PDA

View Full Version : Staying at the HoJo vs. staying closer to main gate

miss_sonja
10-23-2003, 02:21 PM
I'm doing the planning for a family vacation (4 adults, 3 kids, 3 rooms needed) in December--the 4th through the 8th. I've been planning on booking the HoJo, based on the positive comments here and in the reviews, but it's rather far from the gate and offers no free breakfast.

I'm now considering the Desert Inn, the Park Place Inn (it's pricier) or the Tropicana or Carousel.

How bad is the HoJo walk? Is the free breakfast, in the opinion of those who've been recently, worth it?

I'm a waffler, I'll admit! So just give me a good reason to book the HoJo!

Thanks mousepeople!

CarlieB
10-23-2003, 02:30 PM
We stayed at the HoJo our first visit to DL back in 2000 and really liked it. I have so say, we were amazed that people were waiting to use the shuttle - it's a 5 minute walk to the gates, max. If you had quite small kids or had mobility issues it might be an issue, but I found the walk to be absolutely fin (jmho, of course:) )

Hyperboy
10-23-2003, 02:44 PM
I just posted a quick review of the Tropicana, where I stayed at the beginning of this month, on this (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=301543#post301543) thread. The Tropicana is about 10 minutes closer walking distance to Disneyland.

I hung out with friends (you may want to PM disguy on these boards) who stayed at HoJos. Their room was very nice (since they got a suite), which had a living room, a balcony, a wet bar, 2 bathrooms and two double beds in the bedroom. However, I'm not sure how much they paid per night.

You may want to check out the cost of 2 suites as compared to three rooms, if you're planning on hanging out at the hotel for any length of time.

I'm not sure how the normal rooms are at HoJos but I hear they're good.

But if you're looking for a place to simply crash at night then the Tropicana gives you your basic clean (m)otel room.

adriennek
10-23-2003, 03:07 PM
You don't say how old your children are. That would affect my opinion. Are they up to the walk? Especially at night?

Also, another thing to consider: The Hojo pools are outdoors and you're going in December- so would you be using that feature of the hotel?

As highly as my friends recommend the Desert Inn, the breakfast is only ok. Will you have a car? The Desert Inn has refrigerators in rooms so you could have your own breakfast in the room, depending on how big a breakfast you want.

Adrienne

miss_sonja
10-23-2003, 03:18 PM
The kids are 5 months, 3 and 4. We're me, my DH, his sister, her son, and their Dad (grandpa to the kids, that is!). We plan on bringing strollers.

Thanks for all input! The kids are really looking forward to Disney at Christmas time.

mrscoach
10-23-2003, 03:25 PM
My husband and I went to DL in January of this year and stayed at - I think it was called the Anaheim Villager. What a dive! However, it was pretty close. But every day when we would walk by the HoJo, my husband would say "lets stay there the next time we bring the kids." It probably does take aabout 5 minutes, but it doesn't seem like it. If you've got an adult for every stroller, you'll be fine. That's where we're staying when we go at Thanksgiving.

disguy
10-23-2003, 03:27 PM
The Hojo is nice they do have two great suites but they are in seprate buildings and not always free.

We have stayed countless times at the Hojo in a "regular" room and the suites. I was pleased with both. It's a very low rate for a nice clean room and a bit larger then most hotels/motels in the area.

DrivingtoDisneyAZ
10-23-2003, 10:22 PM
www.parkplaceinnandminisuites.com has rates in December which rival HOJOs: $69 for 2 dbl beds or 1 king, $79 for 2 queen beds plus sofa sleeper.

We stayed at HOJOs on our first trip last Easter. With two kids under two and me being pregnant, it was just too much of a hike. No other complaints about it; I'm sure we'll stay there again when the boys are older.

Over Memorial Day we tried the Carousel Inn & Suites. I loved the close proximity to the parks and the huge refrigerator, but that's about all. Unfortunately we were stuck with a non-renovated room; I hear most (maybe all?) have now been remodeled, thus taking care of all my complaints except maid service, which was pretty awful. They got around to our room around 4-6 pm every night, which was nap time for the kids.

daannzzz
10-24-2003, 08:17 AM
All of the places you have chosen are fine places to stay. I really like HoJo and the walk from there is only 3-5 minutes longer.

miss_sonja
10-24-2003, 08:20 AM
Thanks for helping me work through this--funny the things you can stress about, isn't it?:-)

I've decided on the Tropicana, based mostly on location. With the ages of our kids and grandpa along, a shorter walk is worth it. And the Tropicana (according to their website) has been totally renovated. Got a rate of $64 +tx from their website; got the same rate from Disneyland travel (but they say they give you one night free when you book 4--not really! The prices are just higher to begin with!).

