PDA

View Full Version : Innoventions closing at Disneyland March 31

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

AVP
03-06-2015, 10:16 AM
Captain America, Thor and ASIMO were served with eviction notices this week, when Disney notified cast members that Innoventions will be closing on March 31. The company says "new plans" are under development for the space, but did not provide any additional details.

The lower floor of Innoventions closed in late January. Rumors suggest the building may be temporarily used for a 60th anniversary museum during Disneyland's upcoming celebration, and then demolished to make way for a new attraction.

corona
03-06-2015, 10:53 AM
It it definite that the Captain America & Thor meet 'n greets will end on 3/31?

Pammer
03-06-2015, 11:52 AM
"Eviction notices"...hehehe; good one AVP! :D

The meet & greets are pretty popular; it would be surprising that they don't get moved somewhere else (closing before Easter too, hmmmm).

olegc
03-06-2015, 12:56 PM
with the Tomorrowland Movie preview - and designed experience space for Starcade being used - where would the heroes go? DCA? or maybe they just go on hiatus and come back when Avengers: Age of Ultron gets put in as a preview at Magic Eye theater (no announcements have been made, its pure speculation). For now - there's no other space they can be installed in (especially while Olaf owns Stage 17 right now).

Gone2Disneyland
03-06-2015, 01:25 PM
with the Tomorrowland Movie preview - and designed experience space for Starcade being used - where would the heroes go? DCA? or maybe they just go on hiatus and come back when Avengers: Age of Ultron gets put in as a preview at Magic Eye theater (no announcements have been made, its pure speculation). For now - there's no other space they can be installed in (especially while Olaf owns Stage 17 right now).

Tomorrowland opens in theatres two weeks after Avengers: Age of Ultron. So technically, Avengers should get previewed before Tomorrowland. But I've a feel the Avengers sequel has got a good chance of being on folks' radar these days and doesn't need a preview. :p If the entire Innoventions building is getting closed up, I really can't figure out where they'd re-locate Marvel heroes in the parks now. The Starcade maybe, tho' it seems too small. And a Marvel invasion in Hollywood Land seems like a conflict now with Disney's focus on Frozen branding there for at least until the Mad Tea Party returns in the summer. But those are the only two spots that come to mind imo.

olegc
03-06-2015, 01:38 PM
Tomorrowland opens in theatres two weeks after Avengers: Age of Ultron. So technically, Avengers should get previewed before Tomorrowland. But I've a feel the Avengers sequel has got a good chance of being on folks' radar these days and doesn't need a preview. :p If the entire Innoventions building is getting closed up, I really can't figure out where they'd re-locate Marvel heroes in the parks now. The Starcade maybe, tho' it seems too small. And a Marvel invasion in Hollywood Land seems like a conflict now with Disney's focus on Frozen branding there for at least until the Mad Tea Party returns in the summer. But those are the only two spots that come to mind imo.

you're right about the radar thing - though fanboys (and girls) still want to see their heroes and those sets they are using are not simple walls. I know there are rumors of where they will go long term - but in the meantime though they don't need previews that synergy thing is important. I was thining they may put them at Stage 17 in may - but Olaf's looks like it still has legs so I wonder if they will continue with it in summer - or will it end when Mad T Party comes back. If Frozen Fun all goes away then Stage 17 is the only thing they have.

Of course - thinking outside the box - you could install one of those semi-permanent tents (solid top, fabric sides), theme it, cover it up, and place meet and greets there. I guess the speculation could be endless. but I will stop now.

SgtTibbs
03-06-2015, 03:05 PM
That's a good chunk of real estate the Imagineers will have to play with. Have fun boys! Make us something great!

cstephens
03-06-2015, 03:58 PM
I bet that's where they're going to put Star Wars Land!

How about a mini Spaceship Earth?

Oooo, wait, how about a mini Spaceship Earth inside but it looks like a Death Star from the outside?

candles71
03-06-2015, 04:42 PM
I bet that's where they're going to put Star Wars Land!

How about a mini Spaceship Earth?

Oooo, wait, how about a mini Spaceship Earth inside but it looks like a Death Star from the outside?
Wiping water off my phone. ;)

AVP
03-06-2015, 04:59 PM
It it definite that the Captain America & Thor meet 'n greets will end on 3/31?Not at all, but they won't be inside Innoventions. We've asked Disney for more information, and received the usual "we have nothing more to announce at this time" response.

AVP

AVP
03-06-2015, 05:00 PM
Oooo, wait, how about a mini Spaceship Earth inside but it looks like a Death Star from the outside?With a loop.

