PDA

View Full Version : Indy 20th anniversary event details for March 3

Pages : [1] 2

AVP
03-03-2015, 02:33 PM
For those going tonight or tomorrow, here are some highlights:

There is a panel discussion with Tony Baxter and Tim O'Day at the Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree at 9:00 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. Seating is limited, so arrive at least 20 minutes before each panel.

Fantasmic is at 11:30 p.m., and there is no Fastpass distribution.

The following rides are open:

Indy
Jungle Cruise
Tiki Room
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Haunted Mansion
Pirates of the Caribbean
Disneyland Railroad - stopping only in New Orleans Square and Main Street, USA.

There do not appear to be any character meet-and-greet areas open, which isn't a total surprise.

Have fun everyone - be sure to tag @MousePlanet or #MousePlanet in your Twitter, Facebook and Instagram photos so we can share them with other readers.

cstephens
03-03-2015, 04:19 PM
Because it's me, you know I have to ask this question - anything about special food items or open food locations?

lifeisgood
03-03-2015, 07:58 PM
Restaurants and food carts in the 3 lands are open. And I was told that Starbucks on Main Street would be open until the end of the event, too.

tea4two
03-03-2015, 08:01 PM
How are the crowds and the lines?

Engine74
03-03-2015, 08:45 PM
Sounds like it will be fun tomorrow night. The AP event last week was good everything was a walk on but Fantasmic! was the most crowded time of the night.

olegc
03-03-2015, 10:04 PM
How are the crowds and the lines?

Well, I was not there - but it seems to be VERY sparse.
See this instagram post - smallest amount of people to watch Fantasmic in a long time
https://instagram.com/p/zy-IIUI2nt/

As for other things...
Also, from other Instagram and Twitter posts (#APevent) there appears to be an acrobat walking on a smaller version of the boulder (balancing I guess), some sort of action scene between Indy and a bad guy on what appears to be the Tarzan bridge, and a jazz band wearing fez hats and vests. The pic of the handout did not mention any special food or merchandise.

Apparently free Jungle pith-style hats (not very sturdy) were handed out at the exit of Jungle cruise.

See you all there tomorrow night if you are going to Wed's version. Now if I can only find my 10th anniversary shirt....

lifeisgood
03-03-2015, 10:34 PM
Everything walk on for us except Indy. There were a lot of people in line, but it was moving. There was a line for jungle cruise, but we skipped that one.

lifeisgood
03-03-2015, 10:36 PM
They were giving away straw pith helmet style hats. We waited in line, but they ran out right before we got to the front. Oh well.

There was a live band playing between jungle and Indy. And a little battle between Indy and a bad guy acted out up in tarzans treehouse.

lifeisgood
03-03-2015, 11:24 PM
They gave us an "Official Alphabet of Mara Commemorative Decoder" when we checked in. Since the line at Indy was moving, we didn't really have time to decipher the writings on the walls, but we took photos to look at later. I remember receiving a paper with the cypher on it when I first rode in 1995 or 1996 (but I had plenty of time to decipher the writings while waiting in line back then!)

I didn't attend the panel discussion. I hope someone reports on that. DD and I were riding by on the railroad when the 2nd one was just starting. It was packed!

I didn't see any special food offerings or special
merch. I asked at a few places about commemorative pins; seems that no one had them. The store in Adventureland said they received some last Thursday and sold out. The CM said it was too bad they didn't have them available starting tonight (apparently a lot of people were asking).

Nightwing
03-03-2015, 11:57 PM
Everything walk on for us except Indy. There were a lot of people in line, but it was moving. There was a line for jungle cruise, but we skipped that one.

The Indy line was long but move very fast!

Nightwing
03-04-2015, 12:07 AM
Did attend the 9PM ones.

Was packed!

Mostly covered the history and not sure now if the Truck is the real deal or made up of parts.

Will post a link to photos when they are uploaded...

Here is a sample...

Yep the guy on the right was Tony Baxter!

