PDA

View Full Version : "Retreat" -- DL flag-lowering @ sunset

Lani
09-13-2001, 03:34 PM
I remember when I was on Main Street around sunset, when they actually played the Retreat (you can listen to it here (http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/bugle.htm)) during official flag-lowering. I was actually quite impressed.

As with the singing of the National Anthem, you are *supposed* to stand still during Retreat as you face the flag. One thing you might consider doing is making sure to be at the flag pole near about sunset for the ceremony. It's short but patriotic. Check with City Hall to see exactly when it's held (as it changes based on the time of year/when the sun sets).

Dlandmom
09-13-2001, 03:56 PM
Thanks for a great link, Lani! I completely stood still as I listened...even though there was no one else here but me!

Yes, you are supposed to stand still...since we're on the topic, may I just say that it drives me nuts to no end when folks walk, talk, chew gum, etc., when the national anthem is played...my two cents.

Oh, and I forgot to mention...complacency is our most dangerous enemy.

JRob2k1
09-13-2001, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Dlandmom
it drives me nuts to no end when folks walk, talk, chew gum, etc., when the national anthem is played...my two cents.

I totally agree. You see this type of behavior a lot at sporting events. I would like to think that this will change for many weeks to come though...

Alex S.
09-13-2001, 05:44 PM
Well, I cut a lot of slack on this issue at Disneyland. Many of the people in the area are not Americans.

Yes, it would be nice if they were respectful and stood politely while it was happening, but I wouldn't expect them to sing. Many of them may not even realize what the song is, but even then, in many countries it would be viewed as a strange tradition and they may not realize the appropriate response. For many people a national anthem is something you only hear during official state events or during the Olympics.

marron-cream
09-13-2001, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Alex Stroup
Well, I cut a lot of slack on this issue at Disneyland. Many of the people in the area are not Americans.

Yes, but it can be irritating when they expect those around them to bend the rules to accomodate their needs. "Not until the ceremony is over" means just that, and just because you're from a foreign country doesn't mean I'm going to show disrespect to my country's flag so you can save two minutes.

PhilMP
09-13-2001, 10:12 PM
I hate it when people come up to me to buy popcorn or something while the National Anthem is playing and I'm paying my respects to the country. What makes me even angrier is that many of these people are American.

I see at sporting events a group of obnoxious fans who don't pay their proper respects. While the entire section can be quiet and respectful, they can be laughing and talking and moving around and not paying any attention whatsoever. I take it as an insult to all those who worked to ensure that the Anthem can be played at a sporting event.

Perhaps the events over the past couple days will encourage more respect towards our country. However, if anybody comes up to my Popcorn or Churro wagon while the Anthem's playing, I'll go through my usual routine of ignoring them.

Phil

Nigel2
09-13-2001, 10:42 PM
Hey speaking of ignoring guests, what if you ignored someone and they stormed off to city hall, and reported you not serving them, but they didn't include the part about the Anthem playing? Plus what if the guest speaks limited english, and they cant see that the flag ceremony is going on? Or is it just limited to the area that flag is in? Also do the trains stop if the ceremony is going on due to the noise?

Morrigoon
09-14-2001, 12:26 AM
As I recall from filing guest compliments, you are asked approximately what time the incident happened. If a CM was confronted by a guest complaint, they could point to the time and say "I stood still during the flag ceremony and apologized to the guest afterwards"
A small gesture towards the ceremony going on would help the guest understand what was going on. If you really want them to know what you're doing - SING the anthem while you watch. In fact, do that anyway!

blusilva
09-14-2001, 11:04 AM
I often make a point of being on Main Street near City Hall for the retreat ceremony. I know I'm all cornball, but sometimes it brings tears to my eyes. It is one of my favorite things in the Park and one of the details that keeps me coming back.

AVP
09-14-2001, 02:20 PM
Just an FYI -

Disneyland will be holding the flag retreat ceremony at 6:20 all this weekend. The fireworks scheduled for this weekend have been cancelled.

Adrienne VP

cstephens
09-14-2001, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by AVP
The fireworks scheduled for this weekend have been cancelled.

That's too bad. I think a little magic would do us all some good right about now. I'm also feeling this desire to see the Fourth of July extra fireworks and song right about now.

marron-cream
09-14-2001, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by cstephens

That's too bad. I think a little magic would do us all some good right about now. I'm also feeling this desire to see the Fourth of July extra fireworks and song right about now.

Well, I heard from a lead today that there are no fireworks because the FAA considers them an explosive and that's not something they want in the skies right now.

AVP
09-14-2001, 10:29 PM
I heard something similar, only that the fireworks were cancelled because they go "boom". It's only for this weekend. Also, apparently an "explosion" sound effect in DCA's Goofy's Beach Blast show was changed to a very cartoony "boooiiinnnggg" sound.

I agree with you on the fireworks, though - I was honestly hoping that the fireworks were called off so they could re-tool to run the 4th of July version.

Adrienne VP

karl
09-15-2001, 09:06 PM
I hope they do run the July 4 fireworks overlay in the coming weeks.

- Karl

cstephens
09-16-2001, 08:09 AM
Though it's simply a rumour, I heard from a friend that they may indeed be substituting some sort of "patriotic" version of the fireworks for the regular Believe show in the coming weeks. Whether that's the new Fourth of July version or some other version entirely is unclear. Of course, nothing is confirmed anyway.