Anyway, I'll post a trip report when we get back. Can't wait to see the Holiday Haunted Mansion! Oh, and I've got a coupon for a special pin, courtesy of buying Nightmare Before Christmas at Costco.

stinkerbell
10-24-2003, 10:33 AM
I think you'll like the Tropicana.....my friends really liked it and their room was nice--I got to peek at it.

I have to speak up about the Desert Inn breakfast--it's disgusting! The cheapest bread I've ever tasted for toast (and very low quality jelly), yucky fruit (green oranges? Apples the size of walnuts?), and bitter coffee. The only good thing was the milk for my daughter. We tried it two mornings, and didn't do it again. No thanks. Plus the area for eating was crowded and dirty.

The free breakfast at Park Place Inn is pretty good: upstairs at Mom's you get bagels w/cream cheese, toast or English muffins, coffee, hot chocolate, tea, milk, cereal, fresh fruit, and I didn't notice them policing, if you take some extras for the road.

When we stayed at HoJo's, we enjoyed the kids-eat-free deal at Millie's on the way to the park in the mornings.

Have fun! Sounds like you got a great rate at the Tropicana! :)

Demigod121
10-24-2003, 10:45 AM
The walk from the HOJO is short - but for the younger ones, I dunno. I would check about a hotel shuttle - and also make sure you find out when they STOP the shuttle - had many a stranded Hilton stayer have to walk all the way back from the shuttle area.

-Demigod

rwabels
11-02-2003, 09:13 AM
If you'll have a car, I'd recommend the Embassy Suites in Buena Park (only about 10-15 min drive). It's not the fanciest hotel, but the courtyard is beautiful and heated pool/hottub are great. The two room suites are nice, clean and reasonable ($98/night — stay on first floor), so you'd only need two suites. BIG bonus is the free, made-to-order breakfast everfy morning (eggs, omlettes, pancakes, bacon, the whole deal) — you'll save a ton of $ with all the people in your party! BIGGER bonus — free cocktails in evening. Who doesn't need to wind down with a drink after a day chasing around DL or DCA? Finally, it's walking distance to Knott's Berry Farm if you're of that ilk.

miss_sonja
11-02-2003, 09:17 AM
That sounds great, esp. the cocktails after a long day at the park! That would be a good option when the kids are older perhaps...

This time, we're planning on just doing DLR. While DH and I have been twice recently, the relatives coming with us haven't been for years and it's the first visit for the 3 yr old.

I do want to see Knott's sometime, since I haven't been since I was way little. I remember panning for gold; thought that was the coolest thing!

dsnylndmom
11-02-2003, 01:46 PM
There is an Embassy in Garden Grove about 1 mile away from DLR. We stayed there in May for like $119 a night. It was wonderful! The shuttle was a full sized bus and very prompt, the hot breakfast was great! and the cocktails in the evening also included snacks and sodas for the kids. Plus their restaurant menu is very good too! The shuttle ride took like 7 minutes and the driver stores your stroller for you. The 2 room suites slept 6.

I stayed at BW Park Place Inn in April and we really enjoyed our stay there. It's the closest off site motel, the staff was great and the room was very spacious and I really prefer having the **** and microwave in the room. Breakfast at Mom's next door was fine, just like Stinkerbell said.

I've also stayed at Carousal but that was back in 98. It was before the rennovation and breakfast was coffee and toast, that's it no lie. Plus the rooms were very dingy. I don't know how it is now after the rennovation but I have heard the breakfast is better! LOL

We've also done Desert Inn. Nice sized rooms, good staff, clean and plain but no problems except parking. Unlike Stinkerbell, our breakfast there was okay, not great but okay. I think the last time we stayed there was 2001.

Never stayed at Tropicana or Hojo's but their own my lists to try!

Have a GREAT trip!

disneyhound
11-02-2003, 04:09 PM
Hey:

This is my first posting to this user group. The last three years I have taken my daughter to Disneyland. We have stayed at the Ramada Maingate Saga in 2001, the Best Western Park Place Inn in 2002, and this year at the Tropicanna. We liked the Tropicanna the best. They are all just across the street from the maingate entrance. Disneyland is Great!!:D