PDA

View Full Version : Soarin' - closed for what kind of refurb?

Pages : [1] 2

sjhanksaz
01-11-2015, 12:27 PM
Soaring is closed for quite a while this year. Are they changing the film? I have heard rumors.

I saw that it looks like the Condor Flats is going away and the area will become a fight area for Grizzly Peaks right?

3Princesses1Prince
01-11-2015, 02:00 PM
Yes. It's getting a new film

oregontraveler
01-11-2015, 03:27 PM
Apparently, its called Soarin' Over The World. But we won't see it until the Shanghai park opens. They were supposed to film a new flyover sequence of both DCA & DL last March. In the meantime, the 70mm film projectors are being retired and new digital ones installed.

sjhanksaz
01-11-2015, 03:49 PM
Having grown up in CA I always loved the film. hope they show it once and a while.

Nightwing
01-12-2015, 08:33 AM
Having grown up in CA I always loved the film. hope they show it once and a while.

Same here. Am a native California and one of my favorite rides in any park! And deathly abrade of heights! ^_^

Now with a HD digital system they can easy change the flight movie! So seasonal or specials can be done much easier. The one area I hope they don't change too much is the line area inside the bld. Love just looking and reading about the people from California that made Aviation!

Hum. The restaurant is schedule to reopen Mar 12... And the stuff along that trail will also go referb through Mar 12 - 19. Hopping for a early soft opening for Soarin!!!!!!

Dave1313
01-12-2015, 11:14 AM
Now with a HD digital system they can easy change the flight movie! So seasonal or specials can be done much easier. .............

Maybe easier to change the movie shown on the screen, but isn't it still plenty complicated when they film them?

It would seem a lot of coordination is needed and it's real complicated clearance for aircraft type of issues. (Maybe less so for out of the way areas, but a big deal for the part that ends over DL in the current film!)

oregontraveler
01-12-2015, 11:46 AM
Maybe easier to change the movie shown on the screen, but isn't it still plenty complicated when they film them?

It would seem a lot of coordination is needed and it's real complicated clearance for aircraft type of issues. (Maybe less so for out of the way areas, but a big deal for the part that ends over DL in the current film!)

Yes, I think they needed FAA approval for the latest flyover DLR, might have been to avoid heavy air traffic in the area. And according to Wikipedia, the test run they did over the LA rush hour traffic & Staples Center was used in the final cut.

Drince88
01-13-2015, 03:31 AM
Now with a HD digital system they can easy change the flight movie! So seasonal or specials can be done much easier.

Except it's not as easy as just changing the 'film'. They have to program the motion and 'smell-o-vision' portions of the attraction. And that requires testing, too. One of the big complaints about a now-closed simulator attraction in Epcot (Body Wars, which had the same ride tech as Star Tours) was that the film and motion were just a tad off, which made it more-illness inducing than it would otherwise be.

olegc
01-13-2015, 07:50 AM
Except it's not as easy as just changing the 'film'. They have to program the motion and 'smell-o-vision' portions of the attraction. And that requires testing, too. One of the big complaints about a now-closed simulator attraction in Epcot (Body Wars, which had the same ride tech as Star Tours) was that the film and motion were just a tad off, which made it more-illness inducing than it would otherwise be.

i have never seen any movie-based attractions (even Disney ones) - having their movies easily swapped out. That's the pitch when they first design it - and the bean counters love it - but in the end as Drince88 points out its not as easy as simply changing disks (or in the old days reels).

oregontraveler
01-13-2015, 08:52 AM
i have never seen any movie-based attractions (even Disney ones) - having their movies easily swapped out. That's the pitch when they first design it - and the bean counters love it - but in the end as Drince88 points out its not as easy as simply changing disks (or in the old days reels).

