PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Days Sweepstakes at Disneyland

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

AVP
05-11-2015, 12:23 PM
http://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/179863-2/D60GlassSlipper-041415-AVP.jpg

Last month, Disneyland announced the Diamond Days Sweepstakes, a new promotion tied to the park's 60th anniversary celebration. The daily and weekly prizes are pretty spectacular, and definitely a notch above the ear hats and pin lanyards distributed during the Year of a Million Dreams promotions.

From the little information released so far by Disney, it looks to us that daily winners receive a VIP tour as their prize. These private tours normally run up to $500 per hour, and include:

A personal tour guide
The ability to use the Fastpass entrance at every attraction that offers that service
"Preferred access" at a list of rides that don't offer Fastpass
Access to reserved viewing areas for shows like World of Color, the new "Disneyland Forever" fireworks, and the Paint the Night parade

If this is the prize, (and Disney would not comment when asked), it would be a very special way to experience the 60th anniversary events.

Special weekly prizes include a faceted Cinderella slipper topped with a heart-shaped diamond and topaz pendant, or invitations to private events like a tailgate party in Cars Land. On significant Disney dates—likely including July 17—visitors can win a 1-carat, custom-engraved diamond gemstone, along with an overnight stay in the Disneyland Dream Suite.

Disney has not announced how visitors will enter the contest, but we think we have an inkling of how the contest may work. According to documents filed with the city of Anaheim, Disney is set to install "word of the day" signs at each of the theme park entrance locations:

One in Downtown Disney (where the Monorail provides entrance to Disneyland)
One at the Grand Californian Hotel (which has an entrance gate to Disney California Adventure)
One in the Esplanade between Disneyland and Disney California Adventure

When the contest website (https://disneyland.disney.go.com/events-tours/diamond-days-sweepstakes/) was first published, it read that visitors "must be present on the Disneyland Resort premises" to enter or win the prizes. That language has since been removed, but we're guessing that Disney will use this "word of the day" as part of the entry process. You may be required to submit the word via email, text message, or tweet (Twitter message) to enter, and will be notified if you are randomly selected as the winner. Or maybe a new version of the Dream Squad will approach random visitors in the parks or hotels and award prizes if they can produce the word of the day on request.

Either way, the "on the Disneyland Resort premises" requirement prevents people from entering the contest from their home in the other side of the country as soon as the word of the day is shared via social media.

Disney says that all details and official rules will be announced on Friday, May 22, but also that "specific prizes to be awarded in the weekly sweepstakes will be announced online the preceding week," so we may know more by this Friday (May 15). One thing that hasn't changed is the eligibility requirements—the contest is open to legal residents of the 50 U.S. states, D.C., Mexico, and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are the age of majority as of date of entry.

Mark Goldhaber
05-11-2015, 01:51 PM
When the contest website (https://disneyland.disney.go.com/events-tours/diamond-days-sweepstakes/) was first published, it read that visitors "must be present on the Disneyland Resort premises" to enter or win the prizes. That language has since been removed, but we're guessing that Disney will use this "word of the day" as part of the entry process. You may be required to submit the word via email, text message, or tweet (Twitter message) to enter, and will be notified if you are randomly selected as the winner. Or maybe a new version of the Dream Squad will approach random visitors in the parks or hotels and award prizes if they can produce the word of the day on request.

Either way, the "on the Disneyland Resort premises" requirement prevents people from entering the contest from their home in the other side of the country as soon as the word of the day is shared via social media.

