PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland has reached an all-time low!

Pages : [1] 2

BJW
10-21-2003, 09:26 PM
I went to the resort last week for 3 days. I stayed at the PPH and shelled out over $600 for the room. While the room wasn't bad and I knew about the current closures as mentioned on Disneyland.com as well as on this site (Big Thunder, Space Mtn, Splash, etc.), what was remaining was constantly having problems. During one of the days Pirates and Mansion were both down for most of the day. Star Tours had one cabin running, which broke down while I was in line. With a fastpass it took me 45 mins. to get on. The park was as crowded as a summer day, if not more due to fall break at many schools and yet hours were not increased. (The park closed at 8 pm) The other rides were very poorly maintained. On Pirates our boat was filled with water up to our ankles in the back row due to a leak, which caused the boat to tilt and sink in places. At the bottom of the second drop I had to jump on my grandmother to avoid hitting my head on a rock because of the way the boat tilted. We had to be walked out of Roger Rabbit. We were stuck on Winnie the Pooh several minutes. Same story with Indiana Jones. What was almost comical was how they staffed a CM outside of BTMR and Splash to reassure guests the rides were still safe. They would get tongue-tied when asked why so many rides not in rehab were breaking down. I watched how one of them handled 3 of the families. Many were screaming at City Hall CMs asking for a refund, which some got. Others settled for comp. fastpasses. I spoke with guest communications and they plan to do nothing to make up for this vacation. I will more than likely cancel my room at the GCH in December since even open rides only run part time anyway. I strongly recommend if any non-locals are planning to go here in the near future you should postpone until maintenance gets stepped up. Anyone else want to post some disasterous experiences at the resort as of late?

sleepyjeff
10-21-2003, 09:55 PM
As Jerry Seinfeld would say; "that sounds about right".

Chris Lang
10-21-2003, 10:55 PM
I was also at the Resort last week (the 13th thru the 15th) and had a wonderful time. Sorry to hear that you experienced so many ride breakdowns. Pirates was being a bit "strange" (brighter light than usual, some CM's were scurrying around), but nothing "broke down" while we were in the park.

I'm hoping you asked to ride Pirates again after your bad experience with a leaky boat, ditto for the other attractions that broke down while you were on them. If you're not willing to let them try to fix the problem, then there isn't much they can do for you. Comping your Hotel stay doesn't really seem appropriate or justified, and your admission does not guarantee that all attractions and shows will be operating.

By reading this site, and knowing of the closures, is it unreasonable to assume other attractions may break down due to strain? Normally if Pirates and/or Mansion breaks down, it's not a big issue because of other rides like Splash, Space, etc, but when they have 3 major attractions down, any problems will be greatly magnified and people do get angry. Star Tours is also running in limited fashion because of a rehab.

The reality is that somebody died on Big Thunder, which pushed back the rehab schedules for other attractions that really needed them. Splash HAD to be rehabbed before the Holiday season, and they have been trying their hardest to get it open again. Space is going thru a rebuild.

Mansion had just gone thru a major overlay with many new effects and their own problems associated with those effects. I know they've been having issues with the Doombuggies speed.

So, I think your frustration is justified, but I think what you experienced was not the norm (and certainly not what I saw and experienced on my trip last week). The park closing at 8:00 on weekdays is pretty typical for this time of year, too.

I will say that if people want to experience the most attractions, longer hours and extra activities, the off-season is probably not the best choice, and a trip after Thanksgiving is probably a better idea.

justagrrl
10-22-2003, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by Chris Lang

I will say that if people want to experience the most attractions, longer hours and extra activities, the off-season is probably not the best choice, and a trip after Thanksgiving is probably a better idea.

Just curious - have you ever been there after Thanksgiving?

Chris Lang
10-22-2003, 10:52 AM
I have, and I'm not saying it's not going to be a madhouse with the droves and droves of people (especially this year with Big Thunder and Space down), but if you want minimal ride refurbs, longer hours and the holiday parades and fireworks, this is the time to do it.

I prefer to visit the park in early March when it's pretty quiet, but I go expecting rides to be down for refurbishment, limited hours, and the absence of things like "Fantasmic" and "Believe".

