PDA

View Full Version : The back of the line is that way!

Pages : [1] 2 3

averagecuppajoe
10-22-2003, 07:04 PM
Recently, at a local theme park, several young girls attempted to cut in line, a very long and slow moving one albeit. Not wanting a scene, I usually won't say anything even though it ****es me off.

The older I'm getting, the less patience I seem to have. I finally spoke up and explained where the back of the line was. The girls insisted on staying put so I said, "Look, she was in front of me and these guys were behind me ............so?!." They left.

OK, so no big deal, right? Every time I wait for my primo "Fantasmic" spot, I have to deal with idiot people who try to show up last minute and squeeze in on everyone else. Now, I've got an attitude, the quiet guy finally speaks up. I won't put with that kind of rudeness anymore.

I wonder who else has had a problem with line-cutters, and how you deal(t) with it?

wendybeth
10-22-2003, 07:22 PM
I've posted about this before, but we had an experience on our first trip in '01... We were there at peak season (August) ; the lines were long and tempers were short. My daughter and I were waiting to see Turk (we were next in line) and this incredibly pushy woman cut in front of us and shoved her daughter ahead of mine. My daughter is hard of hearing, so I signed "just wait a minute" to her and sort of rolled my eyes at the woman. When she realised that my 6 year old was hearing impaired, she started gushing over how cute she was and so on... I was thinking "yeah, right, a minute ago you were ready to push her out of the treehouse!" but instead I just let her ramble on. My husband took a picture of us with Turk; I'm glaring at the woman and if looks could kill-lol.:~D Later that same day we had a similar incident while meeting Donald Duck; fortunately a cm caught the group and made them move to the end of the line, while my daughter (who was by now crying) was enveloped in a great big hug by Donald. He spent a little extra time with her and by the time we were done, we had some big smiles and great pictures! :)

sleepyjeff
10-22-2003, 07:34 PM
Amen! Just a couple of years ago, my wife and I staked out a front and center spot for FANTASMIC . After sitting on the hard ground for hours, the show was just 20 minutes from begining. Before we knew what happened three people sat down right in front of us! One of them must of heard the shouts from everyone and turned around and asked me if any one was sitting there. "No, all 7,000 people behind you passed on front row center" I said with my most menacing sarcasam:rolleyes:

I just can't believe people sometimes..........:)

Freerider127
10-22-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by averagecuppajoe
Recently, at a local theme park, several young girls attempted to cut in line, a very long and slow moving one albeit. Not wanting a scene, I usually won't say anything even though it ****es me off.

The older I'm getting, the less patience I seem to have. I finally spoke up and explained where the back of the line was. The girls insisted on staying put so I said, "Look, she was in front of me and these guys were behind me ............so?!." They left.

OK, so no big deal, right? Every time I wait for my primo "Fantasmic" spot, I have to deal with idiot people who try to show up last minute and squeeze in on everyone else. Now, I've got an attitude, the quiet guy finally speaks up. I won't put with that kind of rudeness anymore.

I wonder who else has had a problem with line-cutters, and how you deal(t) with it?

I totally agree with you it ticks me off so much when people just cut lines. Its not right because people are waiting there for a long time and then you just have some punks cut right in front of the line and I hate speaking up but sometimes I get pretty mad so I do. One time when I was standing in fantasmic some people just budged in last minute and they kept bumping into me and I couldent see it made the whole thing not as enjoyable.

Wishful
10-22-2003, 07:55 PM
The one time someone was rude that really still p%$*@s me off is that me and my mom had staked out a decent spot for Fantasmic! My mom has back problems and had to sit with her legs stretched out, and this family came and practically sat on her! We were somewhre where we were not in the way at all...near a statue or trash can maybe... Mom was ok with that and moved her legs a little, but this little boy kept banging into her feet and the boy's mom said "Don't kick my son." What this kid was doing was bothering my mom who was sitting still! I was so close to saying something very, very not-Disney to her, but my mom made me leave and we found another spot to stand at.

Because the kids in that group were so young, I'm glad I didn't say anything because I would not have been nice, but I wish people would be respectful and watch their kids more.

W

CoasterMatt
10-22-2003, 08:39 PM
One of my favorites is when people try and "excuse me" to meet up with their family members waiting in line...

a friend showed us the best way to deal with these people

"Excuse me" - attempted line cutter

to which my friend replied, in a louder than normal voice

"Why? Did you fart?"

