PDA

View Full Version : Once again WDW does something we don't

Lost Boy
10-21-2003, 07:37 PM
Well, if you go to www.disneyforever.com and watch the videos that have been posted today, you will see that The Magic Kingdom in Florida opens there Park with a full musical show at the outside area of the Main Entrance area to open the Park with song and dance in period costumes and then the arrival of the Train with Mickey and the gang to officially open the Park. In the second video, there is another song and dance done right on Main Street by performes, again in period costumes, coming in on the horse drawn trolley. Maybe I am being pessimistic here, but I guess our Main Entrance and Mains Street are too small for this type of thing, but that opening is something else. To bad our Team Disney Anaheim can't pull off something like this in our Park. Maybe not exactly the same, but something big and flashy like this.

kwlundy
10-22-2003, 08:52 AM
Between Disneyland and WDW, Disneyland will always be my favorite. I, too, am excited when I learn that Disneyland is doing something that WDW isn't...it just makes sense, right?

However, I also realize that it costs money to do these kinds of things. And we all know that WDW brings in far more tourists (along with their money, of course), so it makes sense when we keep hearing reports about WDW doing this, and making that, and it seems that Disneyland is being left in the dust. Even if Walt were alive today, I'm sure he would be spending the money at WDW...because he was a business man too, and he would have realized, you spend the money where it's coming in.

Now, I know there will be those that argue "Walt wouldn't have done that". I ask you...how would you know that he wouldn't?

millionairegirl
10-22-2003, 09:10 AM
There are A LOT of things that Disneyland does that the Magic Kingdom does not do. No jazz bands playing in the streets, no fire department sax o phone group riding up and down main street, no brass band playing on their Liberty Belle riverboat, possibly no barber shop quartet but I may just have missed them. The Magic Kingdom does not have half the magic Disneyland has.

Queenie
10-22-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Lost Boy
Well, if you go to www.disneyforever.com and watch the videos that have been posted today, you will see that The Magic Kingdom in Florida opens there Park with a full musical show at the outside area of the Main Entrance area to open the Park with song and dance in period costumes and then the arrival of the Train with Mickey and the gang to officially open the Park. In the second video, there is another song and dance done right on Main Street by performes, again in period costumes, coming in on the horse drawn trolley. Maybe I am being pessimistic here, but I guess our Main Entrance and Mains Street are too small for this type of thing, but that opening is something else. To bad our Team Disney Anaheim can't pull off something like this in our Park. Maybe not exactly the same, but something big and flashy like this.

Ha! Let me tell you what really goes on at Magic Kingdom opening. I was at the Magic Kingdom about a half hour before opening last February because, the last time I had been to the Magic Kingdom at opening, Main Street was open for shopping before park opening and then they had a nice little rope-drop ceremony at the end of Main Street. It seemed like a nice way to start a day in the Magic Kingdom.

However, this last February, we went through the gates and immediately found ourselves jammed between the turnstiles and the passage under the train station. It was cold. It was raining. The crowd kept growing until, at 9:00, the area was packed with cranky wet people. Then they had a little ceremony of some kind that no one could see because we were all packed behind other people. If the train was in any way involved, I missed it because, well, I was jammed in a crowd too close to the lower area of the station to actually see what was going on up where the trains pull through.

It was really a very pathetic and miserable experience--nothing at all like what the Magic Kingdom opening used to be.

laldava
10-22-2003, 05:28 PM
I saw the trolley show on main st. when I was at the MK this summer. It was nice and all but the Jazz Bands and tap dancers that perform in New Orleans Square at DL are much cooler, especially during the holidays, with the whole Mardi Gras themed christmas decor.

Lost Boy
10-22-2003, 07:56 PM
Please don't get me wrong, or put words into my mouth/keyboard. I in no way meant to even insinuate that WDW was better that Disneyland. You all know me well enough by now to know that I love Disneyland above any other Theme Park in the world! Despite my occaisional rants and gripes, there is no other place I would rather be. Of course right now that is impossible with the MTA on strike, there is no way for me to get to the Resort. Until this nasty strike business is over, I am stuck at home.
There is no way that WDW could do anything to take that magic away. I was only wishing that we could have a full show like that when the Park opened, even if it was only during the summer. I just thought it was neat, that's all.

mystycalchyk
10-23-2003, 01:17 PM
I saw both those 'shows' when we were there in May. I will admit I enjoyed them. But the big gaping hole that was left in my heart after realising there was no such creature as New Orleans Square far outweighed any singing and dancing.

Theres lots of differences in the parks, and I love Disneyland with all my heart and soul. The MK in WDW left me feeling empty. I enjoyed Epcot and MGM and all the rest, and I enjoyed the colonial part of MK that was in place of NOS. But Disney aint Disney without NOS.

Both places have their pluses and minuses. And both have their die hard fans who insist theirs is the best.

I just so happen to be standing on the Disneyland side of that rope :fez:

Polar33
10-23-2003, 02:44 PM
I saw the trolly show when I went in May. I honestly am glad that we don't have it here. It was a nice preformance and all, but it got very repetive. I didn't spend a whole lot of time on Main Street, but I saw the show atleast seven times during my stay just in passing. It seemed like they were always doing a performance. They would stop in three different places and just travel back and forth endlessly, preforming at each stop. Also, because of said show, they wern't running the other Main Street Vehicles or allowing any trolly rides at all, which was something I was hoping to be able to do.