BJW
10-22-2003, 10:57 AM
Chris,
I was at the resort the 15th, 16th, and 17th, maybe I was there a couple days too late. I did tell the lead at Pirates about my problems, but he did nothing. He claimed that was a normal problem, the boats were old and leaked all the time, there's nothing they can do, etc. I was willing to let them try to fix the problem, but they weren't willing to fix it. None of these attractions gave me a complimentary ride. When I joined the angry mob at City Hall, the APers were all given comp. fastpasses and non-APers were given comp admission passes. This was hardly a solution to the problem, as I had to wait 30 mins. to use these passes anyway the way the fastpass lines were. (I used mine on Screamin and Matterhorn, which took nearly 30 mins.) I would not have booked that overpriced room had I not have counted on the current roster of attractions to be running. It is not unreasonable to expect these rides to be in good shape, they all had their rehabs too and should be in working order. Also, Star Tours was not on any rehab list I knew of. If this was a couple hundred dollars spent I wouldn't be so upset but this was nearly $1,000 total with room and food and to have a full day with most major rides closed is a complete rip-off! Actually, the off season used to be the best time to experience Disneyland. You had less entertainment and a couple rides in rehab but you trade that in for less crowds, easier pace, etc.

Chris Lang
10-22-2003, 11:11 AM
It's unfortunate what has become commonplace on attractions (leaky boats, constant breakdowns), has gotten to a point where Disney feels they don't need to compensate a guest for a truly bad experience at the park, AP-Holder or not.

Fastpass, unfortunately, has turned into just another line, and what was once a convienience is probably just going to be a hassle. I was lucky enough to have the 'unlimited' fastpass last week, but definately felt that the regular $47 guest was getting shafted.

I, too, feel that the Disney Hotels are too overpriced for what they offer. Especially with the current monorail fiasco, there really is no incentive to stay on property.

I'm sorry if my first post seemed a bit mean-spirited. Your vacation was a big disappointment and Disney did very little to compensate for their own problems.

- Chris

fairytalelover
10-22-2003, 11:19 AM
I think you should write a detailed letter to DL about your horrible experience.

Rallymonkey23
10-22-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by fairytalelover
I think you should write a detailed letter to DL about your horrible experience.

Yeah, and gett the response:

Dear Disneyland guest, were sorry...sorry...sorry...blah blah blah....

We hope to have you as a guest again......... :rolleyes:

millionairegirl
10-22-2003, 12:54 PM
I have NEVER had a leaky boat on Pirates of the Caribbean. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I would be shocked if this occurred. I find it odd that so many people have so many bad experiences at Disneyland, and none of them have happened to me. Sure sometimes there is the odd audio anamatronic that won't blink it's eyes or I notice paint that's peeling, but it doesn't ruin my trip. Some times a ride may stop briefly but usually that's due to the safety mechanisms on the ride. I've never been walked out of a ride either, but I'm dying to. Maybe next weekend, sigh. On Thursday the 16th they were definitely running Star Tours cabs #3 and #4. I agree the parks were packed though!

Chris Lang
10-22-2003, 02:22 PM
I've never been evac'd from a ride either, nor have I ever experienced a major problem on any attraction. Of course, I don't visit the park every week, either.

- Chris

Freerider127
10-22-2003, 03:19 PM
Thats truly sucks that your trip was that way. I feel its totally wrong for Disney to have those type of conditions at the park when people are paying thousands of dollars for a trip and are not enjoying that. Its stupid for Disney for making guests angry because alot of people are ending up canceling their trips which is causing less revenue for Disney.

kijay
10-22-2003, 03:35 PM
This is exactly why my family and I are not going to Disneyland again for awhile. We will forgoe our trip this year to save for a trip to WDW. It seems nothing good is coming out of Anaheim anymore. If you want exciting new E-ticket rides, you got to go to WDW. Where are the new E-Tickests for Disneyland?????? I only can hope with the change in management at Dland that we get a true change in direction, and these issues get addressed. These small details that used to be the specialty of the Disneyland Resort are now ignored, and peoples vacations are ruined because of it. Spending that kind of money on a trip that leaves you that frustrated and upset is absurd. No, we can't expect everything to be perfect, but if there is a problem we have every right to expect a caring, heartfelt response to our problem, with an honest attempt to resolve whatever situation has arisen. It is called "Customer Service". Lately, from reading these forums and reading the online columns, it seems that the suits at TDA have forgotten what really makes people happy, that most guests just want to be treated as if they actually mattered. I honestly do not feel that is asking too much of Disney, to remember that the customer comes first. Walt always thought that way.:crying:

MagicB4Money
10-22-2003, 06:41 PM
BJW, we were there about the same time. Similar experiences. I think if my Pirates boat sank, that would be the icing on the cake.

