PDA

View Full Version : DCA becoming Disney Studios?

md6379a
01-13-2015, 08:42 PM
The "California" theme of DCA has (I think it's safe to say) never been really well-received. It's not imaginative or interesting; it's not very Disney.

Now, all of the changes to DCA have either moved away from or at least not reinforced the California theme (especially Paradise Pier changing the California references to character references; and obviously Cars Land). I realize Buena Vista Street is a California street, but even it doesn't really emphasize the California aspect (it emphasizes the "Disney" aspect).

Could all of this set the stage for an eventual (even if quite a while in the future) broader rechristening of the park, perhaps to a Disney Studios? Personally, I feel like that could finally make the park more fully "Disney."

(As an additional note: Paradise Pier could eventually be transformed into, say, an animation-themed land, with the removal of the amusement park rides; it even already has Toy Story and Ariel..)

Does anyone have thoughts on this?

olegc
01-14-2015, 08:51 AM
far fetched idea in my opinion. They already changed the name once (though it was subtle) and the other lands still emphasis parts of California life through the decades (though we lose the 50s era and aerospace history with the disappearance of Condor Flats). You still have a ton of architectural references on BVS and Hollywoodland - and Carsland is all about Route 66 through California (and of course the desert). Its not direct - but its there. The Character takeover has been happening for some time now - even before Carsland came to be. It was discussed before by execs that guests expect character references in the parks - though I would take someone to task to show my how many of the streets in DHS in Florida have specific Disney names - stores have Disney themes but the layout is still old town Hollywood and famous street neighborhoods.

Here at DCA - Hollywoodland actually seemed out of place in that it could never come up with a cohesive theme since you had Monsters Inc, Muppets, and ToT. DHS west maybe? the remainder I think is still a viable California theme. When they relaunched for Carsland and BVS was added they did a very extensive review of the backstory for everthing. Even if they add more characters to Paradise Pier its still a viable overall theme I would think.

oregontraveler
01-14-2015, 09:09 AM
I like it the way it is, especially with the new Grizzly Airfield next to GRR. The characters are limited to BVS and Hollywoodland, teh Red Trollley & period costumes keep the 20's theming going. Carsland is perfect the way it is and Paradise Pier has been improved with the Victorian overlay, continuing over to the food court (& the Garden Grill) I l like the remains of the San Franciisco home facades nest to Ariel's ride. Not sure if they will ever put something new in the old Maliboomer spot.

MidwayManiac
01-14-2015, 09:21 AM
Here at DCA - Hollywoodland actually seemed out of place in that it could never come up with a cohesive theme since you had Monsters Inc, Muppets, and ToT. DHS west maybe? the remainder I think is still a viable California theme. When they relaunched for Carsland and BVS was added they did a very extensive review of the backstory for everthing. Even if they add more characters to Paradise Pier its still a viable overall theme I would think.

That's a pretty well-stated, cogent analysis oleg. Thanks. Although rumor of a planned "Soarin' Over the World", if true, doesn't support California as a theme as well as it did previously.

olegc
01-14-2015, 09:50 AM
That's a pretty well-stated, cogent analysis oleg. Thanks. Although rumor of a planned "Soarin' Over the World", if true, doesn't support California as a theme as well as it did previously.

well in general the Grizzly area which was supposed to be in the 20s at the time of Teddy Roosevelt may now be twisted because of Soarin Over the World and the fact that the airfield is peppered with some of the planes from Panes:Fire and Rescue. so now we're getting to the point of saying the lands are "inspired by" parts of California which allows for even more stretching of theme (note this is my thought nothing official from Disney).

Toocherie
01-16-2015, 09:40 AM

I am hoping that when "Soarin' Over the World" comes to DCA there will still be an option the see the original film (new print of course)

olegc
01-16-2015, 11:56 AM
I am hoping that when "Soarin' Over the World" comes to DCA there will still be an option the see the original film (new print of course)

probably only on a throwback night. It would be problematic for them to have one theater with one film and the other with the second - operationally the lines would be unpredictable and difficult to manage from hour to hour and day to day.

danyoung
01-16-2015, 12:26 PM

If they do figger out a way to do it, there won't be a need for a new print, as the entire projection chain will be digital - a computer serving up a video file directly to the projectors (no film at all!).

Gone2Disneyland
01-16-2015, 05:28 PM

This makes me think why they don't currently screen Star Tours v. 1.0. I think if Disneyland develops a new version of an attraction yet continues to present the older version side by side, it kind of defeats the purpose of investing in and presenting a brand new edition to begin with.