PDA

View Full Version : Downtown Disney Treat or Treat Street (10/26/03)

fredc
10-27-2003, 08:23 AM
The Disneyland Resort did a great job advertising the new Trick or Treat Street on Sunday from 2pm to 5pm, but completely underestimated the publics response. We arrived at the West tram stop with Grandchildren and friends at about 2:10 on Sunday. The line for “checking in” was already out of sight. The “check in” stations were not mentioned in the advertising and were giving out an orange card needed to enter any of the individual trick or treat station lines. It stretched from west of the bakery all the way to the eastern tram area and was moving at a snails pace.

My kids took a look at the line and decided not to check in. So we wandered westward through Downtown Disney. By now the lines at each of the Trick or treat stations (about 20 or so) were all fairly long and you would have to spend hours just waiting in lines to get your treats. Luckily Build a Bear was giving out treats without a line and the pumpkin patch picture spot had a short line so we had a crowded but nice time with our grandkids.

By the time we left at 3:15. We waked back to the parking garage and there were signs up claiming that the event was over!! Disneyland drive and the roads around Downtown Disney were one big parking lot.

My guess was that there was 3 to 4 times the number of guests that they expected. If anyone has actual numbers I would like to hear them.

Sheila
10-27-2003, 09:12 PM
Well, if this doesn't finally wake up the Disney executives to the fact that they could make big money on providing a Disney Halloween experience, nothing will!

I for one would gladly pay to experience a non-scary but still fun Halloween at the Disneyland resort. Although I've been a longtime observer of how Disney executives think, it still baffles me that since they felt they couldn't "own" Halloween 100%, they'd forgot the whole thing. Bizarre thinking.

Sorry to hear Fred that it wasn't such a good experience for your kids! Hopefully, they'll have other Halloween parties and stuff to go to....

Sheila

All That Glitters...
10-27-2003, 10:38 PM
I was there with my 9 year-old son and got the same impression--too much advertising, no realistic expectation of the number of people that would show up. We lucked out when we asked someone where the line was to get the orange card. For some reason, this person had an extra orange card and an extra trick-or-treat bag, so we missed that first huge line.

The lines for the stations were very long and the treats were not extraordianary, although I have to say that my son found them wonderful and enjoyed every one. The "big treat" at the last station (Maleficent) was rumored (even by a Downtown Disney employee who had her daughter there) to be free movie passes to the Haunted Mansion movie turned out to be a $5 card good for games at ESPN Zone.

By the time we reached the end of that line people had apparently become unruly (we didn't see this personally) and one guest told a CM that there should be a security guard for the line and that it was ridiculous. She didn't have much of an answer for him and when he left she looked at me and said, "It's not my fault. I don't even want to be here." She did, indeed, look miserable. Most of the CM's, however, put on a happy face and were very perky for the kids.

I wouldn't have enjoyed the chaos except for the fact that my son was definitely enjoying it. I focused on having fun being with him and looking at all the kids (and many adults as well) in their costumes and had a good time myself. We met some nice people to stand in line with. Lots of the little kids were in hot fuzzy costumes like Pooh and Tigger. One little boy shed his Pooh costume and did his trick-or-treating wearing only his Spiderman BVD's!!!

The event was definitely mishandled and understaffed. Hopefully they will learn something from this year and host another, much more organized, event next Halloween. My son said he would want to go back even if it was exactly like this year. Kids just see things differently. We treated ourselves to a few evening hours at DL afterwards and called the day a grand success!

HBTiggerFan
10-27-2003, 11:05 PM
What kind of treats did they have??

justagrrl
10-28-2003, 07:47 AM
Reported by some friends of ours who visited the park and downtown Disney on 10/26:

The trick or treat event was packed. Overly crowded even. People were angry. They overheard one lady shouting "we waited in line 3 hours for this" and holding up a tiny piece of candy.

They indicated it was very crowded - with long lines at each shop - and seemed pretty unorganized. They had the impression that the DLR wasn't expecting quite that many people to come.

We avoided the DLR thinking that it would be a nightmare. Glad we did.

gliterrboy
10-28-2003, 02:46 PM
Apparently even people high up at DIsney got the word that they were not AT ALL prepaired for this event! this is from the cast portal:

"Thank You to the Cast

Dear fellow Cast Members,

As many of you know, more than twice as many Guests attended Sunday's Trick or Treat Street event at Downtown Disney than we had estimated.

This is the first year we put on this event, and response far exceeded our expectations. We underestimated the popularity of great Disney offerings like this and unfortunately, the overwhelming crowds caused some Guest disappointments. As we plan for future events, there is much we have learned.

Not surprisingly, the response and support by Cast Members from across the Resort who pitched in to help on Sunday was phenomenal, and we thank each of you for your tremendous efforts.

Bryan Wittman
Vice President, Disneyland Resort Special Events "