I know this isn't the best solution, but it might be an easier alternative. Add some monitors in the queue and play the Cal version off DVD.

sjhanksaz
01-13-2015, 09:33 AM
I am sure the new discs or system will be all integrated - meaning it will tell the ride computers how to run while playing the show. In that case changing movies should be as simple as changing a disc or the file it is running from.

olegc
01-13-2015, 10:25 AM
I am sure the new discs or system will be all integrated - meaning it will tell the ride computers how to run while playing the show. In that case changing movies should be as simple as changing a disc or the file it is running from.

Ummm, sure, that's how it works. :rolleyes: its a little more complex than that. And besides any integrated system still requires testing.

carolinakid
01-13-2015, 10:34 AM

I wondered why Body Wars always gave me a headache, to the point where I stopped visiting the attraction, and Star Tours never did/does. Makes sense.

Disneyphile
01-13-2015, 03:02 PM
Maybe they're adding a loop? ;)

I hope they clean it up well. That screen and/or film has been a bit dirty for awhile now.

candles71
01-13-2015, 08:58 PM
i have never seen any movie-based attractions (even Disney ones) - having their movies easily swapped out. That's the pitch when they first design it - and the bean counters love it - but in the end as Drince88 points out its not as easy as simply changing disks (or in the old days reels). To the degree that Universal Hollywood made the Simpson's Ride film around the movements of the old Back to the Future ride, not the other way around.

danyoung
01-14-2015, 06:55 AM
I hope they clean it up well. That screen and/or film has been a bit dirty for awhile now.

If they change to digital, this problem will totally disappear. Instead of running film through a projector, it'll be a digital file feeding a digital projector. There will be nowhere in the display chain for those little dirt gremlins to insert themselves. It should be a beautiful, bright, CLEAN image - can't wait!

sjhanksaz
01-14-2015, 07:21 AM
If they change to digital, this problem will totally disappear. Instead of running film through a projector, it'll be a digital file feeding a digital projector. There will be nowhere in the display chain for those little dirt gremlins to insert themselves. It should be a beautiful, bright, CLEAN image - can't wait!

Only if the keep the lens clean and people top tossing gum at the screen

olegc
01-14-2015, 08:53 AM

Only if the keep the lens clean and people top tossing gum at the screen

Would they have to change the materials on the surface of the screen? I would think the digital camera may have a higher output of light and the bright, crisp picture may make some of those subtle patterns in the screen panels be more visible.

oregontraveler
01-14-2015, 09:02 AM
Would they have to change the materials on the surface of the screen? I would think the digital camera may have a higher output of light and the bright, crisp picture may make some of those subtle patterns in the screen panels be more visible.

I don't think so, I imagine they already have a screen thats able to handle the resolution of 70mm film. It is delicate material and need alot of TLC with cleaning.

danyoung
01-14-2015, 09:07 AM
I read somewhere that they're changing the screen in this refurb, too.

Nightwing
01-14-2015, 09:29 AM
I read somewhere that they're changing the screen in this refurb, too.

Would make sense since the referb is slated for a long period of time. And the screens do show some wear now and need to be twik for the new system.

sjhanksaz
01-14-2015, 05:07 PM
Seems like Imax screens have a curve to them and they don't seem to be made up of smaller square panels that you can see.

Nightwing
01-14-2015, 06:51 PM
Seems like Imax screens have a curve to them and they don't seem to be made up of smaller square panels that you can see.

Feels like curved panels.

Ohthatjeff
01-16-2015, 07:26 AM

I wondered why Body Wars always gave me a headache, to the point where I stopped visiting the attraction, and Star Tours never did/does. Makes sense.

I've heard the problem with The Simpsons ride at Universal, that for as close as they got it they didn't sync it up exactly with the BttF footage and it throws some people's balance off.

candles71
01-16-2015, 07:47 AM
I've heard the problem with The Simpsons ride at Universal, that for as close as they got it they didn't sync it up exactly with the BttF footage and it throws some people's balance off.
Interesting, we have no troubles with it. Haven't even noticed if it isn't synced well, and we usually notice when things aren't synced by even a little bit. I'll have to pay more attention.