PDA

View Full Version : I got a call from Disneyland today

Pages : [1] 2

MagicB4Money
10-28-2003, 06:12 PM
So I spent about 30 minutes filling out a complaint and compliment form at City Hall 2 weeks ago, and I got a call on my answering machine from Linda at Disneyland today. I will call her back tomorrow. Besides repeating my concerns (paint, lights, CM attitude, Pirates & Mansion closed, etc) what else should I tell her or ask her about? Are there any comments or questions you guys want me to include? I guess she will offer me free passes? We won't be able to go back for about a year. Would love suggestions. Is there a standard response I should expect to hear? Thanks!

Cadaverous Pallor
10-28-2003, 06:18 PM
Monorail.

Rallymonkey23
10-28-2003, 06:21 PM
Tommorrowland.

Freerider127
10-28-2003, 06:45 PM
Tommorowland for sure.

HBTiggerFan
10-28-2003, 07:12 PM
Tomorrowland, Monorail, the overall patethic state of DL.

Just so you are aware, the phone call is Disneys neat little trick to not have a paper trail of complaints/responces. There's no record of what was said/promised.

wendybeth
10-28-2003, 07:38 PM
Monorail- I just booked rooms at an offsite hotel because of the decline in resort amenities. The monorail was nice to take at the end of a long day; I can't see paying that kind of money and having to walk all the way through DTD when there are hotels that are closer and cheaper. Besides, the Monorail is one of the main symbols of Disneyland and needs to be maintained!!!!

jerjer2005
10-28-2003, 07:49 PM
With a new resort president on the horizon you never know what will happen. we may start seeing improvments imediately (depending on where his main focus is) concerning the phone call. Theres not much Disney can do about closed atractions. On in web site by disney or any literature by disney you will see that it always states that ride operating times may vary. closed rides dont constitute for returned admission in my view, as there are lists of the closed attractions on disneyland.com

MagicB4Money
10-28-2003, 08:13 PM
Great suggestion about Monorail. Such an icon that is being neglected. I waved at poor little Monorail Orange every time it limped above my head.

As for closed rides---believe me, Pirates and Mansion were not on the refurb list 2 weeks ago. And I understand about unforeseen problems---but Pirates was down for several hours each of three days. From reading this site, these closures during the day are becoming more and more frequent and are evidence of widespread maintenance problems. Just curious if free passes are the cure-all and answer to all their complaints.

jerjer2005
10-28-2003, 08:28 PM
as far as i hear disney is becoming more stingy with there free passes and they would prefer to throw some buttons at you

merlinjones
10-28-2003, 09:39 PM
Space Mountain - thanks for painting, keep it white!

Tomorrowland - general appearance and lack of rides, either new or classic! Back to ultramodern!

Monorail - need new ones now!

Submarine Voyage - get it open again!

Rocket jets - back up high!

Skyway - want it back!

PeopleMover - Want it back!

Tiki Room - clean it up!!

Golden Horseshoe Revue - bring it back!

Tahitian Terrace/Polynesian Revue - bring it back!

Adventure Thru Inner Space - Bring it back!

Sleeping Beauty Castle - get it open again!

Swiss Family Robinson - bring 'em back to their treehouse!

Cascade Peak - bring the waterfall back!

Country Bears - bring 'em back!

Carousel of Progress - back from WDW!

Captain Hook's Pirate Ship - bring it back!

New E ticket in Disneyland! - - When?

LIMANDL4EVA
10-28-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones
Space Mountain - thanks for painting, keep it white!

Tomorrowland - general appearance and lack of rides, either new or classic! Back to ultramodern!

Monorail - need new ones now!

Submarine Voyage - get it open again!

Rocket jets - back up high!

Skyway - want it back!

PeopleMover - Want it back!

Tiki Room - clean it up!!

Golden Horseshoe Revue - bring it back!

Tahitian Terrace/Polynesian Revue - bring it back!

Adventure Thru Inner Space - Bring it back!

Sleeping Beauty Castle - get it open again!

Swiss Family Robinson - bring 'em back to their treehouse!

Cascade Peak - bring the waterfall back!

Country Bears - bring 'em back!

Carousel of Progress - back from WDW!

Captain Hook's Pirate Ship - bring it back!

