PDA

View Full Version : Air at Disneyland [from fires]

Pages : [1] 2

Undertaker72
10-26-2003, 05:36 AM
How bad is the air at disneyland? Due to the fire? Can you smell it or is the sky clear over there?

SoCalDisneyLover
10-26-2003, 05:39 AM
You could smell the fire very well last night, and there was ash falling all over the place. I heard a CM comment about how dirty everything looked because of all the debris.

When riding the tram back to the parking garage, people were covering their faces because the ash was hitting their eyes as the tram moved forward.

Kuzcotopia
10-26-2003, 06:36 AM
Anyone down in Anaheim?

What's the smoke and ash report this morning?

MuckaMowie
10-26-2003, 06:41 AM
It was nearly unbreathable Saturday. I just took a look at the sky at 7:40 this morning, and it looks worse. If you're going today, take a rag to dampen and breath through. (not sure about using a face mask at DL, you could ask though!) My husband's off to work in the ticket booth as I write (luckly, filtered air), and he said the CMs who were in the park yesterday could hardly breath without inhailing ash! Be careful today!:|

DonaldDuck14
10-26-2003, 06:54 AM
yeah, and today i have to work today in this mess and im a photographer so my job requires me to be outside, but hopefully i can work in the store today ::crosses fingers::

Freerider127
10-26-2003, 07:11 AM
Yesterday it was like raining ash.

CraigMBA
10-26-2003, 10:35 AM
I was in Anaheim (althought not at the park) yesterday and it was pretty bad.

I suspect it will be worse today as the fire has grown overnight.

David Paul Lane
10-26-2003, 10:50 AM
:( It's bad. Twenty minets west on Ball and the ash is still falling. On saterday, ash was falling in east Anahiem. Didn't go to DL on acount of the air.

briar_rose
10-26-2003, 01:21 PM
Sorry, I haven't been on the boards for a while... what exactly happened? :confused: thanks for any help in advance :)

HBTiggerFan
10-26-2003, 01:48 PM
At the risk of sounding crass, a good majority of southern california is on fire. The ask and smoke is blowing west and is hovering around Orange County. The air is horrible to breathe (and can't be good for you). The 2nd showing of Fantasmic was cancelled yesterday due to the winds and ash.

Undertaker72
10-26-2003, 01:56 PM
Ok. We aren't going.:( :( Was really hoping to go to see haunted mansion. Haven't seen it yet. And I wanted to see what the trick and treating thing that is happening in downtown disney was like. My nephew really wanted to go and put his new costume on and everything. I really hate those arsonists.:mad:

mrswortham
10-26-2003, 02:14 PM
We live in Colorado, and are scheduled to fly into Los Angeles and to take a shuttle to Disney tomorrow morning. I am sure that nothing that I have already purchased is refundable.

Is it serious enough (close enough to Anaheim) to where I should look into cancelling our trip? Do you think Disneyland will close? Opinions appreciated ASAP, as we fly out early in the morning.

Thanks in advance.

Amy

Gandalf
10-26-2003, 03:06 PM
My son called and said the air at Disneyland is pretty thick with ash. He said they took a walk around for a while and some people even had those white dust masks on. He said it looks like the canoes are closed and the river has lots of debris in it from the winds. They did the Mansion, Splash and decided to go to the movies instead. I feel bad for anyone who has their lives in upheaval from the fires. Tv showing lots of people are evacuating. Hope they catch the ones who started them.

Dlandmom
10-26-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by mrswortham
Is it serious enough (close enough to Anaheim) to where I should look into cancelling our trip? Do you think Disneyland will close? Opinions appreciated ASAP, as we fly out early in the morning.

Amy, the thing that's going to affect you most is air travel. There may be delays on your flight depending on the winds and the smoke. There have already been reports of flights being held on the ground for hours at a time throughout the US.

Also, the air is not good...the fire isn't near Anaheim, but unfortunately the Santa Ana winds are blowing the smoke right over Orange County (where Anaheim is) and out towards the ocean. Supposedly by Wednesday, the reverse will happen, and an onshore flow will start blowing cool moist air back inland and toward the fires, but who knows how accurate that is.

Suffice it to say, tomorrow may not be a good day to be in Anaheim because of the air quality, and your flight might be delayed. If your stay is long enough, perhaps you should just relax in your hotel tomorrow and Tuesday or try some indoor activities in the area (Long Beach Aquarium, LA museums, Movieland Wax Museum...there's lots more...I'm sure other So Cal folks can chime in).

mrswortham
10-26-2003, 03:40 PM
Thank you so much for your reply!

EandCDad
10-26-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by mrswortham

As Dlandmom mentioned, you will probably get a lot of smoke and ash but no real danger from the actual fire.

I heard Tuesday it will be better (as far as the winds blowing east to west) and then by Wednesday it should be much better. Keep an eye on the weather and news once you get here. Hope you have fun. If you have an flexibility, try to do indoor activities Monday.

SoCalDisneyLover
10-26-2003, 08:28 PM
I was there today, and didn't find it particularly bad. It seemed to smell much more noticeable last night, and the wind was definitely blowing ash more on Saturday evening, than when I was there this afternoon. Perhaps if the winds pick up tonight, they'll have a repeat of last night. Luckily I saw the 9:00 show on Saturday, as my friends were driving back to Castaic, and wanted to leave by 10. Sorry to hear it got cancelled.

Ironically...as we were walking on Big Thunder Trail to the "secret" Fantasmic spot...which is appearing to be less of a secret....a CM was talking to some guests about Fantasmic, and telling them that since it was 8:40, the viewing spots along Rivers Of America were full, and they would be better off waiting for the 10:30 show. He even explained how they should wait about 20 minutes after the 1st show ended, before walking up to get a much better location than they could get now. I guess if those people took his advice, they never got to see the show. Doesn't always pay to listen to people's advice. :-)

jerjer2005
10-26-2003, 08:56 PM
the ash was very bad on sat., i soon found out that riding splash mountain didnt help much as i was covered in ash that stuck to my wet clothes. the ash problem was really put into perspective during fantasmic when it first started and the beems of light came up... ash everywhere!!!

cryan71
10-26-2003, 09:58 PM
The great thing about the ash, is that it covers up all the painting needs.

tod
10-27-2003, 08:08 AM
Saturday afternoon at DCA, the fiery overcast was so bad that when I went from the outside into a room that was lit by fluorescent lights I did a double take and blinked because my eyes had to adjust. And so did the person I was with. It was disorienting, that's how bad it was.

It can't be good to breathe that [stuff].

--T
censorship self-imposed
:fez:

ZipadeedooDave
10-27-2003, 08:15 AM
Regarding the story "Ashes Over Anaheim" -- I was at the park Saturday night and it was indeed a mess.

I had sort of a busy day, and was actually going to meet a couple of Mousepadder's around Noon...unfortunately, my schedule didn't permit and that meeting will have to be at a later date.

What ended up happening is I took a couple of 'non-drivers licensed" 16 year olds to Disneyland & DCA on Saturday Night. We had an alright time, but it was awfulled "ashy".

Was anyone there for the 'ashes'? Toward the end of the night, it was really getting bad.....we left about 10pm...and the tram ride back to the parking structure was really bad......we all had to cover our faces to keep from ashes getting in our eyes and in our mouths. This is all w/o saying that the smoke made it awfully hard to breathe.

Anyone else have any Friday/Saturday/Sunday "Disneyland Covered in Ashes" Stories?:eek:

DopeyWife
10-27-2003, 09:09 AM
My husband and I were at Disneyland and DCA on Friday. We didn't notice any ash or smoke.

Cadaverous Pallor
10-27-2003, 09:30 AM
I would have to recommend that anyone staying outside for an extended period in the affected areas (say, two hours or more) should wear at mask or cloth over their nose and mouth. Just walking from car to indoors is plenty of nasty air for me. I made the mistake of jogging to and from my car to grab something yesterday evening - my lungs were not happy afterwards.

If your plans aren't refundable, you can still go and have fun, but you really should get some masks.

I saw some kids at a store yesterday wearing colorful surgeons' masks. They were Asian and I couldn't help but think about the "designer" masks that came out in the SARS breakout. Buying kids colorful ones may help insure that they'd wear them.

SteveK
10-27-2003, 10:00 AM
I'm in Anaheim right now (Monday around 11 am) and it's pretty ugly outside. The sun is shining but it appears to be fairly smokey/hazy and there's quite a bit of ash still falling. As I look out my window, it's very hazy/smoky at Disneyland...I'm about 1-2 miles away from the park. This morning, I could actually see the white paint on SM, but I can now barely see SM at all. Oddly enough, my wife called about 15 minutes ago and wanted to take the girls to DL and I told her there was no way she should take the kids out with this much smoke and ash down here.
-Steve

ZipadeedooDave
10-27-2003, 10:03 AM
Good call. I am at work in Corona right now -- as it appears that you live there. It's very dreary right now with all the smoke and ash.

I am inside and it's still hard to breath...and suffice to say...I have a headache. Best to keep the kids indoors until later in the week I'd say -- not just kids either! Big people too.