Link to the rest...

http://nightwing.smugmug.com/Holidays/2015-03-03-AP-Indianna-Jones/47827023_jPTBBR#!i=3910951880&k=bZPFvxK

olegc
03-04-2015, 08:43 AM
from the descriptions it sounds like they omitted any kind of photo-op with a backdrop or some other "memory maker". That's too bad - it would be a great opportunity to get custom pics with the event logo (and no, that little white sign should not count).

olegc
03-04-2015, 10:39 AM
t-shirt at disneystore.com
http://www.disneystore.com/disney-parks-special-events/mn/1009902/?CMP=DTPM-CMR&att=PARKS_Indy20_DLRFacebook&CMP=SOC-FBPAGE20150303194032

Nightwing
03-04-2015, 03:50 PM
from the descriptions it sounds like they omitted any kind of photo-op with a backdrop or some other "memory maker". That's too bad - it would be a great opportunity to get custom pics with the event logo (and no, that little white sign should not count).

Closes like that was part of the path leading into the ride. Really enjoyed the talk and pictures they gave! Cleared up some items and mad new hazy ones.

When I mean the line was moving I mean except for a minute or so was a constant walk to board.

Need to take two pieces of wood to keep the flyer pristine if a next time...

One problem was I forgot to go back to the car for the Juju from last August... >_<

olegc
03-04-2015, 06:59 PM
Tonight the Jungle Cruise hats are for kids only until 1130pm. After that for anyone 1st come 1st served.

Jodi
03-04-2015, 10:36 PM
The JC had a very long wait, as there only seemed to be 2 boats in service, but them we went to Indy, walked on, and when we got to unloading, there was not a single person waiting to get on, so they offered us a second ride! Ok!

The panel discussion was pretty cool, but I wish I had known in advance that I was going to be standing. I might have reconsidered.

olegc
03-05-2015, 06:15 AM
Wed seemed to have more guests based on pics I saw from Tues. As far as standing I guess you stand before in a long line (like I did) so u can sit. Either way lots of standing (especially flying solo).

cstephens
03-05-2015, 08:03 AM
When we walked past the Jungle Cruise around 9:45pm, the attraction was closed but there were still people in line. I don't know how long it had been closed for, but I think it re-opened about 10 minutes later.

We got in line for the 10:30 panel at about 10pm. The line was looped twice at that point. It wasn't totally full because there were at least 2 empty seats right next to me. Really enjoyed seeing the pics and videos, and Tim O'Day and Tony Baxter were hysterical as they bantered back and forth about the "J-word" (aka Jeep). Tim kept freaking out every time Tony said Jeep, even though Tony was referring to the Jeep that he personally owns and drives. I guess it's a legal issue because the ride vehicles are often referred to as Jeeps but they are not actually made by that car company. And it seems that Tim managed to say "troop transport" through the other three panels and then inadvertently said the J-word during our panel, which Tony pointed out to him. Of course, then they showed us a video that had been used to originally advertise or describe (I forget which) the ride, and they said Jeep 4 or 5 times, which Tim and Tony pointedly kept count of.

After the panel was over, we heard Fantasmic start, and we went to see if we could ride Indy, since we hadn't yet. Wait time was 10 minutes, which was basically just however long it took you to walk the length of the queue. As we walked out after we finished, I commented to a friend how weird it was that we went on the ride after Fantasmic had already started, and we did the ride and came back out and Fantasmic wasn't finished yet. That definitely isn't normal.

Speaking of which, as we kept walking to exit the park, I commented to the husband and our friend that I thought it was odd that we could still hear Fantasmic so clearly even though we were right by the Tiki Room. They both said that yes, it's normal for that, and that you can even hear it from the hub and part of Main Street. I said I'd never heard that before, and they both commented that normally there are too many people around talking and such, so you can't hear it, but with as empty as it was at that point (5 or 10 minutes until midnight) with the special event, there really wasn't any other noise around.

Had a good time last night.

olegc
03-05-2015, 08:37 AM
Last night I got in line for JC at 750pm hoping to get on quickly and get a hat. The CM at the front told us that the ride was down right now and they did not know when it would be up, and that the hats were for kids until 1130pm. I waited 10 more minutes then left to go do something else and decided to hit the line for the presentation (which i agree was great). so I don't know for sure but if it never came back that would be 2 hours of closure.