BJW
10-22-2003, 06:43 PM
Chris, I agree. I think that also they are just using fastpass as an excuse to offer the guest less and less. Guest communications assured me that all of my comments would be forwarded to "T" Irby. I asked them how I would know Irby got my comments. They said there was no way they could confirm it as he never answers letters personally and once their office puts something on file it's considered a closed case. I wonder if he really gets the letters, surely with all the complaints pouring in he will want to do something. The CMs handling the complaints treated me and the other complainers like we were pests that wouldn't go away and even raised their voices at us a couple times. One CM even said, "Our resort has over 80 attractions and we aren't concerned because just a handful breakdown." I wonder if the shops and microfactories are considered attractions in this count?:)

averagecuppajoe
10-22-2003, 07:31 PM
I completely understand where you're coming from. You put out the unecessary extra cash to stay at a DL hotel and end up having a lousy time at the park. To top it off, it seems like no one is overly concerned that your stay hasn't been up to par. I'd be having a hissy fit myself. And lousy excuses, after the fact, don't make up for a trip that was dissatisfying.

I appreciate the optimistic outlook other people have, but whether or not someone else had positive experiences the week before or even the same day is irrelevant. I'd like to think that if you explain your situation, something would be done.

One more thing, I don't think that comping the hotel $ is asking too much. Not that I think it will happen. We all know that refurbishments are taking place. There are still days when everything seems to break down and no one has answers. If I'm traveling a distance and expecting the other rides to be functioning normally, and putting down $$$$ for my visit, I think they owe me a good time, or at least the opportunity (the rest of the rides running properly) to do so.

Lashbear
10-22-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by BJW
One CM even said, "Our resort has over 80 attractions and we aren't concerned because just a handful breakdown."
Holy Cow ! That's really got Pixie Dust ..... Not !! :eek:

101 in the hippo pool
10-23-2003, 11:11 AM
Seems to me the problem is really that you over extended yourself budget wise. If you can't afford to stay at a particular hotel, then don't. To complain that you paid for "an overpiced room" is ridiculous and now you want money taken off that charge? hmmm. The price you paid is the price you agreed to pay, nothing more nothing less.

ATTRACTIONS BREAK DOWN

It's a fact of life. Go do something else instead! Disney works hard to make the magic, CM's work hard to make the magic. Guests must also work at making the magic as unpopular a statement as that may be.

my 3 cents

Towmod
10-23-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by kijay
This is exactly why my family and I are not going to Disneyland again for awhile. We will forgoe our trip this year to save for a trip to WDW. It seems nothing good is coming out of Anaheim anymore. If you want exciting new E-ticket rides, you got to go to WDW. Where are the new E-Tickests for Disneyland?????? I only can hope with the change in management at Dland that we get a true change in direction, and these issues get addressed. These small details that used to be the specialty of the Disneyland Resort are now ignored, and peoples vacations are ruined because of it. Spending that kind of money on a trip that leaves you that frustrated and upset is absurd. No, we can't expect everything to be perfect, but if there is a problem we have every right to expect a caring, heartfelt response to our problem, with an honest attempt to resolve whatever situation has arisen. It is called "Customer Service". Lately, from reading these forums and reading the online columns, it seems that the suits at TDA have forgotten what really makes people happy, that most guests just want to be treated as if they actually mattered. I honestly do not feel that is asking too much of Disney, to remember that the customer comes first. Walt always thought that way.:crying:

By going to WDW instead of DL, you have effectively walked right into Disney's trap. Just like Exxon Mobil, does it really matter at which gas station of theirs you buy gas from? What incentive have you given Disney to change its ways? Your best bet is to boycott or even better go spend your moneys with a competitor.

dsnylndmom
10-23-2003, 11:54 AM
AFter every trip to DL I email them with the positives and negatives of my trip and always get a response. Sometimes it's a thank you for letting us know about your trip type of response sometimes it's not. That would be my suggestion.

stinkerbell
10-23-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Towmod
Your best bet is to boycott or even better go spend your moneys with a competitor. Unofficially, this is our plan until 2005. We're going to explore other family destinations and not spend our time at Disneyland this next year. Too many disappointments on our visit two weeks ago. I didn't even renew my AP, and I have no regrets.

Yet. ;)

Towmod
10-23-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by stinkerbell
Too many disappointments on our visit two weeks ago. I didn't even renew my AP, and I have no regrets. Yet. ;)

While its not the same, my daughter works for Six Flags California (gee is that where Disney go the idea for a two park resort name?), but at least they are putting in new rides all the time and we get in for free. It will have to do for now.

cstephens
10-23-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Towmod
While its not the same, my daughter works for Six Flags California (gee is that where Disney go the idea for a two park resort name?)

Actually, that's not the name of the place. I think there's only one Six Flags park in California (though I could be mistaken), and it's called Six Flags Magic Mountain (which has a water park attached to it, the name of which I forget at the moment).

millionairegirl
10-23-2003, 01:12 PM
Hurricane Harbor.

And yet again goes another Summer with living in California and never going to a Californian water park. Sigh.

averagecuppajoe
10-23-2003, 01:19 PM
Six Flags Marine World in Vallejo, CA.