It looks like the wording may just have been moved to be more specific. The website says "Daily prize winners must be present on the Disneyland Resort premises at the time of entry and at the time of prize redemption in order to be able to enjoy these special experiences, and theme park admission is not necessary to enter or win the sweepstakes." but the wording is not present for the Weekly or Suite Life prize descriptions.

queenbetsey
05-11-2015, 06:17 PM
well I hope you don'
t have to tweet the word I don't have a smart phone ;(

Janis and Aaron
05-13-2015, 06:28 PM
well I hope you don'
t have to tweet the word I don't have a smart phone ;(

Neither do I. I hope Disney will take into account the fact that something like 25% of Americans don't have smartphones. They'd be excluding 1 in 4 of their guests!

miss bianca
05-18-2015, 01:18 PM
This article is interesting - not sure how accurate.

http://www.popsugar.com/smart-living/Disneyland-60th-Anniversary-Diamond-Celebration-37469049#photo-37469049

"Starting May 22, the park will be giving special VIP experiences to certain guests on a day-to-day basis. These perks include individualized tours of the parks, preferred viewing for evening entertainment, and priority access to select attractions."

and

"On a weekly basis, park guests are eligible to win a private party in Fantasyland, a romantic cruise aboard the Mark Twain Riverboat, or a tailgate party in Cars Land — the prize varies week to week."

corona
05-20-2015, 08:23 AM
blog post (disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/05/disneyland-diamond-days-begins-may-22-first-weekly-prize-is-2-carat-blue-disney-diamond-and-vacation-package/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DisneyParks+%28Disney+Parks+B log%29)

Enter daily sweepstakes by correctly texting word of the day to short code 347639 (Disney) or by using sponsor tablet (available only at the Disneyland® Resort (“Resort”)). Word of the day can be found in ungated areas of the Resort (areas of Resort that do not require paid admission) or at http://www.Disneyland.com/DiamondDays (the “Sweeps Site”). Entrant must be physically present at the Resort premises (which includes ungated areas) at the time of entry into daily sweepstakes.

So, no need for a smartphone as you can text or enter on a "sponsor tablet".
However, you must have access to a phone to get a winning notification.

How would Disney know where a text message or web entry is coming from?
It seems the "must be physically present" really can't be enforced at time of entry.

Doh! More confusion - the rules seem to be for the daily sweepstakes, but a daily entry gets you into the weekly drawing, but there's a separate line about entering the weekly contest online ...

olegc
05-20-2015, 08:32 AM
blog post (disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/05/disneyland-diamond-days-begins-may-22-first-weekly-prize-is-2-carat-blue-disney-diamond-and-vacation-package/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DisneyParks+%28Disney+Parks+B log%29)

Enter daily sweepstakes by correctly texting word of the day to short code 347639 (Disney) or by using sponsor tablet (available only at the Disneyland® Resort (“Resort”)). Word of the day can be found in ungated areas of the Resort (areas of Resort that do not require paid admission) or at http://www.Disneyland.com/DiamondDays (the “Sweeps Site”). Entrant must be physically present at the Resort premises (which includes ungated areas) at the time of entry into daily sweepstakes.

So, no need for a smartphone as you can text or enter on a "sponsor tablet".
However, you must have access to a phone to get a winning notification.

How would Disney know where a text message or web entry is coming from?
It seems the "must be physically present" really can't be enforced at time of entry.

Doh! More confusion - the rules seem to be for the daily sweepstakes/

you are right they can't enforce it so to speak. They can put a time limit on getting your prize, say 20 or 30 min. so you couldn't necessarily drive there. We'll have to see. Of course its vague enough that they can modify it as they go along.

katiesue
05-20-2015, 09:27 AM
I don't think you could put a short time limit on the prizes. What if you were having dinner? The coverage inside the park isn't great either.

AndreaEllen
05-20-2015, 09:46 AM
It's a 60-minute response time, or you forfeit your win. I imagine you have to meet someone on resort grounds within that 60 minutes.

MissDisney1955
05-20-2015, 06:30 PM
I was told that for the diamond celebrate Disney will be handing out actual diamonds? I assume these are rings or maybe other forms of jewelry. This is the first I have heard anything. Does anyone know anything about this? I know there is a sweepstakes for things like Cinderella's slipper, I would think it would be part of that. not sure. any information is appreciated thank you.

