PDA

View Full Version : Splash running?

barbara1973
10-23-2003, 04:10 PM
Splash was scheduled to come back from the dead today. Does anyone know if that actually happened?

TwinGemII
10-23-2003, 04:11 PM
It's up and running. I was there yesterday and they were doing run throughs with the boats for opening today!!

Freerider127
10-23-2003, 05:07 PM
Thank God I have been waiting for a long time for it to be open:D

mousetrap adam
10-23-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by TwinGemII
It's up and running.
Well, technically speaking anyway... it didn't open until 6:30 pm, and promptly proceeded to break down at 7:30, after which it didn't reopen. Hopefully it'll run a bit better this weekend.

-Mo

Freerider127
10-24-2003, 12:38 PM
It better be running or I will freak out I have been waiting a very long time for it to open and its my favorite attraciton so lets all hope its going to be open:)

crazydad123
10-25-2003, 08:35 PM
Splash Mountain was indeed up and running at around 6:15 PM Thursday, and continued to run stating first thing Friday morning--I went on it three times, and everything seemed to be in good shape. Biggest thing is I hadn't been on it in quite a few years, as it was in refurb two years ago when I was there. Lots more drops, better logs with the five single seats.

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
10-26-2003, 12:22 AM
Lot's more drops......

- and new songs and animals dancing, singing and laughing!

And when you go down the briar patch - you end up in the Jungle Cruise River!

Freerider127
10-26-2003, 04:18 AM
I rode splash yesterday and I have to say the landscaping on the outside looks pretty good. :D

SoCalDisneyLover
10-26-2003, 05:19 AM
Who needs a Monorail system that works, a Lagoon ride that exists, or a Tommorowland that has a single ride worth going on...when you can look at beautiful landscaping on Splash Mountain? Disneyland obviously has their priorities straight as usual. With all this talk about eliminating the AP's, I can honestly say there is No Way I would bother going to Disneyland repeatedly without one, because I'd feel like I was being ripped off and taken advantage of. It really is a shame they don't care about this park being the best in the world like it used to be. Go ahead and get rid of the AP's. It's basically the only reason I would bother going to the park on a regular basis, so it would definitely save me over $150.

dustytraveler
10-26-2003, 09:12 PM
In spite of the snowflakes of ash floating in to my nose and mouth, the return of Splash Mountain was a much welcomed experience today.

Bees buzz anew, bears bounce as they should, and wings flap - Hallelujah

While a few creatures still haven't managed to bolt themselves to the floor yet, nothing major good or bad to report.

For those wondering if we'd get new logs, nothing new that I could see. Same configuration as before and none of the rumored seat belts that we had heard were coming.

Welcome back Splash. Now we're only two E's short of a theme park. It is going to be a long painful wait for Space Mt.

Cadaverous Pallor
10-27-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by SoCalDisneyLover
Who needs a Monorail system that works, a Lagoon ride that exists, or a Tommorowland that has a single ride worth going on...when you can look at beautiful landscaping on Splash Mountain? Disneyland obviously has their priorities straight as usual. This was a scheduled refurbishment. Every ride needs to go down once in a while to be painted and maintained, otherwise the entire park will be ugly. The problems you mention are problems indeed, but that doesn't mean that everything in the park can look like crap until they fix the Monorail.

I have no problem with refurbishment.

rexfarms
10-27-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
I have no problem with refurbishment.
Nor do I. I am happy when I hear some good fixes will be made on Attractions. The only time it gets me, is when you have something like Space. I think its great that they are working on it but I'm sure they could have it done in less time then it is scheduled for. It makes me mad to know probably the only reason they are keeping it closed is for the 50th, instead of doing something new.

Cadaverous Pallor
10-27-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by rexfarms
I think its great that they are working on it but I'm sure they could have it done in less time then it is scheduled for. It makes me mad to know probably the only reason they are keeping it closed is for the 50th, instead of doing something new. Actually, by the time they closed it, they were welding in there every night just to keep it running. It was breaking down all the time and it made no sense to try to keep it going.

Freerider127
10-27-2003, 07:27 PM
I dont think everybody realizes that rehab dosent just mean fixing the landscape and adding in few more things. Rehab also means replacing stuff like that gets wear and tear like Cadaverous said. I agree with rexfarms on this one im totally fine with rehab but something like space is just being held off to the 50th which is annoying.