New E ticket in Disneyland! - - When?
I'll submit all of these ideas immediately...

dasrock
10-29-2003, 12:11 AM
Wifey spoke to someone from disney travel abour our complaints. They said we should receive a letter in the mail. But I'm still going to write someone in disney about my issues.

tiggertoo
10-29-2003, 02:21 AM
Are there any comments or questions you guys want me to include?

YES!

Say this: "There was a GREAT cast member on Autopia. He was very polite and made our day more magical. I believe his name was Gary"

There's a free Autopia souvenir in it for ya'. :p

Nephythys
10-29-2003, 04:54 AM
Merlin has it pegged- his list is a comprehesive list of what would make DL more magical again!:D

Cadaverous Pallor
10-29-2003, 09:11 AM
I'm only going to say this once:

Please do NOT tell them to resurrect dead rides. Tell them to build new ones.

Thank you.

PapiBear
10-29-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
I'm only going to say this once:

Please do NOT tell them to resurrect dead rides. Tell them to build new ones.

Thank you.

Rebuild dead rides. Make Disneyland fun again. Also build new ones.

After all, can we shrink down to microscopic size yet? NO. Did the Carousel of Progress stop moving around the world? NO. Do people no longer need to move? NO.

You'll applaud the restoration and reissue of 60 year old films but NOT request old favorite attractions brought back?

Cadaverous Pallor
10-29-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by PapiBear
You'll applaud the restoration and reissue of 60 year old films but NOT request old favorite attractions brought back? There are other threads about this so I'll keep this short.

It's all about updates. If they "bring back" Innerspace it sure as hell better be a brand new version using the most modern technologies to make an involving ride experience. Anything less is an insult.

Keep tomorrowland focused on tomorrow.

The "60 year old films" comparison is apples and oranges. When I want a current vision of the future, I watch a new movie about the future. When I want a past vision that makes me nostalgic, I watch classic Star Trek. Disneyland should not be a museum.

JeffG
10-29-2003, 10:01 AM
My advice is to stay very focused on your personal experiences during your own visit to the park. Don't go off on tangents related to Internet rumors or second hand reports of problems that you have read about online. Don't try to be a representative for Mousepad or for the Disneyland fan community in general, but instead simply outline where you felt your own experience either excelled or fell short.

I'd also suggest that you try to give a mix of positives and negatives during your conversation. One of the best ways to communicate what you think that Disneyland should be doing is to try to clearly tell them the things you felt that they were >already< doing correctly. Wherever possible, try to precede a negative comment with a positive one (i.e. "My family and I really enjoyed our experience with x and wish that y would have been up to those same standards.")

Most of all, try to keep the conversation constructive and polite. Avoid going into any personal attacks against Disney and Disneyland management or any other types of overly confrontational talk. Keep everything purely from your perspective as a guest.

-Jeff

cstephens
10-29-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by MagicB4Money
So I spent about 30 minutes filling out a complaint and compliment form at City Hall 2 weeks ago, and I got a call on my answering machine from Linda at Disneyland today. I will call her back tomorrow. Besides repeating my concerns (paint, lights, CM attitude, Pirates & Mansion closed, etc) what else should I tell her or ask her about? Are there any comments or questions you guys want me to include? I guess she will offer me free passes? We won't be able to go back for about a year. Would love suggestions. Is there a standard response I should expect to hear? Thanks!

One thing you might want to keep in mind - pick your battles. Your response is probably more likely to make an impression if you have a few main concerns, especially if they are specifically your personal concerns, not a list of other people's concerns. If you give them a laundry list, I'd expect them to be much less receptive to anything you had to say. You have an opportunity to make your concerns heard. I'd go with that.

experiment626
10-29-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by MagicB4Money
guess she will offer me free passes?
Is this why you complained? to get something "free" out of it? This is a big pet peeve of mine, people who lodge complaints either to get something free or complain that they didn't get something for their complaint.

PapiBear
10-29-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
It's all about updates. If they "bring back" Innerspace it sure as hell better be a brand new version using the most modern technologies to make an involving ride experience. Anything less is an insult.

No question. There's a way to bring back a certain level of nostalgic charm of the past attraction while still keeping the overall concept and thematic idea viable. I have absolutely no problem with a totally updated version of ATIS, in fact, I think that'd be MEGA-COOL.