Malcon10t
05-20-2015, 06:36 PM
I was told that for the diamond celebrate Disney will be handing out actual diamonds? I assume these are rings or maybe other forms of jewelry. This is the first I have heard anything. Does anyone know anything about this? I know there is a sweepstakes for things like Cinderella's slipper, I would think it would be part of that. not sure. any information is appreciated thank you.Yes, if you check the first post in this thread, it tells about some of the prizes, one of which is a 1 carat diamond on specific dates.

Janis and Aaron
05-20-2015, 08:18 PM
According to the blog post, "Each day, daily sweepstakes starts at 7:00 AM PT (5:00 AM PT on 5/22/15) and ends at 10:59 AM (PT)." Then they notify the winners around 11 AM. I'm disappointed because this totally doesn't work for our usual way of visiting the park (going down after school on Fridays, then staying until closing). We'll either have to change our habits, or just hope for one of the weekly prizes. I know, I know, Disney is not obligated to cater to us :eyeroll: but I'm still disappointed. (Glad that they will have "sponsor tablets" for those of us without smartphones, though.)

olegc
05-21-2015, 09:21 AM
According to the blog post, "Each day, daily sweepstakes starts at 7:00 AM PT (5:00 AM PT on 5/22/15) and ends at 10:59 AM (PT)." Then they notify the winners around 11 AM. I'm disappointed because this totally doesn't work for our usual way of visiting the park (going down after school on Fridays, then staying until closing). We'll either have to change our habits, or just hope for one of the weekly prizes. I know, I know, Disney is not obligated to cater to us :eyeroll: but I'm still disappointed. (Glad that they will have "sponsor tablets" for those of us without smartphones, though.)

yeah - definitely geared to out-of-town guests and morning-risers. That's ok - there's so much this year that not winning a daily prize is not a big deal (at least for me). I am still curious how they will be able to check whether you were on property when you entered the contest. Are they going to use location information? I don't see how they can with just a text - unless they have worked something out.

miss bianca
05-21-2015, 10:13 AM
It says you have 60 mins to claim your prize so I would think you have to be on site. They are just trying to discourage people in Idaho from sitting on their couch and entering "for fun"

"Potential daily sweepstakes winners will be notified (via text or phone) at approx. 11:00 AM PT each day and must contact Sponsor within 60 minutes of notification or prize will be forfeited. Daily prize can only be claimed on Resort premises and only on the same day as entry."

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/05/disneyland-diamond-days-begins-may-22-first-weekly-prize-is-2-carat-blue-disney-diamond-and-vacation-package/

josephfive
05-21-2015, 10:15 AM
I'm curious just to see how this pans out. I still recall "Year of a Million Dreams" where they had the Dream Squad (not sure if that was really their name) come around and, mostly, hand out FP lanyards to people. Some days, that squad would get mobbed. I don't think that was fun for anyone and it created kind of a chaotic scene, at times. And people got kinda awful and ungrateful if they got special ears, but maybe they wanted the lanyard. We never expected to get anything. In fact, the day that we did win the FP lanyard, I had to change our plans for the day so that we could go back at night to use it and I think I ended up giving away what we didn't complete. We just didn't have the time.

This new way cuts down on the manpower by quite a lot. I suppose you could enter the contest if you know that you'll be at the parks later?

olegc
05-21-2015, 10:24 AM
It says you have 60 mins to claim your prize so I would think you have to be on site. They are just trying to discourage people in Idaho from sitting on their couch and entering "for fun"

"Potential daily sweepstakes winners will be notified (via text or phone) at approx. 11:00 AM PT each day and must contact Sponsor within 60 minutes of notification or prize will be forfeited. Daily prize can only be claimed on Resort premises and only on the same day as entry."

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/05/disneyland-diamond-days-begins-may-22-first-weekly-prize-is-2-carat-blue-disney-diamond-and-vacation-package/

yeah - I see that. though most super-local locals (like me - 15 min) could easily enter and get there within an hour.

as stated by most - the actual operation of this whole things is still a speculation at this time.