SoCalDisneyLover
10-27-2003, 07:33 PM
Has there been a reasonable explanation as to why it will take them over 2 years to re-do Space Mountain? How long did the original project take from start to finish, which obviously included building the "Mountain" itself. That is not necessary this time around, and I'm having a difficult time understanding how it takes such a long time. If they were doing a different track layout, that might make sense, but all they need to do is follow the old blueprint for the ride, and so why aren't they to the point of getting the track ready to put in?

Tower Of Terror is taking how long? And that ride is a bigger investment and also sizewise, than Space.

leaf
10-27-2003, 08:06 PM
If they were doing a different track layout, that might make sense, but all they need to do is follow the old blueprint for the ride, and so why aren't they to the point of getting the track ready to put in?

Just a guess, but...

The old blueprints for the track were for the lighter ride vehicles that did NOT contain the on-board audio systems and headrest speakers.

The modified ride vehicles (with on-board audio) for Space Mountain were heavier, and had a different center of gravity, thus stressing the track differently and causing it to weaken much faster.

Thus they need to design a heavier-duty track and reinforce it in the appropriate areas, or face replacing the track again and again in the future. (i.e. You can keep replacing the track over and over, or save some money and build a better track that lasts longer.)

Supposedly they wanted to just copy Hong Kong's Space Mountain, which is supposedly in a larger building than Anaheim's Space Mountain, so a direct copy from those designs might be a bit more difficult.

And given how long it now takes the Disney bureaucracy to approve projects, especially new designs, and the fact that the closure was not expected quite so early, plus the fact that Disney has laid off so many Imagineers, we have ended up with a long delay.

Not that this is acceptable... Most of the delays are of their own making, and a company as large and rich as Disney should be able to get things accomplished faster... it's just, that is the current state of the company, and no one is trying to prod it to move any faster-- the only motivation for the company to act is for increasing profits with minimal outlay of funds.

-just my speculations

rexfarms
10-27-2003, 08:08 PM
I believe they are just holding it off for the 50th so they have something "new" to "open". :|

newhdplayer
10-27-2003, 08:18 PM
Has there been a reasonable explanation as to why it will take them over 2 years to re-do Space Mountain.

White Paint.

This shade of white hasn't been manufactured in 23 years. They did have some left over in storage for maintenance, but had to commission Sherwin-Williams to mix up another batch to finish the job.

Freerider127
10-28-2003, 03:43 PM
Has there been a reasonable explanation as to why it will take them over 2 years to re-do Space Mountain? How long did the original project take from start to finish, which obviously included building the "Mountain" itself. That is not necessary this time around, and I'm having a difficult time understanding how it takes such a long time. If they were doing a different track layout, that might make sense, but all they need to do is follow the old blueprint for the ride, and so why aren't they to the point of getting the track ready to put in?

Tower Of Terror is taking how long? And that ride is a bigger investment and also sizewise, than Space.

There is no reasonable explantion for Space being down for 2 years. They are replacing the track but that does not take up 2 years. In my opionon I feel that Disney is just holding off to relaunch it in 2005 which is a marketing ploy to say oh my god space is back and make it sound like a new ride but really its the same thing, this is better for them money wise then to build a new E-ticket for the 50th.

gliterrboy
10-28-2003, 03:58 PM
Playing devil's advocate, if its not going to actually take that long to rebuild the track and its just a marketing ploy, then why is it coming back in Nov of 2005 instead of July? If this is all a lie, why can't they schedule for their hoax to be finished on time?

Disneyfreak
10-28-2003, 04:41 PM
Its way more then just rebuilding the track; they are redesigning the Q line and making new effects inside the ride itself, so give them a break. Its said that the ride and effects are going to be state of the art in technology. The ride is suppositly going to have actual holograms follow your car while you are on the ride!!!!! I will say it was well worth the wait when it reopens, so just be patient. As I always say with disney; its better it takes a long time and be excellent, then to be rushed and be very bad. Just be lucky you got a big budget for this ride. Besides what did you want them to do, tear down space mountain and put a different ride in its place?

rexfarms
10-28-2003, 06:02 PM
I agree both with Disneyfreak and gliterrboy. I figure we will just have to wait and see.