PDA

View Full Version : Snow White to star again

justagrrl
10-31-2003, 05:20 AM
from today's OC Register (http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/article.do?id=64295&section=LOCAL&subsection=LOCAL&year=2003&month=10&day=31)

A new live musical will debut Feb. 22 in Disneyland's Fantasyland Theatre. "Disney's Snow White – An Enchanting Musical," a 28-minute adaptation of Disney's 1937 animated film, will feature many of its best- known songs. The production will be directed by Eric Schaeffer, artistic director of Washington's Signature Theatre and a director on Broadway and London's West End. The production will be designed by Tom Butsch, who created the Disney shows "Fantasmic!" and "The Hunchback of Notre Dame Festival of Fools." Butsch will base his scenery on the work of artist Maxfield Parrish.

I love Maxfield Parrish- If the sets are based on his work, it's bound to be beautiful.

tracilicious
10-31-2003, 06:15 AM
oooh! i looooove maxfield parrish! and it's the guy that created fantasmic! sounds like it's gonna be good!

scaeagles
10-31-2003, 06:19 AM
I must admit to a bit on confusion. I thought Mickey's Detective school was cancelled as a cost cutting measure. Surely a new production, with a ton of upfront production costs with no return until the premiere data, is far more expensive than just keeping the old show.

I have a theory - perhaps the "cost cutting" was a more preferable story to "we're getting rid of the show because it sucks". Now, I never saw the show, but from what i understand from many on these boards is that it did in a big way.

Thoughts?

tracilicious
10-31-2003, 06:29 AM
my guess would be that they canceled detective school because the cost of running vs. number of people it pulled in was too great. now that they have to do something to get people into the parks i think they are pulling in a show that they know will have a large draw.

LegolandMC
10-31-2003, 06:30 AM
Yeah, my friend calls it Mickey's Defective School....it was pretty bad.

Maybe they consider a new show cost cutting because they'll have a great show, and not have to spend time and money taking care of guest complaints from people who hate the show. ;)

Rallymonkey23
10-31-2003, 08:06 AM
Anybody ever think that they are returning to the good 'ole days of entertainment at DL? Beauty & The Beast, Pocahontas, etc....?

Maybe it's just a sign of good things to come..... Sounds like it's going to be a good show. :)

Lost Boy
10-31-2003, 02:27 PM
Snow White was announced months ago by Anne Hamburger and many thought it was her next move to be seen as a Broadway Stage Producer. It was always planned to close Mickey's Detective Shool to make way for this big Broadway Style stage show at Disneyland.

DivaPrincess
11-01-2003, 01:02 PM
They just wrapped up auditions in LA and New York. I wanted to go, but I'm to short for Snow White. (Doesn't she seem short? Guess she has to be taller than the dwarfs) The breakdowns were interesting. Here's some:

SNOW WHITE: Female. Age 19-27 5'7" or taller
Beautiful, graceful, eloquent, optimistic & romantic. Has a contemporary sense about her.

PRINCE: Male Age 26-34 6' or taller
Classic handsome prince with a romantic voice and a sence of humor. Imagine a young, regal Tom Hanks. (Thought that was interesting.)

QUEEN: Female 35-40's 5'6" or taller
Strong actress. No singing or dancing required. Evil, beautiful, eccentric and dangerous. Must have a strong and commanding presence.

SEVEN DWARFS: Male 4'9" to 5'6" Preferebly under 5'4"
Largely Character Singing. Musical Theatre Comedians. Singers/Actors with strobg coordination and movemebt ability. Tap, Clogging, gymnastics & tumbling are a plus.

*Rehearsals are scheduled to begin eigher Dec 28th, 2003 or Jan. 5th 2004 (Subject to change)
*Opening Day scheduled fo March 4th, 2004.

For more info, go here: http://disney.go.com/disneycareers/dep/index.html

Please note that auditions are ended.

I also heard somewhere it's going to have a very contemporary. I for one am looking forward to it.

GoldenEars
11-01-2003, 10:54 PM
Did you know that Disney put on a live stage show of SW back in 1987 at the Videopolis Stage (now Fantasyland Theatre)? It was callded *Snow White's Golden Anniversary* stage show. It was celebrating SW 50th anniversary. Infact, I have a very good video copy of the show and watched it the other day.

Let's hope that after 17 years, this new version of SW will be MUCH better! Don't get me wrong, the show back then was really good, for it's time. It had a very contempary feel to it, but what's really the funniest part of the whole show was when some of the guys came out and had leg warmers on over their dance costumes (pants) for one of the numbers. Some wore red, blue and green, over their yellow pants! Scary, LOL!!:D

I remember the female who played SW was absolutely terrific in her role and had a beautiful voice! And the Prince was pretty darn cute too!:p

I'm really looking forward to this version of SW and can't wait to finally sit at that theatre and see a *REAL* show now! It's been too long and it's about time they put something at that theatre that is worthy enough to be there.

As much as I enjoy seeing *Aladdin* at DCA. I'm getting tired of it and want to see something with more romance and a real Disney feel to it. So let's keep our fingers crossed and hope this new show is a total winner! And being that I love Fantasmic! and really enjoyed *Hunchback of Norte Dame*, I have a good feeling about Snow White!

Patrick:D

SnowWhite79
11-03-2003, 02:30 PM
Hi,

I noticed your post earlier today and I sent you a PM. Please read that message and either reply to me here on the messageboard, e-mail me, or private message me.

Thanks,

SnowWhite79

merlinjones
11-03-2003, 03:00 PM
Hey, don't forget "Snow White Live at Radio City Music Hall" which was her Broadway debut (with additional musical meterial) back in the late 70's or early 80's. That was released on video at the dawn of the VHS era. I have the LP.

Crispy
11-03-2003, 05:14 PM
Yes, I remember the "Snow White at Radio City Music Hall" production. It was on the Disney channel severl years ago.

When i was a child i also saw "Snow White on Ice."

Cris