The video cstephens saw where they said Jeep a lot was the 1 inch scale model video drive through. Its really neat - essentially taking a camera so that its a guest POV ride through of each model scene. Some places were replaced with artwork but for the most part it was model show as you "rode the ride". THe video of Tony driving the prototype "troop transport" in the Valencia warehouse was great. It looked like he almost fell out once.

I know Tony has done a ton of interviews and told stories of great interest - and I hope he writes a book where each chapter has one or two discussions of the major attractions he has been a part of or scene implemented. The stories that come from their experience is always the best thing - and something I have not seen with other Imagineers yet. I know this is OT but I guess with so much work contracted out on a temp basis, and places like Garner Holt used for major attraction implementation, the history lessons throughout WDI are not as deep as they once were. Maybe we'll see more at D23 in August.

Tinkermommy
03-05-2015, 08:45 AM
We had such a great time last night! Arrived about 8. We noticed some odd lights in front of the castle, so we went to see what it was. Turned out to be Lily James and Richard Madden (Cinderella) taking pictures. Oh my goodness, that young lady is beautiful! The area was roped off but lined by guests watching, and she was very gracious about waving to people while they primped her dress for the pictures.

Got right on Thunder, then went to Adventureland. Jungle Cruise was down, as was Indy (ironically), so we went over to Haunted Mansion. By the time we got back, Jungle Cruise was still down, but Indy was working. We were in line for Indy for maybe 20 minutes, but it was fun. JC was still down when we got off (they told us they'd been working on it for over an hour at that point), so we decided to go "early" to wait for the 10:30 Imagineering event. They suggested arriving 20 minutes before. We got there 40 minutes before, and the line had already looped. The people next to us told us they'd been unable to get into the 9 pm showing and stayed in line for the next one, and they weren't near the front. Yikes! We did get in, though, and a wonderful cast member noticed my daughter and I trying to decide where to sit and took us to two empty seats in the second row. PERFECT view! (Thank you, unidentified cast member!)

We really enjoyed the same things mentioned above -- the "J" word bits were quite funny. It was fun seeing all the "vintage" clips -- shot before my daughter was born. When it ended, we went over to Fantasmic, which was just starting. It was WONDERFUL to be able to just walk up and have a perfect view as the show started. Loved it!

They had some fun stuff going on in Adventureland -- live music, an Indiana Jones balancing on a ball, and a live stunt show kind of thing in Tarzan's Treehouse. We only caught the end of that. We kind of wished we'd been able to get on Jungle Cruise at some point, but we have no complaints. It was really fun; the Imagineering event was awesome, and the decoder card was a very nice touch. We're grateful to have been able to participate!

olegc
03-05-2015, 08:59 AM
big ball
big ball
big ball
enslaved children

(ha ha)

Gone2Disneyland
03-05-2015, 09:19 AM
I went with friends last night. Other friends went the night before, and I have to say from their report and some of the posts here, I was not expected much. As it turned out, due to that lower expectation and an abundance of very good timing, we had a great time last night!

After the disorganized fiasco I encountered waiting in long lines and people cutting in lines to get my wristband for the December AP Party, getting last night's wristband was a total breeze! Arriving just before 7pm, there was barely a line and there were no lines into the park. Yeah!

We made very good use of our time in the hour before the AP Event officially started at 8pm. After briefly being distracted with two large lights set up in front of the castle (which I later found out on Instagram that they were there because the leads of the "Cinderella" movie were making a quick visit), we headed to Adventureland. Jungle Cruise was closed when we walked by, so we got on Indy first. The standby time was advertised as 20 minutes, but it was basically a walk on! After that, one of my friends insisted on using her decoder - she'd never been aware of the coded messages on the walls in the queue before until receiving her Indy decoder card tonight - so we spent a few minutes solving the long message at the end of the ride across from the elevator. After that, we walked onto Pirates and then walked right into the Haunted Mansion. Thanks to my friends who were there Tuesday night, I knew about the unannounced Indy "stunt show" happening around 9pm on the Tarzan's Treehouse bridge. So around 8:30p, we left the Mansion and made our way back that way. There was already a crowd in front of the treehouse entrance, and we happened to find a good, unobstructed spot with them. Then, within minutes (it was 8:45p), we heard someone's voice coming through speakers, and up on the bridge was "the villain" talking about Indy. Then he looks down at the crowd and talks to Indy. We look to our left, and there's Indy amongst the crowd, not very far from us. The stunt show was very brief but entertaining for what it was. I found a YT video that shows you the rest of the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4vZiq40oP0

