PDA

View Full Version : An idea for a patriotic gesture

hbquikcomjamesl
09-13-2001, 12:14 PM
I think now would be a very good time to get a crew into CircleVision to put the lean rails back up ASAP, so that they can reopen it for alternate-day showings of ATB and AJ.

I get the feeling that Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln will probably be packed for a while. Along with the Hall of Presidents and The American Experience in Florida.

And hopefully this evening, I'll have time to put together a special avatar of my own.

80S ERA
09-13-2001, 12:21 PM
Great idea. I sure miss AJ, myself. But we're probaly both doing some wishful thinking here. It was mentioned on another post that Disneyland was much more patriotic in the past with attractions like Circlevision, America Sings, and just about the rest of the good ol' tomorrowland! Disneyland in the 70's and 80's made me love our country even more by highlighting its best scenery accompanied with great music.

I guess the only American Journeys I'll be listening to will be on disneylandsource.com

Nigel2
09-13-2001, 12:32 PM
When I was at WDW during mid July their "america" shows and they were packed. I don't think HoP in MK (too many anagrams!!!) is open, or its close to rehab for Shrub's addition. Why on earth would they put those movies in though? Since they show New York in them, and that would bring up memories of NYC, then people would think its in bad taste, blah blah blah, the movies are taken out again and we are back to square one. Forget unecessary nationalism, put in Time Keeper.

marron-cream
09-13-2001, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Nigel2
Forget unecessary nationalism, put in Time Keeper.

I don't think there's such a thing as 'unnecessary nationalism' right now.

zapppop
09-13-2001, 04:20 PM
AJ or ATB would be better than just empty dead space. People have been requesting that CircleVision return.

Americans right now are feeling very patriotic and it would be a big hit.

I think it's a great idea hbquikcomjamesl.

( dude, you gotta do something with that name ! How about Quik-James ?)

Nigel2
09-13-2001, 10:12 PM
I don't think its patriotic, but something very close. Patritism is different feeling, heck (dons flameproof armor) the acts of any terrorist could be viewed as "patriotic" by their supporters, which is wrong since violence solves nothing. But it would be a good use to play a movie, I always like wonders of China. Or they could do a montage of all of the movies made, kinda like the queue from rocket rods, but they would actually make sense together as a longer movie. The only problem is that if there really is some "hidden" construction/planning going on in the building for another attraction the return of Circle Vision could just slow it down by months.

Morrigoon
09-14-2001, 12:39 AM
For all I care, they can leave the current rails up, remove all the chains, and start showing the films tomorrow! I'd like to see Circlevision open again, and yes, patriotism is a great reason. Walt was so patriotic, he lied about is age to be able to fight in WWI.

hbquikcomjamesl
09-14-2001, 09:00 AM
Patriotism is quite literally love of the country of one's birth. It can also apply to love of the country one has chosen to live in.

Nationalism is devotion to one's national identity and to one's nation-state. It is one of the things that, out of control, led to World War I.

Jingoism is extreme militaristic nationalism. The term comes from a militaristic song.

Chauvinism, a term that has for years been misused as a term for sexism (in such usage, "male Chauvinism" and "female Chauvinism" are correct, but "Chauvinism" by itself is not) is in fact a term referring to an extreme nationalist belief that the people of one's nation are in some way better than those of all other nations.

Thus, "patriotism" is the correct term for what the CircleVision films, ATB and AJ, and such presentations as the Hall of Presidents and The American Experience are designed to evoke.

And surely a Buzz Lightyear attraction could be placed somewhere other than the CircleVision theatre. In WDW-MK, it's roughly where the Starcade is in DL, and there's also the whole Mission Control and cabin area of Flight to the Moon/Mission to Mars.

thamnarestan
09-14-2001, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Nigel2
The only problem is that if there really is some "hidden" construction/planning going on in the building for another attraction the return of Circle Vision could just slow it down by months.

I was inside the old Rocket Rods queue on Monday and thus I know for a fact that there is NO construction going inside either the theater or the old waiting area. The monorail and peoplemover are still inside the old staging room, and the theater itself is being used as a dressing room for character entertainment. The automatic doors are still in place, but they were hidden by what looked like a temporary wall (which looks very permananent in the dark). The only major change that would have to be made is the replacement of the lean-rails.

Nigel2
09-14-2001, 09:39 PM
That and to widen the exit area. It would probably be a lot more work than we are making it sound like. It would be cool to keep the floor the way it is with the swirl in it, but the poles would have to be removed and replaced with the lean rails since the poles could be a hazzard. The floor would have to be fixed/pluged since it would be another hazzard. Then probably clean the film, and possibly repair anything that was dammaged over the years of use and storage.