PDA

View Full Version : Tower of Terror Construction Rumors

Pages : [1] 2 3

totbellhop
09-13-2001, 06:15 PM
I've heard a lot of rumors that Tower of Terror construction at the Timon parking lot will start in this month. Have everyone heard something about this, if you know something please let me know.

lisap
09-13-2001, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by totbellhop
I've heard a lot of rumors that Tower of Terror construction at the Timon parking lot will start in this month.

Ick. I can't even stand looking at the title of that attraction. Even though the theme will have nothing to do with what has been going on, do you really think they will let that title remain? Am I being over sensitive?

MickeyMoose15
09-13-2001, 07:07 PM
They may drop the Tower of Terror or they may go ahead with it. I've heard that an All-Star type resort may be placed in the Timon Parking Lot but they are just rumors.

merlinjones
09-13-2001, 09:29 PM
I loved WDW's Tower of Terror, but I feel they are throwing good money after bad in building a copy at DCA. DCA should just be folded into Downtown Disney while the real money is spent to enhance/restore Disneyland. Geyser Mountain would have been the same ride tech but done in a new way for the original park, right? Let's see that instead.

SteveCJB2001
09-13-2001, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by lisap

Ick. I can't even stand looking at the title of that attraction. Even though the theme will have nothing to do with what has been going on, do you really think they will let that title remain? Am I being over sensitive?

No I don't think you are being over sensative. The title of the attraction is one at this point in time that will bring a lot of emotion to people even though it has nothing to do with everything going on. I think maybe down the road the title can work but right now I just think it would be a bad choice for Disney to even announce anytime around right now.

hbquikcomjamesl
09-14-2001, 10:40 AM
If they're going to tear out the Timon parking lot, then they should put in a west coast version of The Great Movie Ride. Plain and simple. The Tower of Terror should be a Florida-only attraction.

Nigel2
09-14-2001, 10:51 AM
I am guessing you mean another version of the GMR, that would just make some of the people gripe again since DCA lacks many "original" attractions, or attraction types. Its funny at the DCA and DLR you dont see the super long attractions that you see at WDW, for example Universe of energy is like a 30 minute attraction. GMR is another long attraction, and the Backlot tram is also long if you consider that it has all those elements to it. Thats what we need a slow attraction that takes a ton of time to do so you can relax for a while and sleep if its a dull attraction.

hbquikcomjamesl
09-14-2001, 01:42 PM
I am guessing you mean another version of the GMR, that would just make some of the people gripe again since DCA lacks many "original" attractions, or attraction types

What else would I have meant?:confused:

And how would a GMR be any different from a TOT in this respect? GMR would have the advantage that unlike TOT, it has few if any restrictions on who can ride, and it would not simply be adding another thrill ride to a park that's got too many thrill rides already. It's a ride where the plucky tourguide triumphs over the 1920s gangster/old west outlaw who commandeers (note that I did not say the "h-word") the "rolling theatre." Instead of depending on throwing the guests around physically, the thrills are all done with a good, well-written-and-acted dramatic production.

I have little doubt that when I return to Florida in November of 2002 (assuming that a west coast TOT doesn't materialize before then), and I finally do find time for TOT, I'll still prefer GMR.

JRob2k1
09-14-2001, 01:53 PM
Oh, so you've never been on TOT!? Dont knock it until you tried it.

GMR is decent, but it's getting old, run-down, and out-dated...I would prefer TOT any day of the week. And as a thrill ride, its considerably tame compared to the same style of rides. Its not that tallest, its not the fastest...But it has a story and theming that cant be matched. That's something you cant say for much of DCA, and I would like to see TOT in DCA.

Nigel2
09-14-2001, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl

(note that I did not say the "h-word")

I must be out of coffe, which "h-word were you refering too? I liked the great movie ride, but it seems a little dated, they could honestly get rid of the Bob Fossee part, its just a bunch of manaqeuins on a turntable! They could improve the scenes a little, like add more realism to the scenes, change some of the dialouge. Only thing I could see that would hamper any form of the GMR coming here is the rumors of Disney/MGM Studios droping the MGM part. Or would the rides be the same, I know that if MGM pulls out completely from the park the movie montage from the end would be different since alot of the movies are MGM in there.

mad4mky
09-14-2001, 02:15 PM
TOT is my favorite ride at WDW. It's fun, exciting and full of surprises if you have never been on it before.

And I do enjoy The Great Movie Ride.

At first I was excited to hear that TOT might be coming to DCA...but now. I'm not so sure. Something new and unique to the park would be good. Because if they keep repeating rides at WDW and DLR, I will have no reasons to go back to WDW...and that means Disney will lose some of my money (and I work hard for this money...and its a lot more expensive for me to go to Florida)....And I thoroughly enjoyed WDW. I could totally get emersed in the whole Disney world back there.

But, if they keep duplicating rides, I'll just stay here in our Golden State...and keep my hard earned dollars in the state I live in. Our save it up to go to Tokyo or Paris one day.

