clone Rock N Roller coaster from MGM and drop it into DL or DCA, but just change the theme to fit the appropiate area.

Cadaverous Pallor
11-04-2003, 02:02 PM
I'm confused by your thumbs up signal. :confused:

averagecuppajoe
11-04-2003, 02:24 PM
A good attraction is a good attraction. Who cares which park it opened in first.

What's really annoying to me is the trend that other theme parks have now... building a coaster, then ripping it out a couple years later and sending it to another theme park. I think you build a coaster, leave it alone. If you want another coaster in that park, build it in a different location. This is especially bad when the old coaster wasn't a very good attraction in the first place, and it's introduced in another park as a "new" attraction. Yeah, right.

An annoying Disney trend? How about taking out rides and not replacing them. Don't get me started..