AndreaEllen
05-21-2015, 10:31 AM
I know this will come off as competitive, which I think is inherently a detriment to the magic of Disneyland. But... as an out-of-towner, it bothers me to think that I'm competing with all of the Anaheim area, not just those in the parks. I only have two days there; not several months.

Perhaps it is meant to be a subtle love-letter to locals, though. "Thanks for working with us all these years, now here's your chance for a special treat!"

olegc
05-21-2015, 10:47 AM
I know this will come off as competitive, which I think is inherently a detriment to the magic of Disneyland. But... as an out-of-towner, it bothers me to think that I'm competing with all of the Anaheim area, not just those in the parks. I only have two days there; not several months.

Perhaps it is meant to be a subtle love-letter to locals, though. "Thanks for working with us all these years, now here's your chance for a special treat!"

to me, though, locals can't necessarily take advantage of this - unless they have jobs that allow them to take off once they get the announcement - or are driving teens or retirees. So to me it is definitely more about the guests from out of town but locals will still have an opportunity to get something. Since the text window is only 7am to 1159am (close enough) then you have 1 hour to get your prize. that's it.

abkb76
05-21-2015, 03:44 PM
to me, though, locals can't necessarily take advantage of this - unless they have jobs that allow them to take off once they get the announcement - or are driving teens or retirees. So to me it is definitely more about the guests from out of town but locals will still have an opportunity to get something. Since the text window is only 7am to 1159am (close enough) then you have 1 hour to get your prize. that's it.

This will work out really well for me since I'm a local (live up the street) and a teacher (so I'll be on vacation for two months).
: )

corona
05-22-2015, 09:16 AM
official rules (https://disneyland.disney.go.com/diamond-days-sweepstakes-official-rules/)

It is worth noting that you can enter daily into the weekly sweepstakes.

AndreaEllen
05-22-2015, 09:34 AM
official rules (https://disneyland.disney.go.com/diamond-days-sweepstakes-official-rules/)

It is worth noting that you can enter daily into the weekly sweepstakes.

Thanks for the heads-up, corona! In addition to the weekly Sweepstakes info (which I didn't know about), that took me to this little beauty of a Word of the Day page (https://diamond.disneyland.disney.go.com/wotd). I'm sure everyone else knew about it already, but it might be worth bookmarking for the future...

stan4d_steph
05-22-2015, 10:42 AM
To summarize how to enter the weekly drawing if you won't be eligible for in-park prizes:

1. Look up Word of the Day (https://diamond.disneyland.disney.go.com/wotd).
2. Go to online entry form (http://disneydiamonddays.com/).
3. Enter Word of the Day and personal information.

corona
05-22-2015, 11:51 AM
Scratch you must have access to a phone to get a winning notification
Information about the potential Daily Winner will also be posted at the Guest Relations Window and at other locations in the Resort in Sponsor’s discretion (“Signage Notification”) for sixty (60) minutes to notify potential Daily Winner who entered via Tablet Entry.

What happened to the "Mark Twain" prize?

queenbetsey
05-22-2015, 04:58 PM
ok so here is a scenario for you. on Monday hubby and I will be heading down there in the am. we like going for rope drop and figure that we can get on a few things before we take the cultivating the magic tour. wonder what happens if we are on the tour and get picked? do we bail on the tour and run to wherever we go to to claim the prize and then try to catch up with the tour again?:eyeroll:

queenbetsey
05-22-2015, 05:05 PM
so does that mean we have to head back to guest relations around 11? what a pain in the neck. I can do a text just don't have the smart phone jeesh I see this being a mess for a while until they get things ironed out but the prizes look cool. but I really do wish they would have brought back the dream squad folks to pass out lots of other smaller prizes too. even though I didn't find any of them during that promotion the folks that did were so happy with the fast passes pins etc. while at wdw my daughters who were 14 and 20 at the time ran into a cm from the dream squad and got tinkerbell pins. it was pretty cool.