MickeyD
09-14-2001, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Nigel2

I must be out of coffe, which "h-word were you refering too?

I think he means the one that has a similar meaning to commandeer but is something a terrorist would do.

hbquikcomjamesl
09-14-2001, 03:06 PM
I think he means the one that has a similar meaning to commandeer but is something a terrorist would do.

. . . and sounds like a greeting one might say to somebody named John, Jacob, Jacques, or similar.

Nigel2
09-14-2001, 03:17 PM
Thank You, the thing that always made me wonder on that ride is why he (are there female outlaws on that ride?) never mentions anything about holding up the tram? I always wondered, are the vehicles actually being driven by the guides, or is it like the jungle cruise meets universe of energy?

totbellhop
09-14-2001, 04:13 PM
I've heard another rumor that Tower of Terror will not be build in Hollywood Pictures Backlot, instead it will be built behind the Pacific Wharf, also in the Timon Parkong Lot. I will be themed to a seaside hotel. Maybe if they decide to make this instead of the Hollywood Tower, it'll be a very different concept.
Do anyone of you know about this?

Nigel2
09-14-2001, 09:44 PM
Probably not, since the whole theme was a hotel in HW, and doesn't Rod Serling say that it is in that city, which would mean more money spent to make the video different, also it really doesn't fit in with that area, if it were an earthquake then it might work, but since it isn't it would probably fit better in HPB.

Andrew
09-14-2001, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Nigel2
Probably not, since the whole theme was a hotel in HW, and doesn't Rod Serling say that it is in that city, which would mean more money spent to make the video different, also it really doesn't fit in with that area, if it were an earthquake then it might work, but since it isn't it would probably fit better in HPB.

Only a portion of the voiceover for the intro video is actually archival Rod Serling audio. The rest is done by another voice actor, and could easily be redone if necessary.

Nigel2
09-14-2001, 10:13 PM
I thought he said the location in the video. Oh well, I hope they dont attach a hotel, hopefull its just a silly rumor.

totbellhop
09-15-2001, 10:29 AM
I've also heard that the Pacific Wharf's Tower of Terror name could be Monterey Tower Hotel, SILLY name, but it could be water involved, sounds very untrue for me, I like the Hollywood Tower Hotel more.

thamnarestan
09-15-2001, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by totbellhop
I've heard a lot of rumors that Tower of Terror construction at the Timon parking lot will start in this month. Have everyone heard something about this, if you know something please let me know.

Well I haven't heard any rumors but I did notice a couple days ago that portions of the Timon parking lot have been closed off and blocked by construction fences.

I don't think that there's anything wrong with the name Tower of Terror. Though it does sound awful at this moment, I'm sure that by the time the attraction opens we'll be out of the grieving process and won't have a problem with it.

merlinjones
09-15-2001, 03:53 PM
>>I don't think that there's anything wrong with the name Tower of Terror. Though it does sound awful at this moment, I'm sure that by the time the attraction opens we'll be out of the grieving process and won't have a problem with it.<<

I'm afraid the coming war may not result in the usual media-quick "healing and grieving" process.

By the time this is over we may not want much to do with "Terror" (not just the "Tower") at all.

Perhaps traditional Disney fantasy/escapism would be a better investment.

Horror we have.

Darkbeer
09-15-2001, 04:09 PM
So long as they don't decide to replace with the Slingshot ride at Six Flags Magic Mountain, and soon to be at Knott's.... (Jim Hill of LaughingPlace reported this week that Disney is buying one of those rides for WDW...)

I can see how some people would not want to ride a ride that dealt with a falling/collapsing building/elevator.

As merlinjones stated, maybe something else would be better, but please let the WED people come up with something, even if they borrow or retheme a TDS "E" ticket ride instead of buying something off the shelf from another ride manufacturer.

no1here
09-15-2001, 05:54 PM
I think I will shift the rumor from being TOT to Rockin Rollercoaster. That would be cool...

And FYI there is no Fosse tribute in the Great Movie Ride, I think they meant to say Busby Berkley.

Nigel2
09-15-2001, 05:58 PM
AAARRRGHHHH I hate how people are overly sensitive about the name, its just a name people! The idea behind the tower? A (possible) trip through the 5th dimention followed by a terrorifying 13 story fall. Thats why it is given that name, it was named before the incident, its one thing if they came up with that name right after what happend but they didn't. Sorry for the rant, I am just really ticked off since some people made traffic a nightmare by standing on a street corrner and getting all the cars to honk, making everyone one drive super slow.

DisneyFreak2000
09-15-2001, 09:13 PM
First off, don't press your luck. We should be greatful that we're going to get an E-ticket out here that is as brilliant as TOT. I doubt we will get anything original soon because we need QUICK fixes for DCA and TOT just seems that it would be perfect for the Hollywood section. Just be careful what you wish for, because TOT is the best we're gonna get right now and if they take that away from us we're stuck with Bug Town.