PDA

View Full Version : Future of Club 33?

tikiboy
10-21-2003, 04:28 PM
Ever since 1967 when Club 33 opened its doors, there has been a mystique about it. Very secretive, very exclusive. And when one thinks of exclusivity, one thinks of greatness. But has Club 33's time come and gone? When I worked there in 1997-1998 I could tell that the place needed a lot of work. The place just had an overall musty smell to it.

In 2001, Napa Rose opened with the Grand Californian. The food there is more exquisite, more refined, and thier wine list is top notch. Even in today's OC Register is was reported that Michael Jordan, the GM of Napa Rose, recieved the Certified Wine Educator title. Only 180 people have recieved this since 1980.

Is Disney intentionally letting Club 33 sink into mediocrity? If so, why? People pay a lot of money to be members of this "club."
What do they get for it?

Club 33 is not even a club, it's a restaurant. When I was working as a greeter I was embarrased to tell people who showed up 20 minutes early, "Can you come back in 10 minutes?" There is no room upstairs for people who don't have a table. Since the bar is backstage there's no place for people to lounge. Not even in the "lounge!" On saturday nights, I recall putting tables in the lounge area!!

So what is going to happen? Right now, Napa Rose is the culinary jewel of the resort. For all its hype, Club 33 should be tops. Will it ever be again?

Freerider127
10-21-2003, 05:14 PM
I dont know if its ever going to come back to its full state but the people that are members pay alot of money and they should get what they payed for which is an exclusive club. Its pretty interesting that you worked there, I was wondering what is Napa rose?

RStar
10-21-2003, 06:49 PM
Napa Rose is a restaurant in the Grand Californian Hotel.

Ghoulish Delight
10-21-2003, 07:05 PM
A good sign for its future is the fact that they recently refurbished the balcony off the main dining room that overlooks the river. Sadly it had gotten to a state that it wasn't even safe to walk on when I was fortunate enough to visit the club. But at least they've now done something about it. Hopefully that bodes well for the future.

The food was decent. Not fabulous. It was only a sunday brunch, not dinner. They share a kitchen with Blue Bayou, correct?

Lost Boy
10-21-2003, 07:17 PM
I had the very great fortune to have a full dinner experience at Club 33 last year with the Fabulous Disney Babe, Jim Hill and Paul Berry (Of Country Bear Playhouse Website fame) and I must say that it was the most wonderful and unique dinning experience I have ever had. Now I will admit I don't dine in expensive restaraunts all that often, but the service, decor, food and "atmosphere" were wonderful. We had a great dinner service by first class waiters and waitresses and I thought the food was the best I have ever had anywhere. The service was unlike anything I had ever seen. There was no musty smell and everyone that was with our group had a great time. After our 3-hour dinner we went out on the front balcony and watched Believe from there. It was a perfect end to a perfect night. I especially liked the dark woods and pictures along with the actual furniture that Walt purchased and that is still there. The place could not have been better as far as I was converened. I saw nothing wrong with it at all.

Lashbear
10-21-2003, 07:28 PM
I think they could refurbish the AA figurines in there. That would be something way better than Napa Rose could offer.

tikiboy
10-21-2003, 08:30 PM
Contrary to popular belief, the club actually has its own kitchen. It's right above the pieces of eight shop. Small, but it gets the job done.

It's good to hear from Lost Boy that things weren't too bad. Maybe things have been cleaned up.

My main beef(mmmm...I did like the chatau briand) is why doesn't the club have a world class sommelier, or a world class chef(like Napa Rose)? It just doesn't seem that Disney is kicking in the money it should to that place.

LegolandMC
10-22-2003, 06:27 AM
The balcony isn't the only thing that's gotten attention lately. Several areas of the restaurant have been getting overhauled over the last year or two. Including the thrones in the girls bathroom! :D

FabShelly
10-22-2003, 08:21 AM
Simon's fixing the sommelier thing, doing intensive training after hours (I got to sit in on one of the sessions), and several of the servers either have gotten or are in the process of getting their sommelier pin.

Fab