Freerider127
10-22-2003, 08:41 PM
I hate when that happens you have one person waiting in front of you and then theres like 10 people that come and hop in with him in front of the line and they say "excuse me". :rolleyes:

adriennek
10-22-2003, 09:20 PM
Hi,

This is a gentle reminder for everyone- please do not use censored words or self-mask words that we censor on MousePad. If you click on "preview post" you will see if any of your words will be censored, and edit them before you submit your post. You also have a 30-minute window to edit a post if you've already submitted a post with censored language in it.

If you need to self-mask a word, then please find another word to use.

Thank you,
Adrienne

averagecuppajoe
10-22-2003, 11:20 PM
I don't understand why P I S _ is such a "bad" word that it has to be censored. I was really, really, really mad just sounds dumb.

I apolgize, anyway.

Nephythys
10-23-2003, 06:54 AM
I usually try to embarass them. I have said very loudly to my own kids, "Gosh, I'm so glad YOU are not as rude as they are!" Sometimes I say that to someone else in line who also got cut like me, and they tend to loudly agree. Of course the people cutting are usually immune to embarassment and don't get out of line. I am coming close to wanting to remove them myself, I get so annoyed!

I was at a local park here in CO and my kids were waiting in line for the Carousel and a whole herd of kids came barging in and literally shoved us out of the way. I wanted to smash heads when they had to nerve to shove my younger kids away so they could get on first. ARGH!!:mad:

No one should have to put up with that sort of behavior. I had some problems with characters too, Rose was waiting to see Stitch and some kids came up and took over. The man next to me and I both mentioned it to the CM and she moved them away letting us take our turn. But it does make you get steamed!

mrscoach
10-23-2003, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by Wishful
The one time someone was rude that really still p%$*@s me off is that me and my mom had staked out a decent spot for Fantasmic! My mom has back problems and had to sit with her legs stretched out, and this family came and practically sat on her! We were somewhre where we were not in the way at all...near a statue or trash can maybe... Mom was ok with that and moved her legs a little, but this little boy kept banging into her feet and the boy's mom said "Don't kick my son." What this kid was doing was bothering my mom who was sitting still! I was so close to saying something very, very not-Disney to her, but my mom made me leave and we found another spot to stand at.

Because the kids in that group were so young, I'm glad I didn't say anything because I would not have been nice, but I wish people would be respectful and watch their kids more.

W

Actually, this post makes me feel ALOT better. I had my kids at a football game a couple weeks ago, and it was me and
the boys, who are 4, 3 and 1. So I had my hands full. We were in reserved seats, so everyone around us had paid a pretty penny for their seat. Just before halftime, my 4 year old discovered that his feet just reached the back of the seat in front of him, which was occupied by a man who has been giving me dirty looks all season (maybe he doesn't like the defense my husband calls;) ). Anyway, I told Liam once "don't touch anybody's seat but your own." About 3 seconds later, he put his foot squarely between the mans shoulder-blades. I was horrified. The man gave me the dirtiest look I've ever gotten, and I immediately said I was sorry. Then I picked up the boys and we left. Now, I've had several other people say I should've stayed, that guy was a jerk, blah blah blah. And that guy is really grumpy and mean-looking, even when I'm there with no kids. However, he certainly is not a jerk for wanting to enjoy his seat, which he paid for, and not have a little boy kicking him. And, like most parents, I know my son well enough to know that it was all over at that point, and that leaving was the only way he was going to leave that guy alone.
So I'm sorry to hear that another child's mother tried to twist the story around on you and your mom, but rest assured that many of us are all too aware of it when our children are annoying other people, and we will remove them quickly if their behavior doesn't change.:)

LegolandMC
10-23-2003, 07:15 AM
*lol* In my opinion, it's just as rude to point out that someone's rude as it is to be the one doing something you consider rude. Especially since the person you think is being rude might not be trying to do anything.....example, I was walking with my friend through Disneyland, and this family was coming towards us, strung out in a line....it was like seven of them against two of us. I can't remember where we were, but I know the walkway wasn't that big. I thought they might move down to lines or something, but they didn't, so I ended up having to sidestep in order not be hit. Well, as the mom walked away, she says very loudly "Well EXCUSE you! Watch where you're walking. Don't be so rude!" In my mind, I think she was being the rude one.....but oh well.