That was from Tuesday night. At the end of our show, Indy actually exit towards us as he entered the crowd. So again, really good timing that we arrived and the entertainment started immediately again. From there, we rode Big Thunder, the longest queue wait of the night at barely 5 minutes. Then one of my friends was in the mood for ice cream, so we walked to Gibson Girl on Main Street and was disappointed to discover it was closed. That's when we noticed how many restaurants were actually shuttered for the event: Coke Corner, Jolly Holiday, Blue Bayou, and Cafe Orleans. Harbour Galley was open and so were the Mint Julep Bar and French Market. The French Market was where we ended up getting some dessert before making our way to Big Thunder Jamboree to see the panel discussion with Tim O'Day and Tony Baxter.

Arriving around 10:15p, we got in a long line that switch backed once before entertain the ranch and continuing into the jamboree area in back. There it looked like all the seats were filled and we were afraid we'd have to stand for the presentation. But I saw three seats in the center section only a few rows from the very back row, so that's where we sat. And again! Within a minute of sitting down, a pre-show video started up. It was an "Eye on the Globe" video featuring archive news footage of the attraction's opening, a Jones day celebration during Disneyland's 40th (?), and interview footage with imagineers about the attraction just after it opened. After it ended, right at 10:30p, O'Day and Baxter were introduced to the stage and we were treated to a fun, lively and entertaining 50 minutes of anecdotes, artwork, photographs and videos of the Indiana Jones Adventure's creation. I'd never heard Baxter speak before, and he was very charming and comfortable on stage, with great stories to tell! My friends and I agreed this was the best thing of the AP Event!

On our way out, Fantasmic! had just started. We found an uncrowded spot near the petrified tree and enjoyed our last attraction of the night before heading out. But as we reached City Hall, I remembered the pith helmets that were being handed out tonight. I asked someone where she got hers, and we walked "upstream" against all of the guests leaving LOL to the Jungle Cruise. But they ran out of them by the time got there. But that was no biggie. It was a very fun night with really sparse crowds (I wonder if that's due to feedback from the Tuesday night experience and word that there were no new/any character meet and greets). We had a great time and were glad we went. (Cue Indiana Jones theme here)

olegc
03-05-2015, 10:43 AM
i guess lines were a little longer after the 1st discussion - but not by much.

the event announcement on the AP site did say that the west side of the park was what was going to be open (including all food carts and restaurants) - and AVP above mentioned Starbucks on Main St - but that was it.

Drince88
03-05-2015, 10:51 AM
We had such a great time last night! Arrived about 8. We noticed some odd lights in front of the castle, so we went to see what it was. Turned out to be Lily James and Richard Madden (Cinderella) taking pictures.
I hope they don't try to sell those pictures as 'in front of Cinderella's Castle - cause they're a few thousand miles off!

Tinkermommy
03-05-2015, 11:42 AM
Forgot to mention...I'd been wondering how they were going to handle the wristband thing since the event started at 8 and the rest of the park closed at 8. It was cold, so most people were wearing long sleeves. We went on Pirates first (forgot about that!) and there was no line. They checked our wristbands as we entered the queue area. But as we rounded the last exterior queue area on the Adventureland side, there were people climbing over the chains to cut the queue. I couldn't figure out why they would do that when there was no line. At the loading area, they had a second wristband check, and they all (maybe 10 total; multiple groups) were made to walk through the boats and exit. What really surprised me was that one group we observed jumping the barrier was a 30-ish woman and two women who appeared to be in their 60s. It kind of surprised me that people would do that! That was our only wristband check of the night.