Drince88
03-06-2015, 05:34 PM
The inside of Spaceship Earth isn't a very good fit into Tomorrowland, IMHO.

TTFN92
03-06-2015, 06:11 PM

Agreed.

Nightwing
03-06-2015, 08:00 PM
If they move Marvel over to DCA after Frozen melts shortly. Keep thinking they may want to keep Tomorrowland for Tomorrowland. Due to how they have kept the movie so tight for so long. And that its the 60 of Disneyland not Marvel.

cstephens
03-07-2015, 07:58 AM

Not really sure what the theming in Tomorrowland really is supposed to be anymore. They brought Captain Eo back as a retro thing. Even Buzz Lightyear doesn't really fit because he's a toy that exists in the present. Autopia? Ummm, ok. Most of the stuff that had been inside Innoventions wasn't very futuristic. And the 80z All Starz play at Tomorrowland Terrace all the time. But then, no one took me seriously about Spaceship Earth, right?

Nightwing
03-07-2015, 08:52 AM
Even the first time to Disneyland in 74. Tomorowland felt to be a bit... Well slightly disappointing. :(

Need to check but the color scheme from some of the pictures. Look like maybe the same colors from the few camera shots from the Tomorrowland movie coming out.

TTFN92
03-07-2015, 02:00 PM

Not really sure what the theming in Tomorrowland really is supposed to be anymore. They brought Captain Eo back as a retro thing. Even Buzz Lightyear doesn't really fit because he's a toy that exists in the present. Autopia? Ummm, ok. Most of the stuff that had been inside Innoventions wasn't very futuristic. And the 80z All Starz play at Tomorrowland Terrace all the time. But then, no one took me seriously about Spaceship Earth, right?

I know people say Autopia doesn't fit but it does for kids. It's their tomorrow. I do think it needs an update but I hope they don't get rid of it. As for EO, I think it fits because living in space is something for tomorrow. I do think it needs to be retired though and I am one who actually likes it. It has lived a good life. I like Buzz there. I've only been on Spaceship Earth once about 8 yrs ago so I'm going off of memory, but don't you go thru the different time periods of the earth? If I'm remembering correctly, it doesn't fit. I don't even know how America Sings fit even though I thought it was a great attraction and miss it.

D15
03-07-2015, 08:24 PM
I'll go out on a total limb here and say that IMO the building would be very cool made up to look like the robotics lab at SFIT from Big Hero 6... just throwing that out there :)

Nightwing
03-07-2015, 08:54 PM
I'll go out on a total limb here and say that IMO the building would be very cool made up to look like the robotics lab at SFIT from Big Hero 6... just throwing that out there :)

Good idea! ^_^

cstephens
03-08-2015, 09:16 AM
We went inside Innoventions yesterday just to look around. We stared down at the closed first floor which is empty and partly gutted, from what we could see. I still think the space used for games that people can play is a complete waste of space. I glanced at some of the Iron Man tech stuff. I did take a longer look at some of the items in the Thor: Treasures of Asgard exhibit and lamented again that you can't really get a very good look at the cool stuff they have because it's just in the queue to meet Thor, especially the really cool stuff in the room where you're transporting to Asgard. I really wish they'd displayed that stuff in a way where you could just stand and look at it instead of just getting a fleeting glance. Oh well. Won't miss Innoventions and looking forward to something better taking residence.

ChipnDalefan
03-08-2015, 09:20 AM
We went in on our trip this past week. I'd actually never been in the building in our two previous trips. We hung around and met Captain America and that was about our highlight of being in that building. I'm a huge video game fan but I don't go to Disneyland to play them so I think that area could go.

AnotherJenny
03-08-2015, 12:12 PM
I think Disney should just start selling VR helmets that you can wear in Tomorrowland. You want Star Wars? We'll show you Star Wars. You want Marvel? Push the red button and the Star Wars melts away. You want a thrill ride? Stand over here and move your hear side to side quickly.

MidwayManiac
03-08-2015, 01:41 PM
Innoventions is closing? Each time I see this thread title my first thought is of Jerry Seinfeld's tongue-in-cheek "That's a shame."

danyoung
03-09-2015, 10:48 AM
I don't even know how America Sings fit even though I thought it was a great attraction and miss it.

There's absolutely no reason for AS to be in Tomorrowland, other than that it took advantage of a previously built structure in the Carousel building. There wasn't the slightest thing futuristic about a history of American music. It was a fun attraction, but it so didn't belong in Tomorrowland!

Man in Street
03-09-2015, 10:48 AM
That's not surprising.

Cnsidering how many attractions Tomorrowland has gone through, maybe Disneyland can turn Innoventions into a homage to those attractions for the anniversary.