Anyway, it drives me nuts at Fantasmic when people shove themselves in. My friend and I were standing in the back row, and there was some room to the left of us, but probably only enough for about three people. This huge family of about ten people (grandparents, parents, and children) shoved themselves into this small section. The kids were hitting me the whole show, and one of the guys kept butting up against me....full body contact! Bleh. Drove me nuts. I hate when people do that!

kisroo
10-23-2003, 07:36 AM
Most things at DL don't bother me, including line cutting unless it's just ***really*** obvious. I get that families often use the strategy of one parent waiting in line while the other parent entertains the kids until the absolute last minute to join the line. Being a teacher, I actually think this is a good strategy for younger kids. When this happens in line for, say, the Storybook ride or Alice, I shrug it off. Really. I can wait longer than a 3 yr old. Usually :rolleyes:

It's when this happens with kids and adults who are old enough to know better that brings out the "teacher" in me. Teens are one of my pet peeves, but again, I try to remember what it's like to think the world revolves around you. I will usually use a gentle/firm phrase like "um, the line actually ends over there, in case you didn't notice" paired with a smile. It works most of the time. And, when doing this, you never know when you'll bond with the random MPer in line (:cough:mad4mky:cough: ) who turns to say the same thing to the offending teens! :cool: :p

As for adults who are 'oblivious' to social standards, it's annoying and uncalled for~you know they know better and just are being rude or self-centered. Of course, in these situations, it's my responsibility to point their error out to them...as sickly sweet as I can...:~D
~kisroo

genenpet
10-23-2003, 07:41 AM
"Anyway, it drives me nuts at Fantasmic when people shove themselves in. My friend and I were standing in the back row, and there was some room to the left of us, but probably only enough for about three people. "

Just to take the other side, it drives me absolutely insane when the people who stake out the early seats don't make full use of the room available. I'd say the seated area by the river is usually only 70% full. This is SO wrong when you consider that basically 50% of the viewers for a full fantasmic show have essentially no view. WDW does a great job of smashing people together for MK parades and for Fantasmic, I've always thought they should have enforced a first four rows on the floor for illuminations too. Lack of seating efficiency makes me cRaZy.

sleepyjeff
10-23-2003, 07:55 AM
Sorry genenpet; but if you stake out a spot and sit there for three plus hours.........not only do you deserve the extra leg room, you NEED it.

Demigod121
10-23-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by mrscoach
I'm sorry to hear that another child's mother tried to twist the story around on you and your mom, but rest assured that many of us are all too aware of it when our children are annoying other people, and we will remove them quickly if their behavior doesn't change.:)

Sorry to hear that someone like that guy at the football game made you feel that you had to leave. This man obviously was NEVER a parent, otherwise he probably would have done what I would have done - which is just turn around and smile and ask your son to please be careful next time. Or I would just look to see who it was and probably ignore it, as kids are like that. I even might have laughed and turned around and played or joked a bit with him.

I think that you should not have left, but stood your ground on this one. You were NOT in the wrong.

-Demigod
(Father of 5 mostly well-behaved children - lol - 2 teens - you figure it out! LOL)

JPIVERSON
10-23-2003, 09:32 AM
My waiting for Fantasmic story is a little better... although we were not there hours early, we were there well before the show started to try and get a decent viewing spot. We found an open area behind a couple who were up against the railing with an excellent view. Right before the show started, the couple turned around and asked if my 8 year old daughter, who was having trouble seeing, would like to stand in front of them to get a better view. I thought that was very generous, even though they were tall enough to see right over her head.

Bill Catherall
10-23-2003, 09:32 AM
I was at Six Flags Marine World waiting in a very slow line for some 3D simulator attraction. As we s l o w l y inched our way closer to the building 3 teenage girls merrily made there way up to the front of the line. The way they moved up there, passing all the people sitting on the ground, I figured they had left the line at one point and were rejoining their group and didn't really think much of it. About 20 seconds later a very angry looking woman also made her way up to the front of the line and confronted those 3 teens.

The way the teens mouthed back to her I figured she was just going to get embarrassed for confronting them and accusing them of cutting and she'll probably slink back to the back of the line where she came from. But she held her ground and soon had the entire line on her side. It seems that she was the only one that knew they were taking cuts. I think the rest of us just assumed they were rejoining their group.

