PDA

View Full Version : Due to high winds...

stitch626
10-25-2003, 11:38 PM
Yeah, I just came back from Disneyland which was an interesting day today. Due to the fire, there was lots of ashes floating around (and, many people with scratchy eyes.) Later on, the Santa Ana winds picked up. And, sadley the 10:30 show of Fantasmic was cut completly before Mark Twain shows up since the winds were high. It was weird.

Sophie832
10-26-2003, 01:46 AM
I was there tonight, and the winds and ash were pretty bad.

A CM I know who worked Fantasmic said the winds got bad quickly, and cutting off the show when they did took a lot of them by surprise.

The ash kept getting my eyes all night, and with contacts that was not a good thing. For the first time since I've been going, the dance floor at Carnation was completely empty by the end of the night. I think most of the dancers were having trouble breathing, and the dance floor had enough ash to cause some major slipping.

Rod even ended his piano set early...I don't know if that had anything to do with the air quality, too. It was just a rough night.

Freerider127
10-26-2003, 04:40 AM
I got home last night around 12:30 and went to sleep, woke up a at 3:30 in the morning and havent slept since and right now its 5:37AM.

efoxx
10-26-2003, 03:56 PM
I do know that fantasmic at WDW is often closed due to high winds. the winds effect the water screens, making the movie portions impossible to see. not to mention the fireworks hard to control.

does anybody remember the fire from the early 80's that destroyed a bunch of homes near DL?
a law changed because of that. requiring homes with ceder shingles to have the shingles presure treated with a fire retardant.

stitch626
10-26-2003, 06:08 PM
Yeah, when the water screens came up, I could feel the water all the way from the Haunted Mansion exit.

It was sad to hear everyone booing since the show was cut. But, I understand that it had to be done. :crying:

Lost Boy
10-26-2003, 06:48 PM
Fantasmic is cancelled due to winds, fire or no fire. If you look on top of the center light tower you will see the wind barameter (it looks like a spinning four armed wheel with cups on the end of each arm). If you see that thing start to spin fast, there is a very good chance the show will be cancelled before it stops. Stopping the show like they did last night is unusual but if the winds got to high during the show, they had no choice. They can't control the fireworks or the water. Better to be safe than sorry.

Unlike a ride that might or might not get proper maintance, a live outdoor show with pryotechnics/fire effects is watched every second from before the show goes on through the show and up to the very last moment. And then it starts all over again if there is a second (or sometimes a third) show.

Disney Village
10-26-2003, 07:22 PM
Anyone know how the fires affected the crowds Sat and Sun? My wife and I live in Simi Valley and it was miserable out here today with the smoke and ash (but made for some spectacular viewing this weekend).

We considered going today, but after about 5 seconds we came to our senses and stayed at home.

SiRocket
10-26-2003, 08:02 PM
DV i also came from SValley today.... me and the fiance went to the resort all day, smoke was bearable after 2pm and i was used to it..... but boy does it kill half of the magic at disneyland (the smells) pirates boat scene actually smelled like smoke and gun powder ;) etc. etc. that basically was the killer for me, but after i got by that fact, we both had fun, lots of smoke and ash.. but i came prepared with the car cover for the car, and just a good mind to go for the day, and for your interest the crowds were little to none today.....