Keep tomorrowland focused on tomorrow.

Indeed! But just because an attraction is from the past, doesn't mean it's out-of-date or invalid AS A CONCEPT THAT REINFORCES THE OVERALL THEME OF THE LAND IT'S IN.

The "60 year old films" comparison is apples and oranges. When I want a current vision of the future, I watch a new movie about the future. When I want a past vision that makes me nostalgic, I watch classic Star Trek. Disneyland should not be a museum.

I agree in general theory, that Disneyland shouldn't be a museum, but in a way, it is - witness Main Street and Frontierland. If those aren't at least partly museum-like....

But in regards to Tomorrowland, yes, I agree, it's somewhat counter-thematic to promote the concept of "the future" by displaying past visions of "the future", which are appealing for a variety of reasons.

What I'm in support of is not necessarily a retro-style execution of outdated concepts of "the future" (although that'd be kinda nice in a way), but rather updated versions of some of these past attractions. At the same time, I think it might not be a terrible idea for Disney to consider building another park where all or many of its older attraction concepts go to retire, very much like the Yesterland website. It'd be an acknowledgement that, while some of these attractions didn't work in the Magic Kingdom or simply became outdated, guests could still experience them as if it were new. Disney exploits the concept of nostalgia in various ways already - Main Street, Disney-MGM Studios, Hollywood Backlot. Why not devote an entire theme park to Disney theme park nostalgia? I think it could work.

That said, I think some of the attraction concepts like Mission to Mars and ATIS could be revisited, since they're still viable concepts. The outdated technological execution wouldn't fly today with modern audiences and would appeal only to comparatively limited market, but the IDEA is still very much futuristic and can be expanded, improved, and updated. I see absolutely nothing wrong with this. Same goes for the CircleVision 360 motion picture technology. Sure, the projectors have now been pulled out of the old theater, and it's being refurbished with the only-thinly-connected-to-the-concept-of-the-future Buzz Lightyear attraction (which is what, exactly, a dark ride?), but the concept of a CircleVision 360 theater isn't out of date - CircleVision cameras are still being manufactured new. This is also a technology that, while not particularly bleeding-edge new, hasn't been exploited by the mainstream entertainment industry at large, so new films can be made and enhancements to the theater can be added (such as individual swivel chairs, digital sound, even 3-D). Disney simply wasn't thinking as forward as they could be in regards to it.

Then again, there are other concepts to advance, such as real, authentic futuristic technology showcases (and not just the latest computer gadgetry from whatever corporate sponsor). The high-speed rail transportation concept called Magplane (http://www.magplane.com) certainly would be right at home with Disney, since it's related to monorail technology (which still is only beginning to be exploited). Nanotechnology also is a great field that can inspire an attraction (heck, maybe even the updated version of ATIS). There's also the future of medicine to consider. In any case, Tomorrowland should be a land where science and technology are showcased, both in educational and in strictly fun ways.

I agree that Tomorrowland is a place intended to display the wonder and possibility of the future, but in lieu of absolutely NOTHING which is inspiring or enriching, I'd rather take a step backward to a time when we WERE awed by the possibilities of "the future" than walking around a big empty lot, eating pizzas, playing in fountains, driving controlled-track cars (that's another thing; you want to talk "outdated concepts", the Autopia is certainly an outdated ride concept that needs SERIOUS revision), riding a dark roller coaster and going on a Star Wars-themed flight simulator yet again.

merlinjones
10-29-2003, 01:33 PM
Let's get back to the PapiBear Necessities!:D

JazzBaby
10-29-2003, 01:57 PM
Bring Dana Daniels and the Golden Horseshoe Variety Show back!

Gemini Cricket
10-29-2003, 02:59 PM
Do something/anything with the Festival of Fools area. It's enticing to see it from the train, but ya can't go there, can ya?
:D

wendybeth
10-29-2003, 03:33 PM
Exp.626-
Magic was simply wondering if that would be the expected "cure-all" response from the folks at Disney; I do not believe that was the motivation for the complaint. Not everyone is out for a buck or a freebie; some people would just appreciate an apology and an explanation, if possible. If I went to the parks and had as lousy a time, I doubt free passes would make me feel better about my experience, considering the passes are the least expensive aspect for most people traveling to Disneyland.....