After a heated yelling match the teens eventually started moving backward while being verbally pushed back by this extremely brave woman. Everyone else in line, with thumbs over their shoulders, helped show them the way. :D

katiesue
10-23-2003, 10:00 AM
I had a problem also at Sea World while waiting for the water ride. Two teenagers were ahead of me in line only to be joined by fifteen - yes fifteen of their closest friends and two chaperones. It was bad enough that the kids were doing it but the chaperones didn't see a problem with it either.

I don't have a problem with one or two people - although honestly I still think you shouldn't do it at all. But fifteen was a little much.

mrscoach
10-23-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Demigod121
Sorry to hear that someone like that guy at the football game made you feel that you had to leave. This man obviously was NEVER a parent, otherwise he probably would have done what I would have done - which is just turn around and smile and ask your son to please be careful next time. Or I would just look to see who it was and probably ignore it, as kids are like that. I even might have laughed and turned around and played or joked a bit with him.

I think that you should not have left, but stood your ground on this one. You were NOT in the wrong.

-Demigod
(Father of 5 mostly well-behaved children - lol - 2 teens - you figure it out! LOL)

Oh, I know - there's no WAY that guy had kids. Not little ones anyway. And that was the shocking thing to me - that he didn't turn around and smile, or even say anything kind, like "that's ok" when I appologized. He was just plain mean from start to finish. But he always is. Most people know that if a little kid is kicking their seat or something along those lines, all you have to do is turn around and smile and the parent will intervene right away. I would have appreciated a smile from that guy instead of the curt nod I got when I appologized. But I knew the boys were only going to get more rowdy - I was surprised they had lasted that long to begin with. Had they kicked him right after kickoff, I may have hung in there a little longer.:)

Disneyphile
10-23-2003, 11:01 AM
There's 2 very rude pet peeves of mine at the park:

Line-cutters - I don't let 'em get away with it. Sometimes I'm really nasty, and other times, I will let them think I don't care, until we get all the way to the loading area, and then I tell the CM. :~D

I'm not trying to offend parents with this one, but when I've been waiting for a good spot for Fantasmic or Believe, someone comes to stand in front of me and THEN puts their kid on top of their shoulders, completely blocking my view, without any consideration to look back and see if anyone is standing behind them or anything. At the last performance of Believe this summer, this poor guy in front of me was standing there for about an hour, video-camera ready, and 5 minutes into the show, this father cut in front of him and put his daughter up on his shoulders, completely ruining the guy's video.

The nicest parents I've seen always turn around and check if someone's behind them, or stand off to the side so they won't block another's view. That's respectful.

katiesue
10-23-2003, 11:15 AM
I hate the kids on the shoulder as well. It's happened to me numerous times. I have a child too but that doesn't mean she gets to block the 85 people behind me. You can find spots where the kids can see or just pick them up - not putting them on your shoulders and they'll be able to see just as well but you don't block everyone.

101 in the hippo pool
10-23-2003, 11:17 AM
Cutting in line is bad....so is cutting people off on the freeway or playing the "oh! does this lane end? I guess I should merge now that I have gone as far as I can" game...anyone here ever do that?

Niwel
10-23-2003, 11:32 AM
Had it happen a few weeks ago in the line to obtain a FastPass for HMH. A mother and two daughters (preteen/teenagers) were cutting their way through the line -- I saw them coming up to me when I reached the archway. I put my hand on the arch, looked at the daughter and said, "Hi, where are you going?"
She looked at me and said, "We are getting our FastPasses."
With a smile on my face I said, "So am I. And so are all those people in line behind me [gesturing to the line]. The end of the line is back there."
(What the heck did they think we were all waiting for?)
So the three of them turned around to head to the back of the line and the people behind me said, "we were wondering if they would be stopped."

I know sometimes people don't realize they are cutting (i.e. when the entrance/exit isn't clearly marked). But come on, if you see a group of people waiting -- chances are they aren't standing there for their health)

Sidenote: I REALLY HATE when one person is saving a place in line and then 20 members of their family show up. You know who these people are. I think we've done a thread on proper behavior.

Good rule of thumb: Careful what you do line-wise at the park, because the Disneyland karma gods are watching.

Nephythys
10-23-2003, 11:35 AM
I had a similar experience. I took Rose to Disney on Ice when she was 2. She had an icee in a Chip cup (Beauty & the Beast on ice) and she accidentally knocked it over the rail and it got on a ladies shoulder and her bag. She was there with little kids herself. I apologized and tried to help her clean it up and she just glared at me and would not acknowledge my apology.

I think some people are just mean:mad: